BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I'm about to buy my first bimmer a 2006 325xi with sport package and before I approach the dealer with a offer I wanted to know if I could get an opinion about how the tread on the tire pictured below looks.

The carfax showed that tires had been mounted about 1 year into the original ownership of the car and I'm not sure if that means new tires or if the tires were simply rotated. Anyway, the car has the dreaded Turanza EL42 tires on it. I'm a complete newbie and have never owned a car with RFT tires and would appreciate it if people could chime in on if the tire pictured below looks like it would need to be replaced in the very near future. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hard to tell much from the photos, especially the condition of the inside shoulder. Why not go to an auto parts store and buy a cheap tire tread depth gauge and measure tread depth? Anything less than 4/32" will need replacement soon. Also note if the wear is even from side to side and if the tread edges are scalloped. By the way, I have RFT's on my '07 328i coupe and I don't find them as hateful as many would have you believe.

·
Registered
181 Posts
's

The inside looks thin to me. Maybe it's the picture. Try to get him to replace them to seal the deal. One thing I would make the dealer do is get the brake dust off of the wheels. That's one half ass detail job! GH

·
Registered
188 Posts
The inside looks thin to me. Maybe it's the picture. Try to get him to replace them to seal the deal. One thing I would make the dealer do is get the brake dust off of the wheels. That's one half ass detail job! GH
being a '06, the tire tread looks a little shallow. see if the dealer will replace like gh41 said.
and if they can't even get the dirt off the inside of the rim, look other places he may of missed to see if there's issues; engine bay, wheel wells, and the door panels.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.