BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

how fast have you taken your bmw.

5861 Views 102 Replies 78 Participants Last post by  Nick540
when driving home late at night it's pretty easy to do a couple of miles over the speed limit. i i was just curious to see how fast everyone has gone in their car.
1 - 20 of 103 Posts
I don't push it at night. You can't see cops.

Tonight, I was driving home, other cars spaced far apart. My usual strategy here is to never be the fastest guy on the road (second-fastest :angel: ), stay out of the fast lane, pick a lane where I'm not near anyone else, and don't pass in an adjacent lane at a high difference in speed.

I'm driving along at 75 in the second lane, my mirror dimmed, and I see a headlight and front corner marker go by, and guess it's a prev-gen Mustang. The Mustang passes me, probably going 85.

About 15 seconds later, another set of headlights passes my window, and it's a CHP cruiser, making the same speed. I wait for the cruiser to get out of headlight range, then speed up to tail the cop and see what his hurry is. I start to lose him, cause he's picking up speed, and I don't want to be close enough for pacing shenanigans, but eventually, two exits down, he got his Mustang.

Cool cop, at least for me. :eeps: :angel:
cgajjar330i said:
when driving home late at night it's pretty easy to do a couple of miles over the speed limit. i i was just curious to see how fast everyone has gone in their car.
110 mph on the 91 freeway.

It was 6:00 am on a Sunday morning. I had just finished the obligatory 1,000 break-in period, so I was not watching my speed as carefully as I should had been. I was just crusing along and happend to look down at the dash and saw the speed. :thumbup:
I did

145+ on the way to Vegas. This just after my rod-bearings had been replaced. So much for the break-in period. At that speed, you kinda have to realize that if you see a cop, you're better off not stopping.
About 140 on the Italiad Autostrade. Would have gone faster if it weren't for the darn break in period. Still - fun fun !!!
Up to 130 onct :bigpimp: It's easy for me to exceed 100 passing someone, but usually a little below 80 keeps me out of trouble here in Northern LaLa Land . AND, AND - I saw another M3 in El Cerrito this past week!! A silver coupe.
On public streets... not sufficiently fast to put other families at unecessary risks

cgajjar330i said:
when driving home late at night it's pretty easy to do a couple of miles over the speed limit. i i was just curious to see how fast everyone has gone in their car.
On public streets... not sufficiently fast to put other families at unecessary risks.

On the track, 80 or 90 at NHIS with a 318i and about the same at LimeRock, but track speed is about lap times (how fast you go on the turns) not over all bonneville salt flats all out drag-limited type speed.
115 mph on stretch of the north 5 freeway passing San Onofre. :eeps:
145 in a delimited E36 325i, fairly soon after I got my license and was really dumb.

145-150 in my M3 at the track.
The speedo read 157, so I must've been doing at least 80.
I see you're in Hayward now...you'll be seeing lots of M3s around here. :)
glaws said:
Up to 130 onct :bigpimp: It's easy for me to exceed 100 passing someone, but usually a little below 80 keeps me out of trouble here in Northern LaLa Land . AND, AND - I saw another M3 in El Cerrito this past week!! A silver coupe.
Curiously, not all that many. About what I was used to seing in the D/FW area: Lotsa 3's some 5's and a 7er or two. Not many Z3's or 4's.
jrp said:
I see you're in Hayward now...you'll be seeing lots of M3s around here. :)
Quite true. Whether you stop or not, the result won't make much difference. :eek:
For me, 140 to Vegas. Felt like 120.
drallafi said:
145+ on the way to Vegas. This just after my rod-bearings had been replaced. So much for the break-in period. At that speed, you kinda have to realize that if you see a cop, you're better off not stopping.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 103 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top