BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well for a few months after the no-speed-limit revolution, who knows? But I'd eventually settle on ...

(assuming good driving conditions)

Interstate: 110?

Main roads: 80

Open residential roads: 60

Tight residential roads: 30?

I wish Florida would build a turnpike with a high limit. From Miami to Orlando I'd pay up to $75 in tolls each way for the priviledge.

·
Addicted
1,250 Posts
On my annual trek to Baton Rouge (7 hours) I have often toyed with this question while dinking along at 80-85 mph in my 330ci. I feel like I could do at least 125 or so and be perfectly comfortable on rural interstates. In fact, one Christmas eve about two years ago my then 2 year old started with a terrible episode of croup and could hardly breath in the back seat. It was terrible timing too because I was literally exactly in the middle of a lifeless stretch of i-49, in the middle of the night. I pulled over, gave him meds, etc, when I saw that wasnt working, I pushed up to about 130 for the next 60 miles or so and rolled into the next major city to the hospital. I was thankful to have my car that night, there is no chance I wouldve felt comfortable at those speeds in say a Kia.

·
I'm a Mac
17,699 Posts
100-110 on the interstate.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
As fast as possible as long as it is safe. In the autobahn this meant cruising speed of 110-120 mph with a couple of burst to 150 mph.

·
Registered
2015 335 M-Sport Mineral Gray
6,346 Posts
Will_325i said:
I wish Florida would build a turnpike with a high limit. From Miami to Orlando I'd pay up to $75 in tolls each way for the priviledge.
Florida already has an autobahn, better known as Alligator Alley. :D:rofl:

I used to have to commute between Sarasota and Ft. Lauderdale for about 7 months. At 85 mph on Alligator Alley (I-75) I was still being passed by all kinds of cars including small compacts. :eek:

·
Banned
0 Posts
I've driven most of the major Interstates in the US and I gotta say, they suck. You South Eastern folks have it the best, mostly due to weather. But good banking and other high speed considerations dont exist on US roads. I would say 80-90 mph at the most, to keep cruise control usefull.

Most people dont drive the responsive and purpose built vehicles that we do. And from what I understand, the Autobahn has a very limited amount of high speed sections.

·
Family Man User
5,540 Posts
AFAP, given traffic. 158 or wherever the speedometer tops out on my car on long straight stretches of highway. At 3 AM one of these days, I'll get there, speed limits or not, God willing. ;)

·
Not Wearing Pants
13,832 Posts
110 or so on the highway. Surface streets 60-70 seems reasonable. Residential 40 or so.

·
10,856 Posts
120-130 on the highway--Any faster than that, and it's no longer a comfortable cruise. I'd probably find the speed limiter on the New Jersey Turnpike, though.

Residential would still be around 30.

·
Do the interns get Glocks
9,324 Posts
About the speed I drive now. 80-85 on the interstate

Speed limit on surface roads.

Most people seem to drive too slow on the interstate and too fast in town.

·
Officially Welcomed To The 'Fest!
355 Posts
80-90 on interstates

50 on most city streets

30 in residential

·
Grumpy and Cynical
7,639 Posts
110- 120 MPH on Freeways
30-45 MPH in major city streets
20-30 in residental streets

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Ed328Ci said:
110- 120 MPH on Freeways
30-45 MPH in major city streets
20-30 in residental streets
Yea, probably about that.

On the highway, I would clearly drive faster if the situation was safe.

Cruising at more than 120 is not that comfortable in an E46. In an M5, you could set the cruise control at 150 and be very comfortable.

·
•••••••
16,117 Posts
misterlance said:
:confused:

I like to do dunuts if front of people's houses that think 40 mph is reasonable for residential.
The residential street I live on has a speed limit of 35. Is 5 over that unreasonable? :dunno:

·
Not Wearing Pants
13,832 Posts
misterlance said:
:confused:

I like to do dunuts if front of people's houses that think 40 mph is reasonable for residential.
:jack: 40 mph is not that fast. As someone pointed out, many peoplelive on streets with 35 mph posted limits. Or for instance my parents live in an area with acre to 2 acre lots so the homes are spread apart.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts