BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search for 328is, 5 speed, sport package and there seems to be very few.

Are they hard to come by?

I'm still considering the one I found that needs some work.
Maybe I just haven't looked long enough.

·
Life finds a way
849 Posts
they are hard to come by, the one that I have my neighbor actually found for me. After a month of calling a dealer or owner everyday and test driving I don't know how many BMWs my neighbor happened to see one sitting in a parking lot and he really liked it and was checking it out when the owner came out and told him that he would sell it to him and my neighbor said he wasn't interested in getting a new BMW just yet but his neighbor (me) wanted one and so he called me up and I went and test drove it and after making several offers, we finally agreed on a price. The guy didn't even have it for sell in autotrader or anything, he had just decided to sell it and had told no one about it yet and that is evidently how I was able to get it. Most of the guys that know what my car is have told me that it is a really hard car to find. At least that is what most of the people around here are telling me.

·
what does this button do?
869 Posts
They are hard to find with moderate to low mileage with a history of non-abusing owners and proper regular service. Most 5 speeds are all beat up and many are improperly serviced. I would suggest spending a little more money up front to find a clean one then to settle for one in need of repair (unless your looking for a project).

The price range on nice 5 speed can vary greatly from 4 or 5K up to 7 or 8K and higher with low mileage. If your into modifications, finding one w/ the mods already installed will save you a ton of money down the road, but can also be less fun.

Search the forum for common problems and make sure you check for them before buying. Failed RTABs can lead to a ripped sub-frame which can be pricey to fix. Clean paint is hard to find and is worth a little extra. An interior without significant wear on the front seats is also rare.

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
Not hard at all. The Bay Area is LOADED with E36's, they are very common around here. Keep looking, it won't be long at all till you find EXACTLY what you're looking for.

Between local independent used car lots, C/L, autotrader, etc, you'll find it soon enough. Don't settle for one you aren't completely sold on. Don't know if I've asked you or not, but what region of the bay are you from?

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
Haha. I love California (aside from the ridiculous laws we come up with....). Heading down to UC San Diego in the fall for school, can't wait for that. The absolute best weather in the the world is in San Diego, 2nd best is San Francisco! I think I'm pretty lucky - lol.

How much longer you have to get the M.D.?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the posts.

The one I found: ’97 328is with sport package, 5 speed, 94k miles.

The good:
Complete service records from day one, good drivers seat (not rips) all other interior excellent, no wheel rash, good tires, good paint, no dents, few scratches, overall very good condition.

The bad:
I had a PPI done and they found the clutch is at the end of it’s life, the front toe bushings are in need of replacement. They noticed the 2 front fenders, left door, and hood had been repainted from an accident that also needed the front radiator support replaced.

He was asking $8000, is now at $7250.

I live in the East Bay and I see many 328i, some 328is auto, and a few 328is 5 speed.

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
Oh ok cool, I'm in Fremont. Yeah, the 5-spd is the part that kills the deal, since so many people who buy these get the auto's since they just use them as commuter cars. But keep looking, you'll see new ones turn up frequently.

If ou can drive stick well and baby the clutch, you'll have no problem making the clutch last as long as it feels pretty strong while in gear. The bushings on these car perpetually need replacement. The accident is what would really scare me. Are the panels still the original ones or were the entire panels replaced? Each original body panel would have a sticker that has 2 roundels and the VIN on it, if its been replaced it only has one roundel and the letters DOT-R on it. If they've only been repainted, and not replaced, I wouldn't think it was that bad, but I don't know about the whole radiator support business. I'd keep waiting if I were you.

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Haha. I love California (aside from the ridiculous laws we come up with....). Heading down to UC San Diego in the fall for school, can't wait for that. The absolute best weather in the the world is in San Diego, 2nd best is San Francisco! I think I'm pretty lucky - lol.

How much longer you have to get the M.D.?
lol 1 year + med school haha, gotta keep up the inspiration and internal motivation! btw, I'm 22.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The two front fenders are original. The left door looks like they blended new paint with original. I don't know about the hood, but I think it is original. How could I tell?

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
As above:
"Each original body panel would have a sticker that has 2 roundels and the VIN on it, if its been replaced it only has one roundel and the letters DOT-R on it."

If the sheet metal is the same piece it was wearing when it came from the factory, it will have the VIN of the car between 2 Roundels. If it is a new piece of sheetmetal it will have one Roundel and the letters DOT-R. Be sure to check that the VIN matches, they most likely will have taken the sheet metal from another car instead of new if it was replaced at all. Each panel will have one of those stickers, not sure off the top of my head where it is on the hood.

Of course, there's always that 94 325is......lol
JP....now I really need to find a buyer though.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Where on the hood is that sticker?

I'm looking for a completely stock car. How come there's have no pics of the your driver seat?

I actually would prefer one with side airbags. Maybe I should just wait.

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
Where on the hood is that sticker?

I'm looking for a completely stock car. How come there's have no pics of the your driver seat?

I actually would prefer one with side airbags. Maybe I should just wait.
Absolutely no clue where the sticker is. I'll grab a light and run out and check.

BTW, I was just kidding on my car. I know you want a 328, so go for that. I did just take an entire 50 megs of interior photos of mine for selling it on C/L, but all the photo's on the link I sent you are exterior only, just never got around to taking interior one's before.

I'll be back in a few with info on where that sticker is. Hope I can find it in the dark....lol

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
Alrighty, here ya go.

On the hood, mine is near the hinge on the passenger side. I took some pictures, but they're almost useless. since they're from my cell. You can kinda see what the factory piece sticker looks like in the picture.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
</a>

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey that's great!!!

You must be young to be able to take a pic with your cell, and post it here in less than 5 minutes. I'm impressed!!

I'm going on vacation in the AM and don't think I'll be able to get online for a few days.
Thanks for your help.

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
Hey that's great!!!

You must be young to be able to take a pic with your cell, and post it here in less than 5 minutes. I'm impressed!!

I'm going on vacation in the AM and don't think I'll be able to get online for a few days.
Thanks for your help.
Haha, thanks. Yeah, I'm 17. And one of the pickiest 17 y/o's I know.... I'm posting some interior pictures (which are a testament to my pickyness, the car is much better looking since I got it) just since no one has actually seen them (and I like to brag....lol) except for the crappy one's on the link right now, since those were back when I first got it and it was a DISASTER! You can see what I mean about picky in the pictures....and yes, that's how my car ALWAYS looks. Lol.

Have fun on vacation!

(big thanks to dad for breaking my trim strip...lol...am going to get that fixed as soon as I get a chance to run down to the local stealer)

(I hate amps on the seat backs...so tacky)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts