BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a e46 M3 and now considering the 335 with Sport package

Does the 335 sedan corner flatly or does it have lotsa body roll

The 335 sedan is going to be just for fun on streets corners, exit ramps etc , no track work

I want to get a fun sedan and the m3 sedan may be overkill for street use

·
Boosted Bavarian
1,272 Posts
I have an E92, but I test drove an E90. I don’t think you’d be disappointed. The ride is fairly firm and stable. It ain’t no M3, but no slouch either.

I guess it boils down to what you really want and expect from your car. Take one for a test drive and let us know what you think.

·
BigTime Defender
337 Posts
Casa, it is a big car and will have roll depending on your speed and the sharpness of the curve. They had to do some compromising to make it comfortable on the straight-aways. That being said, its not like you are sliding all over the place either.

You can always add some different sway bars/struts later if you think it's not flat enough around the curves.

·
Registered
81 Posts
It's perfectly stable around the corners, although I couldn't help feeling like the road "feel" was a little lacking. More of what you'll notice is the impressive dive when you use those impressive brakes.

It feels slightly rubbery to me. I'd hope they'd come out with a firmer suspension, like the performance package they used to have on the 330. Or active suspension, that would be nice.

·
Registered
99 Posts

The 335 sedan is going to be just for fun on streets corners, exit ramps etc , no track work

I had two years of experience with E46 sedan (I used to own a 2005 330i ZSP). I am currently driving a 2007 335i sedan ZSP. I think the E46 is better in corner handling than E90. That is because E90 has a longer wheelbase than E46.

But the ride in E90 is better than E46. Smoother and nice.

Seems that the new 128i and 135i (1 series) are the same size as E46, so I would imagine that 1-series will give you same corner handling as E46.

-chaz

·
In Heaven
2,971 Posts
I dunno coming from an M3, but the difference was significant for me - I.e. coming from E60 to this 08??? Very flat in the curves and quick response on the steering wheel...:thumbup:

·
VIII
8,087 Posts

If you like that race car feel the E46 M3 had, I'm telling you right now, you won't get that from the 335i SP or not. My 06 M3 ZCP had this tight race car feel and the harder you pushed that car through a corner the more planted it would get, and if you broke traction it was predictable and balanced. My 07 E92 335 SP, is a nice car, comfortable and modern but if I try and push it through a corner it just feels heavy and lazy, almost like it's telling me to back off, whereas the M3 would tempt me to go faster. For some reason the E92 335i makes me drive slower and not really push the car at all.

I do appreciate the extra power for passing or on the highway but for the most part, I find it more exciting to try and get 25mpg average then I do the drive the car fast. I knew this when I got the car though so I'm not complaining. I think with a really well thought out suspension upgrade, LSD and perhaps Dinan or Procede, the 335i would get that excitement factor back but I'm not sure if I want to start dealing with the cost and hassle of modding. I primarily got the 335i because I wanted to try it out while I'm deciding if I want an E92 M3 or 997. There is something very comfortable, economical and relaxing about the 335i, compared to the ///M cars and for now I'm enjoying that aspect of it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm now driving a 07 335i with sp use to have a Dinan e36 m3. The difference is dramatic as the 335 is not as good a handler as was the m3. I think a lot of it has to do with the tires and not the sispension. It is pretty flat in the corners but grip goes quickly and trac control kicks in

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
The e90 has 1% of the body roll that my e46 did. It was a 330, not an e46. It was also a 2001 and I think they improved body roll a year or two later. ymmv. While it's not the stickiest car I have ever owned, it's very good about the body roll.

·
BigTime Defender
337 Posts
The better comparison is for folks who have modded the 335's suspension (Dinan or equivelent) speak up to their turning. I think this car is a bit too heavy to be a monster in cornering but a suspension mod and different tires might change things.

·
Registered
52 Posts
We just did some very aggressive testing in my 335 Sedan, w/ a JB2 chip from Terry. We were amazed at how well the car handled with a stock suspension. We put it up against the new M3 manual and I pulled it by 2 cars and then some in the straights, however, the M3 felt much more planted in the high speed turns. The M3 w/ SMG & EDC was quite amazing to say the least. The 335 was neck & neck with that set up as far as speed goes. The M3's EDC & SMG was spot on! However, with the addition of a ROBISPEC installed KW Clubsport suspension, go here: http://robispec.com/main.html some good DOT tires on some lite wieght wheels & a JB2, the 335 would be a huge challenge to the new M3 to say the least for a fraction of the cost.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts