BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I owned a 2004 BMW X5 which was the same size as the new X3. That car was all steel no aluminum and weighed 500 pounds more than the current X3. I never had any issues driving the X5 in moderately deep snow (6"-12") on Long Island roads. The X5 did not have run flat tires either. The X5 had 255/55/18 all season tires and the X3 has 245/50/19 all season tires. Based on this, would the X3 perform the same as my X5?

·
Registered
678 Posts
Our X3 goes through the snow like a tank.
All season tires
I had fun on arrival to my hotel last January in 8" of snow at my hotel in Vail. Incline down to parking lot. They hadn't plowed. Slid off driveway into drift. This after driving through the winter storm from Pueblo through Denver with care and without issue.

Did better than my previous RWD car would have.

·
Registered
679 Posts
My X3 3.5i with 19" Michelin Primacy Run Flats goes through snow with ease. We had a 9" fall last month and had to drive through my street to allow for my driveway to be plowed. No problems at all.

·
Powder Days
2,001 Posts
Two Winter Seasons in Steamboat Springs CO with my 2016 X3 with no problem in snow.

Cheers

·
Registered
189 Posts
4WD won't help you stop better in snow than a 2WD. Even snow tires are not invincible. Just drive with your head and you'll be fine. I'm in my 5th year with F25. I haven't stuck once in snow in NYC+Long Island area.

Well, The Goodyear LS2 tires gave me a few scary moments. Those Goodyears suck in snow. Hope you don't get them.

Also, the X3 is RWD bias. If you try to hard, or intentionally push it, the backend will come loose a little bit, but the X system will help you. It is all manageable (and a little fun to drive)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.