BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

How long after getting a new car do you desire something different?

• As soon as I drive off the lot I see something else I want

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Within 1 year

Votes: 28 33.3%
  • Within 2 years

Votes: 15 17.9%
  • Within 3 years

Votes: 10 11.9%
  • Within 4 years

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I'm not tempted for something different for at least 4 years

Votes: 21 25.0%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am typically a "buy and hold" kinda guy when it comes to most things....stocks, cars, homes, etc. I don't like to trade in and out of things, "flip" properties or day trade but for some reason lately I've found myself really getting tempted by a new car after only a year and a half of owning my 330i.

I absolutely love my car and think it is the perfect balance of practicality (4 doors) and fun (Performance Package). In fact, I think its the perfect car for me.....but then that little devil on my shoulder says, "you know, a convertible would really be nice as the weather in Arizona starts to cool off" or "wouldn't a M car really make you look forward to the commute?"

So I guess my question is, how long after getting a new car that you really love do you find yourself getting tempted by something new and seriously considering a change? I think I'll post a poll.

How do I restrain myself for at least a couple of years?

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
jetstream23 said:
How do I restrain myself for at least a couple of years?
Hmmmm if I had a e46 330i ZHP, all I'd have to do is to look at the picture of the e90 3-series, and that'd easily convince myself that I'd better keep my 330i ZHP as long as I can. Gosh the e90 is a step back in terms of design IMO. (I know i know it's "different" but it doesnt float my boat.)

Although I'm not at the age where I've personally chosen and owned many cars, it really depends on what's out there on the market. We got the X3 even though I insisted on a 2004 325i simply cuz my dad isn't bright enough to look at anything beyond the price tag and "bang for the buck". However this is our first BMW, so I'm still very pleased with the X3, and it pleasantly surprises me with its driving dynamics even after 2 years. There are few new BMWs that I'd be willing to buy at this point.

·
TMS
9,288 Posts
My current situation would seem to indicate about 4 years and 3-4 months. Except I am keeping my current car 'cuz I love it so :)

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
This clearly depends on what original car you're talking about. Me driving off in a 650i coupe, I don't intend to swap it for a while. In fact I love it so much, I intend to hang onto it until the next generation comes out. But am I tempted by other cars? Of course I am, it's human nature to be tempted! Will I buy another car? Perhaps as an additional car but not necessarily a substitute. So I didn't vote here.

·
Stimulus Package
4,245 Posts
Well, the grass is always greener... but I know what you mean. I fantasize about this and that, but honestly, I only do it when I'm not driving. When I'm in my car, I'm perfectly happy. :bigpimp:

Maybe you just need to drive more? :D

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Elvis530i said:
Well, the grass is always greener... but I know what you mean. I fantasize about this and that, but honestly, I only do it when I'm not driving. When I'm in my car, I'm perfectly happy. :bigpimp:

Exactly what I think!!! :thumbup:

-e60lover

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Depends on the car, but I am always planning my next car.

I was able to fend off the new car for a pretty long time with my last car, an E36 M3 sedan.

With my E90, I know that by year 2 (of a 3 yr lease) I am going to be going apesh*t.

But, as I am already researching and looking forward to that next car (and I only leased it in April), I voted "less than 1 yr".

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Elvis530i said:

Agree 100%. :thumbup:

I guess you must a real BIG Elvis fan.

·
Scheiße!!!
1,135 Posts
jetstream23 said:
I absolutely love my car and think it is the perfect balance of practicality (4 doors) and fun (Performance Package). In fact, I think its the perfect car for me.....
LOL....you sound exactly like icemanjs4, you related ?:rofl: :D

I guess all you ZHP guys are alike :p

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Elvis530i said:

I think you're right. I do need to drive it more....12,000 miles in 18 months.

Also, I agree with the point about the e90 but that's not what I'm tempted by. I've been seriously considering a search for a CPO convertible M3. I think if I can hold off for a couple more years on getting rid of my 330i I could find a decent crop of 2005 and 2006 M3's that are coming off leases as their original owners step into the next M3. :dunno:

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
afshawnt said:
LOL....you sound exactly like icemanjs4, you related ?:rofl: :D

I guess all you ZHP guys are alike :p
Great minds think alike I guess. Afterall, we both did hold out for Natural Brown interiors. :thumbup:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Priorities Change

I have a history of holding on to new cars for about 6 years but I would start to think about my next new car after about 3 - 4 years. That has changed with this car. It is exactly 4 years old and I have no intention of trading it for something else. I think part of the reason for wanting to trade up before is because I would always compromise and was never really satisfied with what I had. Those cars were '76 Toyota Carolla, '82 Scirrocco, '88 Integra, '94 318is. With the E39 I was able to get exactly the car I wanted with all of the options I wanted and it still feels like a new car to me. I've put more mods into this car than any other car I've owned because I like it so much. Plus, I don't really know what new car I would want to buy right now given my financial situation. I'm looking at driving this car for 10 years.

·
Registered
676 Posts
As we were in the showroom buying our new company cars (he, a Range Rover Sport, me a Bimmer)...my business partner and I were already talking about our next vehicle in 2008: we both like the idea of loaded out 7 series Bimmers. So I guess I've got it as bad as you can get it...I haven't yet taken delivery on my new car before planning the next one.

·
Registered
401 Posts
it depends.

while im still paying for my cars id think of something better. ive flip flopped from cars to suvs to anything in between.

when im driving my paid off 93 accord, i dont really think of anything except ill one day need a new car.

right now its more apparent because i got into an accident and the chicks insurance claimed my car a total loss (i dont know how they decided this). nothing but headlight and turn signal is dented in, but the day will come when someone really does crush it.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Elvis530i said:

:stupid:

I have car A.D.D.....isn't that the first step?

·
Registered
28 Posts
7 Years due to the fact that my wife states that she will divorce me if I buy another car within that timeframe. I longest I've held onto a car is 3 years. . . .I just like newer cars more often than most people!

I'll have to find a way around this somehow. . . .

·
Not Wearing Pants
13,832 Posts
I didn't want to get rid of my e46 but within a month of getting my e90 in europe I wanted to buy something else.

·
Life is a highway...
112 Posts
I've had my 330Ci for just over two years now, and I still do not see any other car on the road that I would rather have. (At least not that is within my price range.)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts