BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How long to get Production number after order.

I ordered a '06 E90 for ED today. My First time. I asked for a June 27th pick Up. The dealer said it should not be a problem, but that it would take 3 Buisness days to get a production number. I would like to get date confermation ASAP so I can start booking Air and Hotels since it is looking like a busy summer in Europe.

My questions are: How long does it usually take to get a Production Number? Do I have a good chance of getting this pick-up date? is getting your desired date pretty easy, or do they push you around.

It looks I will be using FF miles to get over there. The two for one deal Luftansia is pretty steep and availability is sketchy. But I was currious, they said they needed the VIN number to issue the tickets, did they mean the production number? are they the same thing? if not how long does it take to get your VIN?

·
Registered
53 Posts
will-san said:
I ordered a '06 E90 for ED today. My First time. I asked for a June 27th pick Up. The dealer said it should not be a problem, but that it would take 3 Buisness days to get a production number. I would like to get date confermation ASAP so I can start booking Air and Hotels since it is looking like a busy summer in Europe.

My questions are: How long does it usually take to get a Production Number? Do I have a good chance of getting this pick-up date? is getting your desired date pretty easy, or do they push you around.

It looks I will be using FF miles to get over there. The two for one deal Luftansia is pretty steep and availability is sketchy. But I was currious, they said they needed the VIN number to issue the tickets, did they mean the production number? are they the same thing? if not how long does it take to get your VIN?
Your dealer should get the prod# from BMW within a week or so. As for getting your desired pick-up date, I think it depends on the model and demand for it.
You don't need a VIN to make the reservation with Lufthansa. You can hold the reservation up to about a month before departure. To actually purchase the tickets you need the VIN, the prod# does not work. I am waiting to get my VIN at the moment. I read somewhere here that people got it about 8 weeks before delivery. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I ordered in Dec 03. Got a production Number Feb 14 2004. Car was built March 11 2004. Car was picked up April 16 2004.

Car was redelivered in US Jun 23 2004.

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
FWIW, Lufthansa never asked for my VIN...never asked for anything as a matter of fact. I could have been any Joe Schmoe asking for a discounted plane ticket from them. My situation is probably the exception, however.

I think you can count on the pick-up date. As long as it is in the middle of the week (T-Th) and not surrounding any major European holidays, odds are very good it should be no problem to get you the date you want.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Order a 6er and you can get your production number the same day!!!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Ågent99 said:
FWIW, Lufthansa never asked for my VIN...never asked for anything as a matter of fact. I could have been any Joe Schmoe asking for a discounted plane ticket from them. My situation is probably the exception, however.

I think you can count on the pick-up date. As long as it is in the middle of the week (T-Th) and not surrounding any major European holidays, odds are very good it should be no problem to get you the date you want.
I think Lufthansa actually verifies the order with BMW NA. They called me on the phone last month saying they were gonna cancel my reservation. It turns out that my dealer mispelled my name on the order and this did not match my name on Lufthansa's reservation. Thank God they called to verify.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts