BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I was so low on gas that the computer estimated 4 miles remaining. The gas station was about 4 miles away so I went for it. Upon backing out of the garage, the estimate changed to 3 miles. I still went for it and was glad to see that when I reached the highway, the esimate had gone back up to 4.
I made it to the gas station with still 1 mile remaining.

Now that I'm all gased up again, I'm pondering on what happened.
I recall the manual recommends never to run your tank down to empty. I think the reasoning is that impurities are accumulated at the bottom of the tank and could do harm if sucked into the engine.
Now, given that in real life one will face an emergency (like mine) once or twice during the lifetime of the car, wouldn't it be better if we always run the tank down everytime?
If you let the impurities accumulate for years, when you do find yourself in an emergency, you'd be sucking in a lot of impurities.
If you ran the tank down regularly, maybe the little impurities would be so minimal that they'd be inconsequential.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
The car's fuel pump lives in the gas tank and is lubricated and cooled by the gasoline. If you ran out of gas, you most likely would burn up the fuel pump.

I wouldn't flirt with disaster. ;)

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I have driven down to 0 on the OBC many times and buy about 16.xx gal. (since I have roadside, I trust it ;) )

·
Registered
365 Posts
When you just start your car and back out of the driveway, you're probably burning fuel inefficiently, thus your "range" would be lower. One you get cruising a more effiecient 35 to 45 mph, milage improves and so does range. I see the same effect climbing up into, and back down out of the mountains every weekend.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts