BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder how many of the original E46's are still around without having been traded for a 325/330. It seems that we are all dropping off quickly as leases expire and owners want the "next big thing."

Reply to this thread. State the year, model, options, and what you think of the car after all these years.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'll start it off. I have a 2000 323i, SP, CD, and Auto Climate. I purchased the car last Christmas from a friend that buy's and sells cars, with 33k km's on it. It was manufactured 3/00 and delivered to its original owner on my mother's birthday, June 12th. In the short time I have owned the car, I am in love and would never trade for another E46, save for maybe the M3. My itention is to keep the car for a minimum for 6 years.

:thumb:

·
2,457 Posts
Good Question!

Current car:

1999 323i SP Ti/Grey leather SR

Off lease in 2 weeks.

Moving to:

2002 300i SP Steel Gr/Blk leather SR/Xenon

Love my 323i, but willing to pay a bit more for the extra HP. Also, totally regretted NOT getting Xenons from day one. It turns out that the new classes in my BMWCCA chapter for autoX put me in the same class as 300i's/Ci's. I was fairly competative, but have a huge hp/torque handicap. Can't wait to try the new car!:thumb:

I found myself always shifting the 323 in the 4-6K range during regular driving, and found that the power was fairly good. Testing the 330i though, I was shifting at lesser rpms because I found the power greater in the lower rpm range.

The other thing that pushed me to the 330i was the memory seats. There's a height difference of 14 inches between my wife and I.

·
Hated by hater haters
1,652 Posts
1999 2323i, Orient Blue, Sport Package, Leather, Wood, Sunroof

The car has been great. Only has 28,000 miles. Lease ends Tuesday (June 4). I've already had a 2002 530iA (Sapphire Black/Black, SP, PP, CWP, Xenon, Sunshade) for about 4 weeks, so I'm not keeping the 323i, but...

The 323i got CPO inspected Friday, and I'm buying it out of lease tomorrow as my wife's daily driver (we sold her Honda Civic several weeks ago).

So even though I'm now driving a 5er, the 323i still stays in the family.

·
zeddy
7,668 Posts
Y2k 323i august 2k build at the fabulous SA plant.

PP, wood, leather, step, cd etc.

I bought this car off the lot, brand new, in November of 2k because it was a STEAL; only 500 dollars over invoice.

Even stock out of the box, I've tracked the car several times now and have turned quick, consistent laps.

At the autocross course at Lime Rock, I drove it back to back against a Dodge Viper (during the two-day skippy school). I could hit the same first hairpin turn at 60-65 mph as I did in the Dodge.

I've got just under 15k on it and quality and reliability has been fantastic with nary a sqeak nor a rattle. No wonder the SA plant did so well with JD Powers.

The car could use a bit more power at the track, but for the street, it's just fine; an ideal blend among horsepower, gas mileage and smoothness.

Since I own my car outright, I've got no time limit on how long I can enjoy it, AND, thus far, I've got no interest in selling it.

Ed

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Feb. '02 Built 323Ci, topaz blue metallic, 5 speed manual, sports package, black leather interior, moonroof, navigation system, xenon.

April '02 built 323Ci, bright red, 5 speed steptronic auto, black leatherette interior, moonroof, navigation system.

Plan to keep both cars until they stop running.

·
Registered
165 Posts
2000 Silver 328i 5 speed manual with Sport Package

Recently purchased after greatly missing my Dinan prepped 1994 325i. Sold it after 116,000 miles and 11 Drivers Schools.

My 328i had 18,800 miles on it when purchased a month ago. I'm in the process of preparing it for participation in BMW CCA Drivers Schools. Mods include (I=Installed, OTW=On The Way/being shipped): M3 strut brace (I), UUC Short Shift Kit (I), RD Sways (I), TC Kline Trackline suspension (KONIs and H&R)(OTW), GC Rear Shock Mounts (OTW), Conforti Intake (OTW), Conforti Software (OTW), Michelin Pilot Sports, and Clear front Turn Signals and Side Markers (OTW). AA exhaust to be ordered if AA ever has one. Looking for a LSD. I really like this car.

My wife drives a 2002 325iA (not SP). It's a completely different car.

·
Formerly CCs328Ci
1,460 Posts
I have my 328 Ci pictured below, still get ooohhs and aaahhs everyday I drive it..still looks the same as day one. June 30 will be my 2 year Bday. My lease is up in June 03 :thumb:

·
Registered
738 Posts
2000 323i, Sport-Premium Package, Leather, Metallic Paint and Heated Seats

Add ons- Michelin Pilot Alpin snows on the stock V-spokes, Type 44 alloys for the summer, K&N filter (I don't know why...)

31,200 miles as of a few minutes ago. She is absolutely fantastic. I have had all the maintence done, as well as an oil change at my expense between the two BMW recommended intervals. Several minor warranty repairs, but nothing significant. Mostly all the E46 bugs- warped rotors, control arms, window regulators, tstat (before the recall)

I still love it every day. Who knows, I might drive it into the ground, or perhaps I might be driving a new one within the next couple of months. You never know!!

G

·
Mystikal said:
It seems that we are all dropping off quickly as leases expire and owners want the "next big thing."
Heh?

I sincerely hope that anyone who truly wants the "next big thing" decides that it's not a BMW and leaves.

Argghhh!!! I hate that attitude.

As for replacing a leased BMW with a current new BMW, of course that's cool, if that's how you *do* cars, but if you're a "gotta have the latest and greatest"-type, I hope you decide that the "latest and greatest" is not a BMW. Go get an Infiniti or something.

And I still have a '99 323iC, but it's an E36 so I guess it doesn't count.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
:thumb:

I have a Black/Gray 328Ci. It has PP, HK, and CK. Now has 225/50 ZR16 Potenza S-03s, Dinan Software, Carbon Fiber Intake, and several hundred track miles and 6 or so auto-x on it. It was "born" on 10/1/99. It has a little over 32K miles. This is my 2nd E46 I had another 328Ci that I got on Aug. 4, 1999 and was "damanged" by a suburban without its lights on on Dec. 4, 1999. It was an early July build car with similar specs to the above car, but no PP and no HK, it did have gray leather, moonroof, and wood. That car had about 8600 miles on when it was bent up :eek:

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Re: How many 323/328's do we have here?

TD said:
As for replacing a leased BMW with a current new BMW, of course that's cool, if that's how you *do* cars, but if you're a "gotta have the latest and greatest"-type, I hope you decide that the "latest and greatest" is not a BMW. Go get an Infiniti or something.
It's true though. Many 2001+ E46 owners traded their previous E46's for them. Not a lease expiry, which would make sense as you mentioned, but rather they took the financial hit and bought a new version of the same car. :tsk:

BTW, I caught that little G35 joke at the end...;)

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

TD said:
And I still have a '99 323iC, but it's an E36 so I guess it doesn't count.
I probably should have specified E46 in the title line, but I think you're the only regular here that has a non-E46 323/328.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Mystikal said:

Reply to this thread. State the year, model, options, and what you think of the car after all these years.
i have a 2000 328i SP/PP... i've said it before, i'll say it again: the 2000 328i was the best overall E46 so far (excluding M3), because of the better steering/road feel... you 325/330/M3 guys don't know what you're missing. :rolleyes:

·
Formerly CCs328Ci
1,460 Posts

___lk___ said:

i have a 2000 328i SP/PP... i've said it before, i'll say it again: the 2000 328i was the best overall E46 so far (excluding M3), because of the better steering/road feel... you 325/330/M3 guys don't know what you're missing. :rolleyes:
Hey, I must agree, my steering is wonderful. I have had two 325 loaners, and the steering in those were night and day when I got back into mine....and I dont mean dusk to dark, its daylight to dark! :yikes:

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Re: Re: Re: How many 323/328's do we have here?

CCs328Ci said:

Hey, I must agree, my steering is wonderful. I have had two 325 loaners, and the steering in those were night and day when I got back into mine....and I dont mean dusk to dark, its daylight to dark! :yikes:
It really is daylight to dark... :( I wish I had the steering feel I had on my 00 323Ci on my 01 325i... :cry:

To this day, I still do NOT understand why BMW had to mess with it... :tsk: :mad:

·
Spelling Impaired
5,658 Posts
Still have mine!

I still own my original E46...

I ordered my '99 323i in Nov 98 and recieved it 3 Jan 99. On that day I took delivery of a beautiful Ti Silver 323i SP, Moon Roof, CD.

I have put 73K miles on my baby, and to this day it still brings a smile to my face every day I drive it. I intend on keeping it for a very long time. :thumb:

·
Davis? cows?...what cows?
91 Posts
proud to have the original E46 :thumb:

2000 jet black 323i sp/pp/hk sand leather 06/00 build
29150 mi as of 15 minutes ago.....bought it on 3-23-01 (323i) ;)
with 15k mi on it.

loving the car.....and will keep on loving it for years to come :)
(i love it so much i'm posting about it instead of prepping for a presentation at 3:20 AM..... :eek: )

·
Davis? cows?...what cows?
91 Posts
Since I'm a procrastinator....i'll take my time to represent my friend here :p

2000 steel blue on black leather sp/pp/xenons with only 9000 mi the last time i checked it...craziness...

from what i can see....he's loving it as much as i love mine :D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts