BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
The Jesal
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my pickup date is May 28th. I am looking at all these prices to fly into Munich. Mostly over $900 with taxes.

Now i checked to see what prices would be to fly into frankfurt. I found tickets from $600 roundtrip with tax!!

I searched here and saw that you can take a 3 hour train ride from Frankfurt to Munich. I checked pricing and its about $78 round trip.

Has anyone done that and if so, is it worth the couple hundred in savings? Any issues with this plan?

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I always pick up at the appropriate factory and drop off in Frankurt. It works out for me because I used to live in Langen so I know the area well and the drop off point is very close to the airport. Just dropped off an M3 in Sept.

·
Premium Member
7,705 Posts
I have departed many times out of FRA but never into FRA (i.e. Fly into MUC and fly out of FRA).

I suppose that if you have the time and want to try to save some money, try the DB speed train ICE

http://picasaweb.google.com/yokobee/FinalDayFrankfurtDusseldorfLAX#5126948926822191634

There is NO need to have round trip fare as you will be justing wasting more fuel and time traveling back to Munich. Plan your trip to either drop-off at FRA or if you must another German City where you can hop onto the ICE and be at FRA with German Precision.

The LH 2 for 1 has a speacial deal w/ DB, always check what the price is w/ them as well.

DB's web site: http://www.bahn.de/international/view/en/planning/planning.shtml

·
Premium Member
7,705 Posts
...e because I used to live in Langen ...
Heh!! Small world! I actually been to that lil' town SW of Frankfurt and spend a night there:)

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
at the Victoria or farther south on Darmstadter Str?

·
Bayerische Motoren Werke
1,002 Posts
Our first ED we flew directly into MUC. Second time we flew into FRA for a couple reasons. CO does not fly direct to MUC. We took the train (s) to Rothenburg ob der Tauber and then onto MUC for our pick-up. Nothing like drinking German beer on the high speed trains. Worked out great and was a great start to our second ED.

·
The Jesal
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I have departed many times out of FRA but never into FRA (i.e. Fly into MUC and fly out of FRA).

I suppose that if you have the time and want to try to save some money, try the DB speed train ICE

http://picasaweb.google.com/yokobee/FinalDayFrankfurtDusseldorfLAX#5126948926822191634

There is NO need to have round trip fare as you will be justing wasting more fuel and time traveling back to Munich. Plan your trip to either drop-off at FRA or if you must another German City where you can hop onto the ICE and be at FRA with German Precision.

The LH 2 for 1 has a speacial deal w/ DB, always check what the price is w/ them as well.

DB's web site: http://www.bahn.de/international/view/en/planning/planning.shtml
Great pictures! And yes, she was hot. :rofl:

My thinking was to
Fly to frankfurt
take ICE to Munich
pickup car and drop it off in Munich (stay there for a day or two)
Then take the ICE back to Frankfurt to fly back to Chicago.

But you have given me a better idea, maybe I will drive the car towards frankfurt to site-see and drop it off along the way. THEN hop on the ICE and take that to Frankfurt. I could drive all the way to frankfurt but seems like it be cheaper to just take the ICE instead of paying for fuel. M3 isnt exactly fuel friendly. :D

Should add that i dont plan to stay long. Leave Chicago maybe the 26th and come home on the 31st.

·
"Clunker" *****
4,684 Posts
So my pickup date is May 28th. I am looking at all these prices to fly into Munich. Mostly over $900 with taxes.

Now i checked to see what prices would be to fly into frankfurt. I found tickets from $600 with tax!!

I searched here and saw that you can take a 3 hour train ride from Frankfurt to Munich. I checked pricing and its about $78 round trip.

Has anyone done that and if so, is it worth the couple hundred in savings? Any issues with this plan?
Great idea. Riding German trains and trams is an important part of the European travel experience. You can see all the schedules on the DB website. At the Frankfurt airport be sure to go to the long-distance station, not he regional one on the lower level.

·
Premium Member
7,705 Posts
..., maybe I will drive the car towards frankfurt to site-see and drop it off along the way. THEN hop on the ICE and take that to Frankfurt. I could drive all the way to frankfurt but seems like it be cheaper to just take the ICE instead of paying for fuel. M3 isnt exactly fuel friendly. :D ....
Yes but I would say that driving an ///M to its full potential on Autobahn is priceless and to the extend that 99% of the M owners in US cannot claim thay've done!;)

Pay the piper ya tightwad!!:p ///M Life is about the experience and NOT a pennies saved...

·
The Jesal
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
:rofl: Guess it is a good way to break her in.

Good point. I think i will plan my trip where i drive the car more.

Just trying to keep thing low cost just so my buddy can come with. Otherwise I will be traveling alone which im ok doing as well.

·
I do'nt make mistakes.
10,478 Posts
Great pictures! And yes, she was hot. :rofl:

My thinking was to
Fly to frankfurt
take ICE to Munich
pickup car and drop it off in Munich (stay there for a day or two)
Then take the ICE back to Frankfurt to fly back to Chicago.

But you have given me a better idea, maybe I will drive the car towards frankfurt to site-see and drop it off along the way. THEN hop on the ICE and take that to Frankfurt. I could drive all the way to frankfurt but seems like it be cheaper to just take the ICE instead of paying for fuel. M3 isnt exactly fuel friendly. :D

Should add that i dont plan to stay long. Leave Chicago maybe the 26th and come home on the 31st.
There's no drop off spot between Frankfurt and Munich. Its only 250 miles between the two cities. Enjoy the autobahn. Of course, you really need to drive past Frankfurt a couple hours for some real fun at Nurburgring.

As for the original question, I flew into Frankfurt because tickets at the time to Munich were MUCH more expensive. The train ride is nice, but three hours on the train while being jet lagged really isn't fun.

·
Can has cheezburger
2,081 Posts
We are flying into Stuttgart because the tickets were significantly cheaper. We still came out way ahead after I got us first class train tickets.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
One tank of gas from Munich to Frankfurt, if one tank is too much maybe a 128 is more like something you can afford to drive. Really we put 1700 miles on the M3 in Sept. only a fool would pass up the chance to drive it on the roads in Germany. Even with the RPM restrictions and steady speed restrictions taking back roads is great and the Nav system will get you where you want to go.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Stay here just south of the airport in Frankfurt reasonable price and great location. http://moenchbruch-muehle.de/ In the summer they have a relaxed beer garden that I used to stop at on the way home, when I was out on my motorcycle.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Now i checked to see what prices would be to fly into frankfurt. I found tickets from $600 roundtrip with tax!!
So, back to the original question. At least a few of us hate FRA and would pay large sums to avoid using it. :mad: It is confusing, poorly run, and the LH people there seem to not care about customer service. I'm possibly in the minority with the next statement, but I think FRA is substantially worse than even LHR, CDG, or JFK. (And doesn't even take into account the full body searches when connecting to flights to the Middle East, watched over by teenagers and 20-somethings carrying automatic weapons.) MUC is incredibly more civilized than FRA, and now with the non-stop service from many U.S. points into MUC, I try to avoid FRA as much as possible.

·
The Jesal
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There's no drop off spot between Frankfurt and Munich. Its only 250 miles between the two cities. Enjoy the autobahn. Of course, you really need to drive past Frankfurt a couple hours for some real fun at Nurburgring.

As for the original question, I flew into Frankfurt because tickets at the time to Munich were MUCH more expensive. The train ride is nice, but three hours on the train while being jet lagged really isn't fun.
Ah for some reason i thought the distance was further. I totally can drive 250miles with ease. :thumbup:

Anyways, the flight i found for cheap to Frankfurt was from Air India and i have flown with them before and its definitely a "get what you pay for"experience. But more i think about it, i will pass with them. They are notorious for having late flights and last thing i want is to be late for my pickup date or the train. Its not worth the savings.

I still like the idea of flying out of Frankfurt just so i can drive to it and drop the car off. Now i need to do more research about FRA after b-y's post.

·
Premium Member
7,705 Posts
....Anyways, the flight i found for cheap to Frankfurt was from Air India and i have flown .....
:eek::eek:

I have quite of few friends who are India, and they've all agreed on one thing when I pose the question to them on my last ED (same deal, cheapest flight using travel search engine).

·
I do'nt make mistakes.
10,478 Posts
Ah for some reason i thought the distance was further. I totally can drive 250miles with ease. :thumbup:

Anyways, the flight i found for cheap to Frankfurt was from Air India and i have flown with them before and its definitely a "get what you pay for"experience. But more i think about it, i will pass with them. They are notorious for having late flights and last thing i want is to be late for my pickup date or the train. Its not worth the savings.

I still like the idea of flying out of Frankfurt just so i can drive to it and drop the car off. Now i need to do more research about FRA after b-y's post.
For mapping out routes, there are many options. I just went to maps.google.com and then dragged it over to see Europe.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Flying to the USA out of Frankfurt is a pain! Beware......You think you have gone through security and are in the Departure Lounge, happily buying some bottled drinks for the flight when, yes, there's another security line to go through, so in the garbage go your purchases! Munich is far more easy to navigate, quicker and more comfortable to use. Also, Frankfurt's on-airport hotel makes Munich Airport's Kempinsky appear a very cheap bargain! For competitive prices and great service, consider Air Berlin ex New York www.airberlin.com

1 - 20 of 22 Posts