BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
For someone who is experienced, how many hours are needed to change the water pump, thermostat and hoses on an E46? automatic?

Thanks
R. Olsen :dunno:
I've done the above repairs on my car including the coolant tank. Took me about 4 hours. My car is a manual though so the fan is a bit easier to remove. Took me a bit to remove the bottom radiator hose and coolant tank.

·
Supporting Member
1,519 Posts
2 to 16, depending on how many left thumbs you have. If you have some wrenching experience, it shouldn't take you more than 2 -3 hours.

·
Registered
966 Posts
It took me 3 - 4 hours, I have an automatic and had to futz with getting the fan back on. It wasn't hard, just took a little time and patience.
But I also did the overflow tank and belts. And it was my first time messing with a BMW. Def doable!!!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
If you have an auto, most of the time goes to the removing and replacing of the fan clutch. Well not so much the removing but the putting back. In any case you do not want to drop that sucker. Other than that it is a pretty straight forward job. Spray a little W2 on the radiator hose connectors for easier removal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.