BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I own a 2007 335i and my maintenance program just ended. It's now time for me to get an oil change and the mechanic i took it to told me that i should get my oil changed every 5,000 miles. The bmw dealership said 12-15,000 miles. Is the mechanic just trying to get more bussiness out of me?

What is the amount of miles i should drive between?

And then my only other worry is he is going to reset the computer to start telling me its time for another oil change after only 5000.

Thanks for your help!

·
Freedom isn't free!!
2018 Glacier Silver 340i M Sport
20,054 Posts
Asked and answered a million times. The Search feature on Bimmerfest still works. On a 335 you'd be wise to change the oil every 7,500 miles. What kind of oil to use? Use BMW's oil. It's not anymore expensive than what you'd buy at Wally World.

//close thread.

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
If you are going to an Indy

Just keep track of it and set it every other time. If your paying for it does it matter that its reset

I always used to do mine a 5k on the E46 but people have done the Blackstone oil test here that say the oil is good for 10k I think I will be doing my at 7500 and at least once a year.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e6...-old-school-maintenance-schedule-our-m5s.html

read the above and download

There are many threads on this do a search on oil or oil change

·
Combat Commuter
1,973 Posts
E9X - designed, tested, manufactured, and warranted by BMW - states CBS will say when an oil change is needed: (generally, 15K to 18K miles)

Jiffy Lube - marketing sprouted by pimply-face junior whose balls haven't dropped yet - states OCI every 5K miles.

A lot of bimmer folks split the difference (7500 mls) based upon the last decade/previous gen where OCI correlated with an Inspection 1 or 2 at 15K mile intervals.

As mentioned, numerous Blackstone Lab reports have demonstrated that BMW spec LL-01/LL-04 oils will go at least 10K miles.

Ultimately, its left up to you to decide if oil technology and metallurgy has advanced since the last century.

·
Instructor of the Stig™
7,255 Posts
We take all of the guess work out with our Oil Service Kits... Every 6-7500k is a good idea...

Our kit includes the following;
* 7 Quarts of BMW Synthetic Engine Oil
* Engine Oil Filter
* Oil Drain Plug Gasket (Included with filter kit)
* ECS Magnetic Drain Plug

Click HERE for more information.

Please let us know if you have any questions! Feel free to shoot me a PM or email.

Best,
Joe

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
BMW OEM Oil changes are calculated by the on board computer, just like Mercedes. Its normally 15,000 miles for Synthetic oil. But most car gurus on this forum, change it every 7500 or so. I bought a preowned car and it was ready for a oil change, it had 14,500 on the oil, when I changed it at a Indy shop, it looked fine, clear and brown, partly transparent. Then I changed in again after 11K miles, and it looked identical to the oil on the last change. It was not dirty. So, unless your very hard on the car, high RPM's and non stop commuting in major traffic in urban areas, I see no need to change Synthetic oil every 7500 miles, if BMW suggest 15K miles. Heat can be the main culprit for bad oil. Everyone is guessing its better.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I can tell you, as an E46 owner, we are seeing sludge build up in our CCV systems. It's BMW's answer to the PCV valve. 15k oil changes are crazy. I change the oil at 7.5K. It's easy to do and it's cheap insurance. You see lots of DIY's for CCV systems in the E46 and E39 community for replacement of the hoses due to sludge build up. If you're planning on keeping the car long-term, 7.5k oil changes are the way to go.

·
///Multiple
4,525 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
BMW OEM Oil changes are calculated by the on board computer, just like Mercedes. Its normally 15,000 miles for Synthetic oil. But most car gurus on this forum, change it every 7500 or so. I bought a preowned car and it was ready for a oil change, it had 14,500 on the oil, when I changed it at a Indy shop, it looked fine, clear and brown, partly transparent. Then I changed in again after 11K miles, and it looked identical to the oil on the last change. It was not dirty. So, unless your very hard on the car, high RPM's and non stop commuting in major traffic in urban areas, I see no need to change Synthetic oil every 7500 miles, if BMW suggest 15K miles. Heat can be the main culprit for bad oil. Everyone is guessing its better.
Agreed, heat does infact kill oil. Hence, turbo charged engines need to have their oil changed sooner than their normally aspirated counterparts. I am just wondering why BMW themselves does not allow for this when scheduling their hokey "free maintenance" program. My 2011 335i has about 10k on an oil change that I paid for, and
it needs to be changed again......

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.