Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m at 120,000 and I can’t believe my VCG is still the original one. It might be the longest lasting BMW VCG out there. I didn’t expect it as my previous 335i went through TWO VCG’s before 92,000. My gf’s 09 328i’s VCG went at 76k. Someone wanted to trade in an X5 at the dealership I work at, with the same N55 motor as my car and I did the pre-trade inspection on it and it was already leaking at 90,000 clicks.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,468 Posts
Approaching 90K miles leak free and carefully inspected.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Best to leave alone until it leaks. I have a Mercedes c300 with 220k miles and original gaskets. Nothings has been done to the vehicle except oil services and axles. Very lucky

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Best to leave alone until it leaks. I have a Mercedes c300 with 220k miles and original gaskets. Nothings has been done to the vehicle except oil services and axles. Very lucky

I have a W203 project car with 37,000 original miles and the valve cover gasket leaked last year. Then again the previous owner barely used the car. Despite the mileage it was in poor shape and needed a lot of work.
I’m actually interested in leaving the BMW life and getting a 2011 C350 as a daily. I’m getting older now and Im starting to prefer comfort over sportiness. And my BMW is a Coupé and I do the school run in it. When I was in the market for a sedan years ago I test drove different makes and the Mercedes was by far the smoothest one but at the same time the worst handling one. But handling doesn’t matter as I drive down straight highways where it’s refinement would shine more.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Personally, I think Mercedes looks better. The cla rides like crap though. BMW is more of a sporty feeling and Mercedes is like a 50/50. Its all personal preference.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I’m at 120,000 and I can’t believe my VCG is still the original one. It might be the longest lasting BMW VCG out there. I didn’t expect it as my previous 335i went through TWO VCG’s before 92,000. My gf’s 09 328i’s VCG went at 76k. Someone wanted to trade in an X5 at the dealership I work at, with the same N55 motor as my car and I did the pre-trade inspection on it and it was already leaking at 90,000 clicks.

Just changed mine @172K--it was petrified. Like hard plastic.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Personally, I think Mercedes looks better. The cla rides like crap though. BMW is more of a sporty feeling and Mercedes is like a 50/50. Its all personal preference.

I was never a fan of new MB cars esp the CLA. I hate that car in particular. I am a huge fan of the “diamond” designs their cars had in the 2010s.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Only 212k miles, original VCG, no issues. The VC has never been off the engine. 2012 (E70) X5 35d (diesel).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts