BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night my wife took my car, "shopping" because it was out and warm and her car was in the garage. When she came back she told me that some, "older" guy had stopped her and said, "I see this car around town, it is absolutely beautiful". She said, "it's my husbands and he takes really good care of it". He said, "he lets you drive it"?

Fairly often, some one sees me getting out of or into my E39 and compliments me on it and I am always appreciiative of their gesture.

Do other people gets compliments regularly?

·
Older than old school
4,461 Posts
In the Bay Area, these cars are a dime a dozen and probably provoke more yawns than compliments.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
Back here on the east coast it happens a lot if your older car is in good shape and has a few obvious mods done to it.
Lots of head turners and thumbs up when you drive by.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Funny you should post about his subject. I visited an indy shop today and they were impressed with my car and complimented accordingly.

It's really the wife's DD and over the last few weeks she has had several women in her office comment. She finds it all sort of odd since she doesn't care what she or anyone else drives but they sure notice her in that Bimmer!

·
Entwicklung 39
4,136 Posts
Back here on the east coast it happens a lot if your older car is in good shape and has a few obvious mods done to it.
Lots of head turners and thumbs up when you drive by.
+1

I always get compliments from my Indies too. One went out and bought a 98 540 after working on my car the last time.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I get regular compliments- at the gas station, at the car wash, the grocery store etc... Even two of the guys at the BMW dealership admired my baby!
Two months ago, my neighbors had company and they came over to ask if it was for sale... I said no, that it was about to be stored for winter. They said if I ever change my mind to call them first lol!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Cool car

People seem to notice our touring mainly cause they are fairly rare in my town ,there only 3 others around I've seen.

An old guy in a Honda CRV had a look @ our car once and said "did I do that" after hitting both RH side doors I guess thats not the same:cry::cry::cry:

·
Registered
56 Posts
yip, fairly often, they like it in white as its rare and looks good with tints, plus its in good shape

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
People seem to notice our touring mainly cause they are fairly rare in my town ,there only 3 others around I've seen.
Tourings are rare in my town as well. I get a few compliments when I'm in the Touring, and when they find out it's a 5 speed manual they are amazed.

Comments about the 530 are usually about the color.

In the summer I usually get compliments or people turning their heads when I'm in the Fiat Spider.

·
Member Supremo
1,599 Posts
1 compliment on the 550i @ bimmerfest
2 compliments on the 03' 540i at random places
None for the other cars :(

·
Be american, get a bimmer
640 Posts
I had few people giving me thumbs up while driving. Even some girls said that they "love" my car and surprised because its a stick, but my 2 memorable moments where:

1. In front of post office, I noticed e39 parked, but dint pay attention. I was getting my package out the car and a guy, probably in his early 20s, was leaving the post office and said to me "Nice bmw, is this 528i?". I laughed and told him it was a 540i 6spd, so we exchange few words here and there. Cool guy.

2. I was driving on a 3 lane road and I noticed a e39 behind me like 2 cars, but he managed to go around the 2 cars and stayed on my butt. So when the light turn green, I punched it so i can get the guy to come on the 2nd lane, so he did. He looked at me and i looked at him, we both smiled, he waved after punched it lol. It was a 540i with taken out resonator and aftermarket muffler... I know that because i have a super spring muffler with oem resonator and sounds a lot quieter then the guys'. He also was in his early 20's.

·
540i Guy
215 Posts
I had few people giving me thumbs up while driving. Even some girls said that they "love" my car and surprised because its a stick, but my 2 memorable moments where:

1. In front of post office, I noticed e39 parked, but dint pay attention. I was getting my package out the car and a guy, probably in his early 20s, was leaving the post office and said to me "Nice bmw, is this 528i?". I laughed and told him it was a 540i 6spd, so we exchange few words here and there. Cool guy.

2. I was driving on a 3 lane road and I noticed a e39 behind me like 2 cars, but he managed to go around the 2 cars and stayed on my butt. So when the light turn green, I punched it so i can get the guy to come on the 2nd lane, so he did. He looked at me and i looked at him, we both smiled, he waved after punched it lol. It was a 540i with taken out resonator and aftermarket muffler... I know that because i have a super spring muffler with oem resonator and sounds a lot quieter then the guys'. He also was in his early 20's.
Lol I had the same instances you had, I always try and compliment another 540i on the road especially 6-speed because where I stay there are alot of e39 528i and its pretty common..if I see another 540 and its a lady driving I know she probably dont really care about it lol, but if its a guy then yeah

·
Registered
107 Posts
Funny thing is ?.

My last BMW before the E39 was a "rat look" E28 520I with 360,000kms and full conversion to 525E running gear and fully modded motor :thumbup::thumbup:.
It got lots of comments because it looked like crap but went fast,I miss that car in some ways because it was very cheap to own.
Sold it for $1000NZD after 8yrs ownership and now its a cool to have one :confused::confused:

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
highest complement from BMW salesman, "where you the guy with the E39 Saturday" After I told him no interest in any new BMW

1 - 20 of 32 Posts