BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Woke up to a a nasty new surprise 6month old 530i. In addition to all the tiny little pit marks which have driven me crazy for the last few months I now have a crack in the windshield from the edge of the windshield along the driver side. No choice but to get it replaced. I went to the dealer and got slapped with the follwing quote

Part Desc Price
BM51-31-7-070-294 Windshield $471.83
BM83-19-0-147-269 Rep. Kit $69.24
BM64-11-6-928-326 Sensor $107.09
BM51-31-7-166-841 Cover, Windsd $ 13.95

Total Parts: $662.11
Total Labor: $984.00 :yikes:
Shop Supplies $27.60
Tax $115.23
======
GRand Total $1788.94

I almost sh*t my pants with that quote. He told me that I shouldnt use a glass shop because they arent trained to do BMW glass installs and I would eventually need to get it done again. Im assuming that they subcontract this out to a local glass shop ANYWAYS so why the hell am I paying the dealer to markup a price on the labor?

Either way. I got a quote from Safelite.com (recommended on this board) and they are quoting me $399 + tax INSTALLED. Am I missing something? what the hell is the difference in price so large. The shop that will do this install is in the same town as my dealer. So Im assuming they would be getting the work from my dealer anyways. Should I be worried about getting Safelite to install the glass? This is a lease so I want to make sure it wont cause any problems when it comes time to turn it in.

Should I be worried?

·
lurking
18,069 Posts
why does replacing a windshield require 9 to 10 hours of tech time . :confused: :eek: should ask them if they're incompetent. :tsk:

·
Love the 'Fest
731 Posts
yes, that's not right. The $ for parts looks ok (and be sure you are getting OEM BMW glass, it sounds like you are)...the the labor is all out of whack.

·
TMS
9,288 Posts
I'm on my 3rd windshield on my 3 series. Safelight installed the last one, and they were the most competent of the installers my insurance company referred me to. And speaking of insurance companies, my new windshields were all covered by my comprehensive coverage where I have a $100 deductible. Have you called your insurance company?

·
lurking
18,069 Posts
it looks as if they're are charging you adhesive drying time at full tech rate. :confused: :loco:

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Wow, that sucks. I'll be living with the horrible pitting my windshield has :cry:

Let us know what you end up doing.
If you are in Southern California PM and I'll put you in contact with the guy who changed my windshield with RAIN SENSOR for only $250.00 including labor, parts and he drove to my house in Manhattan Beach. The dealer quoted me $1,400.00 for parts and labor.

This is the SAME guy SB BMW uses to do their work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
why does replacing a windshield require 9 to 10 hours of tech time . :confused: :eek: should ask them if they're incompetent. :tsk:
Now that you mention it..
The quote DOES say 8 hours for labor.
They must be charging me for drying time as someone said.

He actually advised me NOT to go through my insurance. Cause they would neickel and dime hime for the parts and labor. WTF do I care.

My insurance says that they use Safelite so Im going to get it done for $1400 cheaper by NOT using the stealership. Now I just hope this will not affect me when I turn in the lease. Does any one have experieince with aftermarket glass with the lease turn it?

·
Banned
0 Posts
Now that you mention it..
The quote DOES say 8 hours for labor.
They must be charging me for drying time as someone said.

He actually advised me NOT to go through my insurance. Cause they would neickel and dime hime for the parts and labor. WTF do I care.

My insurance says that they use Safelite so Im going to get it done for $1400 cheaper by NOT using the stealership. Now I just hope this will not affect me when I turn in the lease. Does any one have experieince with aftermarket glass with the lease turn it?
Safelite probably even uses BMW glass.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I don't know of any dealers who do their own windshield installs--they subcontract the work and pass the...inflated price including their mark up...to you.

Ask your insurance company for a list of approved windshield installers in your area (and I assume your comprehensive would cover it, less the deductible).

I had mine replaced on a previous BMW and after getting a crazy high price from the dealer (nothing like your quote--that labor is unreal--it takes around an hour), I used Smart Auto Glass. The came to the house, and did a great job.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I paid at the dealer a total of $975. They re-programmed the rain sensor and everything. Insurance will cover this but you would have to pay a deductible if there is one on your policy

·
Registered
219 Posts
You guys should put Klasse on your shields to help cut down on the pitting.

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
So there is truth in the saying that dealers make more from servicing than from selling new cars?

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
You guys should put Klasse on your shields to help cut down on the pitting.
If by pitting you mean the result of small (or not so small) rocks leaving marks on the windshield, I can't believe Klasse or any other polymer sealant would have any effect on reducing damage to the windshield. Perhaps it temporarily fills in the pits (like swirls on paint).

·
\m/ (>.<) \m/
22,144 Posts
If by pitting you mean the result of small (or not so small) rocks leaving marks on the windshield, I can't believe Klasse or any other polymer sealant would have any effect on reducing damage to the windshield. Perhaps it temporarily fills in the pits (like swirls on paint).
I'm skeptical too!

Show me the test data :)

·
TMS
9,288 Posts
Me three. I could see some benefit in AIO _maybe_ cleaning crud out of the pits and making the windshield seem more transparent. I haven't tried it though (and I am a Klasse user).

·
Registered
219 Posts
Both AIO and SG can be used. I use it on my glass and have never had much of a pitting problem like you guys are talking about. Also great for the headlights, but I have 3m on them now.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts