BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently found an e30 for $1350 almost pulled the trigger under the perception that it was mechanically sound (what the dealer said) then we started it... Discovered that someone stole the catalytic converter so this changes everything! I don't want to pay more than $1000

Info
1986 BMW 325 (automatic)
Mileage: 213,xxx
Good: exterior, interior, tires, rim, engine, all original all in good condition
Bad: NO catalytic converter

I'd love to have an E30 and if I can get it for the low and make it pretty that would be great!

ALL OPINIONS WELCOME!

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Noob alert

Woah wait. What exactly is that? Is cat short for catalytic converter? How will that help performance? And what will that cost?

Sorry for the inexperience I'm new to this

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why not purchase the vehicle and get a cat installed somewhere inline with the exhaust? You may have to relocate your O2 sensor, but hey... it could work!
Noob alert
Woah wait. What exactly is that? Is cat short for catalytic converter? How will that help performance? And what will that cost?

Sorry for the inexperience I'm new to this

·
I'm a DlCK! So what?
3,644 Posts
"Cat" is short for "catalytic converter". You can pick up a Magnaflow universal cat for ~$70. A decent exhaust shop may charge you $50 to weld it in place. You'll have to talk to the exhaust shop about relocating your O2 sensor, though. It may not even be necessary, depending on what your exhaust currently looks like.

It won't hurt performance at all. If anything, a Magnaflow high-flow cat would only help performance. Granted, it won't really be noticeable, but the exhaust will be able to breathe easier.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"Cat" is short for "catalytic converter". You can pick up a Magnaflow universal cat for ~$70. A decent exhaust shop may charge you $50 to weld it in place. You'll have to talk to the exhaust shop about relocating your O2 sensor, though. It may not even be necessary, depending on what your exhaust currently looks like.

It won't hurt performance at all. If anything, a Magnaflow high-flow cat would only help performance. Granted, it won't really be noticeable, but the exhaust will be able to breathe easier.
Wow... Much cheaper than my over exaggerate dad was making out to be... Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
664 Posts
First if it's an 86' it's an E so it's a single exhaust and an OEM replacement Bosal cat is $294.00 on Ebay and if you what to go, totally back to stock the same place on Ebay carries the rear section for $250 you'll also need about $50 in misc gaskets and hangers.E30's only use one cat even the 325i that has dual exhaust it just has a dual inlet and exit .You didn't say anything about the condition of the car or post a pic or two so we might give a more informed opinion of the $1350 asking price which I would say is cheap unless it's a rust buck or trashed .

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First if it's an 86' it's an E so it's a single exhaust and an OEM replacement Bosal cat is $294.00 on Ebay and if you what to go, totally back to stock the same place on Ebay carries the rear section for $250 you'll also need about $50 in misc gaskets and hangers.E30's only use one cat even the 325i that has dual exhaust it just has a dual inlet and exit .You didn't say anything about the condition of the car or post a pic or two so we might give a more informed opinion of the $1350 asking price which I would say is cheap unless it's a rust buck or trashed .
Only thing that's wrong with it really is the cat. Everything else is in great condition for an 86 ... No rips, tears, sagging on the interior.... body is great.... Tires have much life left.. As for pics the dealer doesn't have a website....

·
Registered
664 Posts
Yes cat aftermarket cats are cheaper but you need to fit them into (weld) your exhaust system .A complete OEM system is around $600 bucks and bolts together to the factory mounts .The question is does the NC do emissions on cars that old .Because not having a cat won't hurt a 2.7L at all, as long as the system is sealed.Is it a 5sp or an automatic ? I guessing this is maybe your first car?You need to remember that this is an old car an if the dealer is selling it for less than 1500 bucks it's not a pristine example they go for more like 5 to 7k for an 86' 325e in mint condition at a dealer.So ask the dealer if you can take it to someone to get it checked out before you buy it,I don't know where in NC you are but find a local independent BMW shop,make lots of calls make sure they know E30's .Look up some stuff like engine size and injection type on the internet and ask them ? ,to see if they know the car .Then take there and pay them usually an hour (about $60). Then you know exactly what your getting ,never trust a used car salesman, I should know I owned a used car lot until 2010 .

·
Registered
264 Posts
Toybuilder.... you brought up an interesting point! that not having a cat in a 2.7 wont hurt a thing. I have a 87 325ic and the cat has been removed. there is no emissions test in Kentucky so I thought I wouldnt worry about it. Will it hurt the 2.5 not to have a cat?

·
Registered
664 Posts
The 2.5L is also OK, all though they both seem to like a bit more backpressure so when I've removed cats on them I usually put in a pair of glass packs (cherry bombs)or just one for a 2.7L to replace the cats, not anywhere near the restriction of a cat but enough to keep the engine happy.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Thanks toybuilder! I for one appreciate your imput in this forum

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes cat aftermarket cats are cheaper but you need to fit them into (weld) your exhaust system .A complete OEM system is around $600 bucks and bolts together to the factory mounts .The question is does the NC do emissions on cars that old .Because not having a cat won't hurt a 2.7L at all, as long as the system is sealed.Is it a 5sp or an automatic ? I guessing this is maybe your first car?You need to remember that this is an old car an if the dealer is selling it for less than 1500 bucks it's not a pristine example they go for more like 5 to 7k for an 86' 325e in mint condition at a dealer.So ask the dealer if you can take it to someone to get it checked out before you buy it,I don't know where in NC you are but find a local independent BMW shop,make lots of calls make sure they know E30's .Look up some stuff like engine size and injection type on the internet and ask them ? ,to see if they know the car .Then take there and pay them usually an hour (about $60). Then you know exactly what your getting ,never trust a used car salesman, I should know I owned a used car lot until 2010 .
Thanks for all of that! It was to be my first project car so ima check it all out

·
Registered
264 Posts
LOL Jaygen. I think they really are ALL project cars. Neither one of the two I have gotten were not supposed to be anything but a daily driver. But there is an addiction and some kind of wierd obsession that seems to take over most of us. Bigger better faster etc....
Now I'm trying to find an E30 Hotwheels or Matchbook car....... but all I can find is a 323 M3 NOT what I drive!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
LOL Jaygen. I think they really are ALL project cars. Neither one of the two I have gotten were not supposed to be anything but a daily driver. But there is an addiction and some kind of wierd obsession that seems to take over most of us. Bigger better faster etc....
Now I'm trying to find an E30 Hotwheels or Matchbook car....... but all I can find is a 323 M3 NOT what I drive!
Exactly! You should hear me explain that because I am in the process of buying a e36 as my daily .... But I am planning mods for that too lol

And all I ever see on eBay for toy cars is the M3 (m30 wise)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My E30 is my daily. Not all of us are fortunate enough to own multiple vehicles.

However, I am fortunate that it has a rowdy little S52 under the hood.
Oh I'm not wealthy by any means ... I just love bmw enough to consider buying two... But I think I may buy this one ... Forget about the e36 ... Make this my daily

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.