BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, just wondering. how much gas do i have left in the car when the gas light comes on? my gas light came on and i drove my car for about 6-8 miles. when it first came on, it would flicker. but the more miles i drove the more it stayed lit without flickering.

·
Blue Miracle Whip
316 Posts
i was wondering the same thing

·
Registered
175 Posts
Ive heard you can get up to 30 miles when the gas light begins to come on. The light usually indicates the tank has maybe a gallon or a little more left in the tank. So depending on how you drive I guess you could get up to 25-30 miles.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I heard its better to let get down less than 1/4 tank before filling back up to 3/4 tank...

The less weight in the car the better :D

·
Registered
119 Posts
I know on mine, once the light is on steady, 30 is the number. When I first go the car, I wanted to make sure. So one day once I hit the 30 miles mark I decided to pull into a gas station. While pulling in, the car sputtered and I rolled to my station. So I would say 30 miles is the limit. If you go past that, your are going to get stuck real soon.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i was thinking 30 miles as well... which means thats about a gallon or so (maybe a bit more) of gas left in the tank.

interesting to see that the people with the 4 banger 318i are getting about the same mileage than the people with the 6 cyl.

thanks

·
livin large
7,557 Posts
I heard its better to let get down less than 1/4 tank before filling back up to 3/4 tank...

The less weight in the car the better :D
if youre draggin, about 1/4 tank is good enough. but if youre drivin daily, i wouldnt let it touch the 1/4 mark (better for the fuel pump)

·
Registered
237 Posts
if youre draggin, about 1/4 tank is good enough. but if youre drivin daily, i wouldnt let it touch the 1/4 mark (better for the fuel pump)
Why would it be bad for the fuel pump? Pressure of the gas flowing thru i.e. more weight in gas means less work for the fuel pump??

You know how much a gallon of water weighs and an extra 5-8 gallons in the car (given a 15 Gallon tank) is quite a bit of weight...

·
livin large
7,557 Posts
Why would it be bad for the fuel pump? Pressure of the gas flowing thru i.e. more weight in gas means less work for the fuel pump??
what i was taught: if you run under 1/4 tank of gas, the gas itself will warm up with higher temperatures outside. and the fuel cools the fuel pump, so if you live in a hot climate, and run the tank from 1/4 to empty, the fuel pump will burn out quicker than if you put some gas in the car (at least thats the theory).

·
E30 Maniac
2,461 Posts
what i was taught: if you run under 1/4 tank of gas, the gas itself will warm up with higher temperatures outside. and the fuel cools the fuel pump, so if you live in a hot climate, and run the tank from 1/4 to empty, the fuel pump will burn out quicker than if you put some gas in the car (at least thats the theory).
that's correct. the fuel pump is cooled via the fuel itself so running it low is not a good idea..

·
livin large
7,557 Posts
that's correct. the fuel pump is cooled via the fuel itself so running it low is not a good idea..
score one for me:clap: bowchickawowwow

·
Registered
705 Posts
30 miles is about right.....I just drove that this morning to work with the light on as soon as I started up this morning.

·
"Clunker" *****
4,684 Posts
hey, just wondering. how much gas do i have left in the car when the gas light comes on? my gas light came on and i drove my car for about 6-8 miles. when it first came on, it would flicker. but the more miles i drove the more it stayed lit without flickering.
Don't know whether the 3 and the 5 work the same way, but on mine the light goes on when the range estimate is about 50 miles (the OBC probably figures it in km), so it will go on at a cold start but will go off when the engine warms up, especially if I get on the interstate, where I get much better mpg. If it goes on and stays on I figure I should start looking for a gas station, or at least not pass any if I'm heading for the country.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I'm not sure if the E30 and the E28 share the same On Board Computer (OBC) but if you press the "1000" button and the "1" button simultaneously it will give you the amount of gas (in liters) left in the tank. Knowing this, you can covert the figure to gallons. To find out your range (other than tapping the button) use your MPG figure and do the math. This is all contingent that the OBC is reading the senders accurately.

·
YOU ARE NEXT!
1,036 Posts
On my e39 touring when the light comes on, I use the feature on my on board computer that tell me how many miles till I am empty, it is usually 25-30 miles. I really would not push the car till its bone dry, the fuel pump can suck up all the dirt and can fail on you. Ending result would be replacing the unit.

On my e30, my gas indicator does not light up, i just range it from how many miles I drive depending on traffic or hard driving. I usually get up to 315 to 325 miles before empty. I have not seen my light go on yet, I think its busted so I don't take the chance.

On my last e30, I actually ran out of gas due to the same faulty gas indicator, that sucked... I promised myself to never run out of gas again. I started to her the fuel pump to hum and I just stopped and ran out of gas. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not sure but i've heard that driving with the tank so low for long periods of time can cause you fuel pump to go out.

·
Registered
237 Posts
score one for me:clap: bowchickawowwow
Interesting... I suppose also the cooler the fuel the better it burns also... (learned that from BMW F1 team nearly getting disqualified in a race last year ;))

Very interesting on the fuel pump though... Will keep that one in mind from now on...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts