BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
The Driver
4,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious because I'm debating whether to cut my radar detector through the grille to maximize reception when I do the install.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Which piece are you talking about - center mesh or fog light mesh? i don't have an answer for either but figured you may want to clarify!

·
The Driver
4,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Suggest you google 'radar detector placement' - there is a forum site that pops up that might be worthwhile.
I am a well known user of that forum and I know what is optimal. But I want to know the value of the damage I cause when I cut it through the grille.

That site has no info on the price of the grille.

·
The Driver
4,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Which piece are you talking about - center mesh or fog light mesh? i don't have an answer for either but figured you may want to clarify!
Center mesh.

·
The Driver
4,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My Bel didn't alert this evening for a photo radar van - hmmmm.
I dont think any radar detector alerts to photo radar vans.

However there is a way to identify which stretches of highway these vans operate if you look for the orange reflective markers along the inside barrier of the highway. The vans use those for calibration.

·
The Driver
4,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Would it be the item called center grille w/o active cruise? That is $32.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Are you saying photo radar is a misnomer and it doesn't use radar? Shouldn't my detector alert when it's in use????

·
Registered
266 Posts
Maybe I need to study this more. You're saying that laser is a different way of measuring speed than radar? If so, then what good is a detector???

·
Registered
446 Posts
Against laser? Very little...

It's very directional and laser only operates briefly whilst the operator is checking someones speed. Generally, even if you had a detector, any warning would be too late as you will have already been 'got'.

The only defense is a jammer, but they are illegal here (and in many US states). Have a look here

·
Registered
446 Posts
Not really due to the directional nature. Imagine a conventional visible laser pointer being shone at a car ahead of you - you would be very lucky if any of that light bounced off the car in front and reached a detector in your vehicle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.