BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

How much of a handicap is really a RWD on NYC roads? With occasional trips up north..

10323 80
A bit of a stupid question, I guess, but since I've only driven the xi, and just had an idea of maybe getting a 335d, which is only avail in RWD, how much of a handicap would it really be? Hopefully opinions of those who drove RWD in NYC area (winters can get snowy) and in New England (skiing trips).

thanks.
1 - 20 of 81 Posts
If you are planning regular ski trips. I would get an xi. Around the city RWD would be ok, north of the city in hilly areas, not so much.
If you get a 335d, you must be running snow shoes in the winter. With XDrive, you can get away with all seasons all year round.
" Of course, the unstoppable winter option that can impart visions of rally-driving heroism is the combination of all-wheel drive and winter tires"
Car & Driver What About All-Wheel Drive?
Been in Boston for over a decade. No problems with RWD.

AWD is better than RWD, sure. But be aware that the difference far less than the difference between summer tires and winter tires.

Phrased another way: I'd rather have a RWD car, with all the advantages it brings, for the 326 non-storm days a year. I'll rely on winter tires and cautious driving for the 30 days of truly bad weather.
:) just dont replace the car till the new year and drive with DTC off :p
Also: a 328xi to a 335d? This shouldn't even be a question. Screw safety, the 335d is an amazing machine and you should buy it. So much torque: 427 ft lbs. Drool.

I would have bought a 335d instead of a 335i, if only it came in MT.

Edit: If you haven't driven a high-torque car before, be careful with the 335d. Use a light touch.
Gotta wonder how we all managed to survive prior to the 1981 K-car that saved Chryslers butt for the first time & introduced FWD to a majority of the US drivers?
Exactly. If I can get a '76 Regal around the snow on craptastic old tires, then nothing built in the modern era scares me.

FWDs are also hideous when climbing hills. No front traction at all. I've seen so many FWD cars on the side of the road, simply unable to climb the hills of New Hampshire during winter. If they went up backwards, they would have made it. :)
Gotta wonder how we all managed to survive prior to the 1981 K-car that saved Chryslers butt for the first time & introduced FWD to a majority of the US drivers?
OT, but GM's X car FWD platform was available before the K car.
Ditto. :thumbup:
(Though for me it was a '74 AMC Hornet on re-treads.)

As for the rest... : popcorn:
Exactly. If I can get a '76 Regal around the snow on craptastic old tires, then nothing built in the modern era scares me.
My opinion is rear drive with four good snows is better than all wheel drive once the all season tires are 40 percent worn
Yep, my Citation X11 was a 1980 model, IIRC.

Tom
Bet they even sold 2 or 3 off them too:)
Chains and studded snow tires?
Handicap? I think AWD handicaps handling at the limits as well as fuel economy. In 6 years of 25k per year I have never had an issue with my snow tires.
Also, 335d FTW. At 46k miles, I have no end of warranty itch. It is a keeper.
AWD with snows is better than either.
My opinion is rear drive with four good snows is better than all wheel drive once the all season tires are 40 percent worn
I lived in Syracuse, NY (back in the day) first with a 1971 Firebird and later with an MGB, through winters when sometimes the snow they plowed was nearly to the top of the telephone poles.

Somehow I survived.
i've had both....I run dedicated snows regardless of drivetrain, so my observations are based on snows. i personally would not run all seasons even with awd-- i feel its too much of a compromise. jack of all trades, master of none.

AWD is great for the few days a year with 12+ inches of snow. in 2010/2011, i was able to plow through the massive snow storms we got hit with. but to be honest, by the next day i would have been just fine with RWD. i'm a snowboarder, and would have to say that in the past three years with my X drive, i can only think of two or three occasions where the X drive came into play. and those were when i was stubborn and didnt wait for the plows to knock the snow down to less than a foot.

i personally dont like the raised suspension on the X drive cars-- it makes the car feel "floaty" i also noticed a pretty noticeable drop in fuel econ. my 07 averaged 21mpg with heavy city driving. i'm averaging 17mpg with the same driving pattern.

i plan on getting a RWD F30 this winter. for the vast majority of the year AWD either doesn't come into play, or is actually a hindrance.
I've run dedicated snow tires since I first bought the car 5 years ago. I live on Long Island. I routinely pass 4WD/AWD SUVs with all-season tires who had spun off the road duing snow storms.
1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.