BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, folks,

I had my car for about 25 days and I already clocked in 2100 miles. I can't get my hands off my car. It is awsome... Now here is a quick question for all: How much punishment can the suspension/run flats/wheels take before any damage appears? The reason I ask is that all over the manuals you read that the run flats tire/wheel combination are very susceptible to damage, but when you drive specially in the NY area highways and you are going at an average speed of 50 to 55mph, you will come across deformations on the road surface that hit the car pretty hard. You try to avoid them but you can't brake in time, or there is a lot traffic to evade it. Sometimes you may come across a highway that was repaved but there is a slight step between the old and new pavement, and when you hit it at that speed you can feel a very hard thump.:mad:

I don't feel any vibrations on the car and steering is still straight as an arrow. I guess everything is still OK.. Has anyone else experienced the above? Does everytime you hit a little hole on the road feel like you are in PAIN?:bawling:

·
Nothing witty here
2,604 Posts
It's survived a lot of the streets of LA so far without problems. My SUV with 22s are faring far worse than these 19 run flats.

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
I think we need a forum for New York potholes. It seems the majority of complaints are from that city.:tsk:

I think the majority of 6 series owners are not having issues.

·
///M for Motor Sports!
2,946 Posts
+1

A lot more than you think it can handle.

Make sure you represent that 6er in the upcoming Bavarian Fest in October I believe.

·
Registered
551 Posts
After 5,500 miles there is no noticable wear on suspension. Tires are a little hard to tell but it seems to be minimal wear. I spent the week end in Vail, Colorado driving from Denver I was glad I did not have larger than 18" wheels. I was really surprised how rough the roads were at high altitudes. There was a heck of a lot of snow last winter so the highways took a beating. I have not seen any hint of wheel damage.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I feel a lot better now... Thanks to All

Folks,

Thanks for your reassuring comments:thumbup: .. It is a great car... I will definetly attend the Bavarian fest. Does anyone have any details on this event i.e. location, schedule dates, etc.?

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
+ 1 in another country. It seems urban streets are the worst. These roads have been there for a long time and governments are not cashed up to want to redo them. Highways are fine.

·
Banned
6,970 Posts
We should not forget that in many places in Europe cobblestone streets are still common. Obviously, these are smaller streets in outlying villages, but nevertheless cobblestones are pretty tough on a car's suspension and undercarriage.

New York potholes, of course, may be a lot worse.

·
Banned
1,421 Posts
Near 28,000 miles and will probably change out original tires around 30,000 (at least before TOD run in October). No issues ever other than my own stupidity driving over a parking lot concrete stop and coming down on second one about two feet away - ouch. Yet no rims/tire issues even then. I was listening to Click and Clack (Car Talk) the other day and a NYC guy claimed to have gone thru 30 - yes thirty - tires and/or rims in a MB. The obvious conclusion they made was speed. You just cannot run over pot holes at high speed (or speed bumps or other bumps or dips) without problems. Sometimes its unavoidable, but for most it is not. If you are in a pot hole time of year (freeze/thaw/freeze) just slow down. Sure there may be less susceptible cars, but as lawman noted there are worse combinations out there as well. Get it, you'll love it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.