BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Coole Russen
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering how much respect do you guys get , when you drive your e39 on the streets. In Russia for example if you drive e39 or any expensive car, you'll have a LOT of respect, almost everyone yielding road to you because most people can't afford that kind of cars, and those kind of cars drive either really cool guys or rich people(btw you can't be just rich in Russia, you have to have some connections with cool guys, otherwise you could be killed or they will steal your stuff). So please tell me your experience, it would be very interesting :)

·
Thebizzy.com
6,429 Posts
LOL no respect here in Atlanta, since about 1 out of every 5 cars is a bimmer. I $hit you not. The others are either Mercedes or Lexus. But when I leave town people look at me like I drive a frickin' Lamborghini. It rocks.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I know in the US is varies a LOT mostly just because of peoples personal preferences.

I do get good amount of respect for my car, but @ the same time i have a lot of people who think i've been given everything in life and am spoiled (not the case).

and then there are the confused people w/ toyota corollas who hate because they tried to race, lost, and can't accept that their 'awsome' car lost....

·
Registered
317 Posts
I usually only get respect from people who know and appreciate what it is, ie other car buffs. Otherwise, I usually get respect from other Germans (VW, Audi, BMW...) but otherwise...not so much.

·
Stimulus Package
4,245 Posts
In my neighborhood, not a whole lot. Plenty of other bimmers on the road. Out of Southern California, some, depending on where you go.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Southern California is the mecca for nice cars. Whether my 540 stands out, I'd like to think so, it's hard to say seeing all those Ferraris, Porsches, Bentleys, Mercedes, and other top of the line BMWs out on the road. I feel good driving it that's all that really matters. To some, however, you're just driving an average car.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
In LA, I'm just another car. I frequent Hollywood a lot, and I may as well be driving a Ford Focus when I'm there because obviously there are much nicer cars (check out the pics of the Rolls Royce and Lambo in the Sunset to Malibu meet we just had). Sometimes in the ghetto areas, my car shines a little bit, but that's not what concerns me at those times.

·
Registered
12,023 Posts
alot of people think that there car is cooler than it is, if your car is worth less than 10k settle down, its not that cool anymore.:(

·
Coole Russen
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
alot of people think that there car is cooler than it is, if your car is worth less than 10k settle down, its not that cool anymore.:(
True. Also don't forget that cars in US are as much as twice cheaper than in Europe, especially used ones. But again in Europe they're in better shape. In Russia cars are even more expensive than in Europe because of all that taxes.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Neighbors across the street have 2 older benzo's, the neighbor 2 houses down has a viper, old jag v12, hummer h2, and some other cars. So it's not like the little 540 means too much around here.

Mines still sexier (and I never liked the production vipers - the concept car was wicked but they ruined it in production).

Out in the world I get some looks, but mainly because people don't expect a guy in grubby work clothes to get out of it. After all, I drive it to the steel yard when I'm buying short pieces.

·
Registered
57 Posts
vadim540i, so you have a 540 and lexus, u in the russian mafia? (j/k dont kill me!)

anyways how much are a used e39 in russia w/ taxes..etc?

·
chillen
1,438 Posts
Only from car guys... you can tell who they are you see them lookin in their side view as you come flyin past, or theyre turing their heads. but no respect from mustangs and ricers, and especially not from newer model bmw owners.

·
Registered
209 Posts
not much respect over here in the bay area...you can see sh#t load of them over here....espically the 3 series...but e39s are pretty rare.

·
Bimmerfest *******
830 Posts
no love for a grocery getter here =(...but i really don't mind...hehehehe

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
Not even remotely. They're a dime a dozen in the Bay Area. And contrary to the above Bay poster, E39's are certainly very common IMO.
In San Diego, it depends. I'm in La Jolla for college (UCSD). La Jolla is a pretty damn rich little area. Ferraris, Lambos, R-Rs, Bentleys, etc are common. In the rest of SD, BMW's are less common that the Bay Area, but there are still a decent number of them.

For fun, I took this pic on Sunday. This is in downtown La Jolla, the Cove. This garage is somewhat typical, actually. Escalade ESV in the drive, a Rolls Royce Phantom and Bentley Azure convertible parked side by side in the garage. And see that window? The *garage* has an ocean view!

Photobucket
</a>

·
Registered
750 Posts
You brought up my favorite topic. i am in LA and i do get some respect. but not because it's a 5-series bimmer. rather, it's a pretty good size sedan, and the lighting at night is quite awesome with the low beams and fogs. people tend NOT to cut in front of me. maybe the cars will look faster with brighter lights... i'd say a big suv will gain more respect on the road because other driver will chicken out.

it seems like the 3ers respect me the most on the road. i'd never had an issue with them when driving in the e39. but when i drove my prev car (a 97 style honda prelude), they will look cocky and do cocky stuffs to me. what's up with that??

no offense, but these cars have the least respects to my e39:

corollas - they don't seem to care anything. no fear! i think they drive faster than corvettes on average speeds
infiniti g35's (2dr and 4dr) - they always push the gas hard no matter what. maybe they like the sound of the engine. showing off they are driving a "luxurious" car
chevy pickups - numerous tailgates with hi-beam flashings, while i am 5+ miles on speed limits
honda crv's - tailgates, but hesitates to show what they want, so they stay right behind for minutes..very annoying as well

do you feel the same? :)

·
Retired Hotness!
921 Posts
Respect is not what I would call it here in the states at all...... The "CLASS" system is not as important here as it is in Russia (At leat from some of my reading).... I do think that people admire my car, and enthusiast appreciate it..... It is fairly clean for an 11 yo car.

My aggressive driving style is why peeps get out of my way, because they also do it when I am in the wifes Commuter Sonata.....

1 - 20 of 115 Posts