BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to know how much to pay the mechanic around the way one that got a bumper for me to pay for the labor to put it on. What price is a ok price. Im hoping that he will finish some other work too alongside that. The o2 sensors that i have been waiting on and the belts. So alll together what price is good for the labor. I know individually about but for the bumper as well.

·
New comer
333 Posts
it all depends on the mechanics 1 hour labor charge. It shouldn't take longer then an hour to put on a bumper. My mechanic charges a $90 1 hour labor fee for when i get my car fixed. For example, front rotor + brake pads + brake senor = $250 + $90 labor fee = $340 + tax. yeah thats how much i paid for both rotors and brake pads to be replaced with some NEW OEM ones.

·
Russell
959 Posts
body shops usually have a lower per hour rate. Ask your indy for body shop recomendations.

·
Russell
959 Posts
Bodyshops in our area are around $45.00 per hour labor, mechanical shops going rate is $90.00.
That's what i mean. my favorite body shop did a door latch repair on my Exp[orer for far less than a dealer or independent shop would.

·
New comer
333 Posts
That can be fixed, Some DIY on how to fix cracked bumpers. I've got a Crack on my front bumper on the right corner which popped out the fog light lens. Later on before i get the car repainted I'll be fixing up the crack on my own. No need to replace the whole bummer when a little elbow grease and patients can fix it up.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
There are compounds that can repair that but it is somewhat of an art form. Look up plastic welders online. There are plenty of vids out there on how to do it. OEM replacement rear bumpers can be hard to find and expensive. Search this and other forums for a part out and buy the rear bumper to save headache and cost.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I want to know how much to pay the mechanic around the way one that got a bumper for me to pay for the labor to put it on. What price is a ok price. Im hoping that he will finish some other work too alongside that. The o2 sensors that i have been waiting on and the belts. So alll together what price is good for the labor. I know individually about but for the bumper as well.
Are you somewhat mechanically inclined? If so, are you talking about the painted bumper itself or the entire bumper?
If its just the painted part, they are super easy to R&R.
Let me know if you want to do it yourself and I'll send you a link with step by step pictures and instructions. Again, very easy.
That being said, a knowledgeable person can do it in an hour.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I see two possibilities with that split. One is to simply fill it in with plastic epoxy, sand and paint. Body shops repair bumpers this way all the time, there are videos on Youtube showing how to do it.
Second is a good used bumper, probably less than $100, paint to match car.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
A new bumper is the way to go if its only $100. The bumper plate will crack around the epoxy as the epoxy is not flexible at all the way plastic is (a slight flexibility is required to absorb turning forces, bumps etc during normal driving.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.