BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple days ago a girl backed into the passenger side of the rear bumper of my '97 540i. As you can see she smashed the trim a bit; what you can't see is the paint where she hit is cracked pretty bad (little spider cracks). Any guesses as to how much it's going to cost to fix? I'm thinking if I get enough maybe I'll swap to a newer style.

Attachments

·
Hawks RULE!
1,166 Posts
I wouldn't count on it. I went through repaint and replacement on my '97.

Repaint: $125-250.
Replacement: $500-600. (bumper covers are pretty cheap for E39)

-Cago

·
Registered
44 Posts
The replacement is actually a lil high..

I've found bumpers for the 540i for 200$ the 300$ extra is the profit their trying to make out of you. Im not sure about the paint, you might right about that one... Well actually it also matters on where you want to get it from.. Im not sure about the dealership.. But if you look around on ebay.. you can find one for 200.

·
Hawks RULE!
1,166 Posts
525i guy said:
The replacement is actually a lil high..

I've found bumpers for the 540i for 200$ the 300$ extra is the profit their trying to make out of you. Im not sure about the paint, you might right about that one... Well actually it also matters on where you want to get it from.. Im not sure about the dealership.. But if you look around on ebay.. you can find one for 200.
I guess I should have specified: those prices are parts/labor/painted/installed. :thumbup:

-Cago

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Damn, I think that's still quite a ways away from what I could get an M-Tech or M5 bumper for, huh? Is that price incluing the new chromeline trim?

·
Registered
226 Posts
bumper covers are 500+ for a oem one from the dealer. used are around 200. paint install will be 200 dollars for a subpar job unless you know someone. to get a decent paintjob for the bumper it will likely be around 400-500.

im going through the process of having my bumper and lower spoiler repainted and it will cost around $700 just for the paint and labor because the shop is decent and does alot of showcars. basically the old rule of "you get what you pay for" applies.

·
Registered
529 Posts
The damage doesnt seem that bad. I doubt they'd pay to replace the bumper cover, or for anything more than a refinishing, and painting of the bumper you have now. A good full repaint would run about 3-400.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts