Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was just out of curiosity wondering how much would a swap be for a completely different engine for a 2005 545i and what are good engines to swap? And what would the process be like?

Sent from my LM-X210CM using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
27 Posts
So I was just out of curiosity wondering how much would a swap be for a completely different engine for a 2005 545i and what are good engines to swap? And what would the process be like?

Sent from my LM-X210CM using Bimmerfest mobile app
I swapped the engine in my wife's 2005 545i at 181k miles with a used engine that had 110k. $2200 for the engine and $1900 for R&R.

However, the heads were sent off to clean the ports, clean and reseat the valves and drill out the secondary airports.

New water pump, pulley, center pipe, valley pan, replaced 14yo brake lines, hoses, gaskets and a few odds and ends.

All done $8500 out of pocket which includes an old pan which was installed three days later!

This past week replaced all O2 sensors and the left front lower control arm. Car drives like a dream! Next big thing is to install lower temp tstat.

You might find a used 545 for $4-6k, but how much will restoration and customization cost? We are set for at least the next three years.

Personally, I want my e65 to grow up into a F01 one day!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Bimmerfest mobile app

1 - 2 of 2 Posts