BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Do the interns get Glocks
9,324 Posts
Probably more than its worth.

Its someting you do if you have a bunch of cash and like hands on projects.
Otherwise it would make better financial sense to sell your car and buy one with a manual trans.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had it done in my Z31 (85 300zx -- hence my handle, heh), supplied all parts, and only paid $150 -- he wouldn't take any more.

My mechanic is a "friendly neighborhood mechanic" type though, that works full time for NJ Transit, and has keys and stuff to a service garage he used to work at. Myself and all my friends take our cars to him for everything from oil changes to blown gaskets.

Finding a guy like this and tossing him $50 for an oil change every few months is well worth it, at the end of the day, when you want something like a tranny/engine swap and know it's going to be a fair amount of work.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I should note that auto -> 5spd in that car was basically a swap in replacement, with no fabrication, and very little work beyond operating a lift and messing with a lot of bolts.

There was some interior work to replace the shifter area, an ECU swap, and so on. If you need things fabbed, I don't have a clue how much you should expect to pay.

I provided an entire donor car to him to use as well, and let him keep it and the old tranny to part out or sell as he saw fit, so I suppose you should factor that into the cost as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.