BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08 M6 convertible and I thought it was a once a year service which I did about 2 months ago but my car says service due every time I turn it on for about a week now.

Have I just driven it so much that it needs another service or what? My service a couple months ago was 700 dollars so I was hoping to not have to do it again especially when I only have maybe 2 months left of driving it this year.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Time is typically not the issue with modern oil, so much as driving conditions. Especially with the 10w-60 our cars need. Is that what they used? Also, they simply might not have reset the service due notification, which is based on a complicated analysis of your driving style and atmospheric conditions.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes they used 10W-60 and the service light was on when I brought it in and it was gone up until last week. It is my first year with the car and it is only a summer car so I don't know if I will need 2 oil changes a year when I drive it so much in the summer.

·
totally obssed
203 Posts
I change it myself. I lift my car with a floor jack and then secure with jackstands. Drain old oil, remove old filter cartridge. Removing the old oil filter is a real PITA due to its location. Replace the old with approx. 9 liters of oil and a new filter cartridge. Costs approx. $100 for filter cartridge and oil.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Liters-E...ash=item235e80cbbc:g:SFwAAOSwwE5WZsg9&vxp=mtr

Unsure of yourself with this? Go to a BMW dealer. Don't use one of those "fast or discount" shops. They won't have the correct oil you engine needs.

·
Stevetheleg
56 Posts
I reset the oil service in the I drive under service and go to oil. I've always thought every 8,000 for oil however just done mine last week, reset the light and it came back 'good for 16,000! Still gonna do it at 8,000 tho for what it's worth ;-)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts