·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I used to have Audi Q7 with Continental 255 55 18
After 16000 miles dialer told me that I need new tires
I noticed that tires was uneven wear.
I changed the tires and preferred alignment and balance all tires.
After 16500 and half a year the same story repeats.
I ask the dealer “What is wrong”
He told me that I have a heavy car and this is normal for Q7.
I know it tires wear depends on many factors (acceleration,load ,tire pressure etc..)
So my experience got me wonder.
How often do you change your tires on your car ?
What is the manufacturer do you use?
What is your tires size?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
340 Posts
Your Audi history is common with the X5 running staggered sport setups, square non sport setups arent that bad.

Snow tires I replace at 5-6/32.
Never had a X3/X5 long enough to replace tires yet. Though taking off the new tires and putting something better on and then throwing back on when lease turn in.
On my other cars I burn through tires fast and replace at 3/32 or sooner if I find a deal on new ones before they get to that point or if I hate them.
Never will run AS or Snow tires Nov-Mar on anything less than 5/32.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Tire (tread) life is always a compromise; IF you want long tread you might have to sacrifice performance and visa versa. There are a number of things you can do to improve tire tread life; Proper inflation is important - as is correct wheel alignment. Avoid hard braking, acceleration, cornering.

Boring cars and boring drivers always get more miles out of their tires - fewer smiles but who's looking! LOL

·
Registered
8,882 Posts
BMWs use an aggressive camber on their cars, so there is increased tire wear. If one has summer tires on their car, the effect is magnified. My wifes X5 has staggered 20s and the factory run flat summer tires.

The car has 11k miles on it, and at the current wear pace it appears we will need to replace them in about 4-5k miles.

Its a lease so It has to go back with run flats on it, so I am not going to swap out of run flats. If we keep it, I will likely get another brand of run flats, but I dont find the run flat ride to be that bad in that car, and really am not interested in changing the tire myself or losing space to carry a spare since the car doesnt have space for one.

·
Registered
10,417 Posts
535i with 245/40-19 Michelin PSS's

I hyper-manage my tires, rotating them and adjusting the pressure based on accurate measurements of tread depth.

In 14,000 miles I've used up about 2.5 32nds inch of tread. But, about 2/3's of that were during the first rotation stint. Tires wear faster when new. Much of that was highway driving, and I drive efficiently in suburban driving.

The roads are straight and flat where I live, admittedly a waste of a BMW and of PSS's. The only time I get to use any significant amount of the PSS's capabilities is when I'm hurrying to catch a yellow light making a left turn. I expect to get 40,000 out of the tires. (I also expect to get about 95,000 miles out of my front brake pads.) I have a square set-up, so I can rotate my tires. That does wonders for getting the most out of the tires, especially with the BMW rear-camber thing.

I've taken four sets of tires to over 70,000 miles (VW Rabbit, Chevy pick-up, Honda Accord). But, that was running them down to 2/32nds inch of tread. It rarely snows in Floriduh, although it did a couple of weeks ago.

My first question was what is the dealer's definition of worn out?

Here's a cheat sheet on what causes the various tire wear patterns. Also, buy a tread depth gauge. Passenger car tires usually start out with 10/32nd inch of tread. Anything below 2/32nds inch of tread is illegal in most states. As DaCan23 said, driving in snow requires more tread.

Attachments

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
16,480 Posts
I am passing 32K on my OE front tires. Unfortunately my square rears had to be replaced untimely.

Tire wear is first a function of alignment. BMW ***8220;alignment***8221; (scare-quotes) is so widely broadly specified as to be meaningless, to make every driver happy and in spec, from drifty-kidz to racer-boyz to stingy grandpas like me.

I was taught BMW by BimmerFest user ARD. My X5 is aligned to 0.02° toe-in left & right, front & rear. That***8217;s as close as the BMW alignment machine can be read, and as close to zero as possible without too great of a risk of being toe-out. My camber is mid-range front and rear and balanced left & right.

I do have a dilemma. My fronts are nearing their end of useful tread life. The rears aren***8217;t a year old. My intention was to replace the StoneBridge crap with NOKIANs as soon as possible. Milady Wife will pitch a hissy when I want to replace still useful crap tires. Any suggestions getting me out of this dilemma. I live with snow and ice on the roads from Halloween to Easter.

·
Registered
8,882 Posts
I am passing 32K on my OE front tires. Unfortunately my square rears had to be replaced untimely.

Tire wear is first a function of alignment. BMW "alignment" (scare-quotes) is so widely broadly specified as to be meaningless, to make every driver happy and in spec, from drifty-kidz to racer-boyz to stingy grandpas like me.

I was taught BMW by BimmerFest user ARD. My X5 is aligned to 0.02° toe-in left & right, front & rear. That's as close as the BMW alignment machine can be read, and as close to zero as possible without too great of a risk of being toe-out. My camber is mid-range front and rear and balanced left & right.

I do have a dilemma. My fronts are nearing their end of useful tread life. The rears aren't a year old. My intention was to replace the StoneBridge crap with NOKIANs as soon as possible. Milady Wife will pitch a hissy when I want to replace still useful crap tires. Any suggestions getting me out of this dilemma. I live with snow and ice on the roads from Halloween to Easter.

Pitch your wife on the safety angle, and tell her that the rears may not be completely worn, but you have lost faith in their safety. I am sure she would go for that.

·
Registered
152 Posts

Tire wear is first a function of alignment. BMW "alignment" (scare-quotes) is so widely broadly specified as to be meaningless, to make every driver happy and in spec, from drifty-kidz to racer-boyz to stingy grandpas like me.

I was taught BMW by BimmerFest user ARD. My X5 is aligned to 0.02° toe-in left & right, front & rear. That's as close as the BMW alignment machine can be read, and as close to zero as possible without too great of a risk of being toe-out. My camber is mid-range front and rear and balanced left & right.

I do have a dilemma. My fronts are nearing their end of useful tread life. The rears aren't a year old. My intention was to replace the StoneBridge crap with NOKIANs as soon as possible. Milady Wife will pitch a hissy when I want to replace still useful crap tires. Any suggestions getting me out of this dilemma. I live with snow and ice on the roads from Halloween to Easter.
There's a good chance your owners manual is like mine and states you are to replace all 4 tires at once if any are wore out. ;)

·
Nuclear engineer
16,480 Posts
There's a good chance your owners manual is like mine and states you are to replace all 4 tires at once if any are wore out.
Thanks. I don’t need an owners manual to tell me that.

·
Nuclear engineer
16,480 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
535i with 245/40-19 Michelin PSS's

I hyper-manage my tires, rotating them and adjusting the pressure based on accurate measurements of tread depth.

In 14,000 miles I've used up about 2.5 32nds inch of tread. But, about 2/3's of that were during the first rotation stint. Tires wear faster when new. Much of that was highway driving, and I drive efficiently in suburban driving.

The roads are straight and flat where I live, admittedly a waste of a BMW and of PSS's. The only time I get to use any significant amount of the PSS's capabilities is when I'm hurrying to catch a yellow light making a left turn. I expect to get 40,000 out of the tires. (I also expect to get about 95,000 miles out of my front brake pads.) I have a square set-up, so I can rotate my tires. That does wonders for getting the most out of the tires, especially with the BMW rear-camber thing.

I've taken four sets of tires to over 70,000 miles (VW Rabbit, Chevy pick-up, Honda Accord). But, that was running them down to 2/32nds inch of tread. It rarely snows in Floriduh, although it did a couple of weeks ago.

My first question was what is the dealer's definition of worn out?

Here's a cheat sheet on what causes the various tire wear patterns. Also, buy a tread depth gauge. Passenger car tires usually start out with 10/32nd inch of tread. Anything below 2/32nds inch of tread is illegal in most states. As DaCan23 said, driving in snow requires more tread.
hat's off to you-i'm in s fl too, careful with inflation etc but never get more than 20,000 from my softs-but i do tend to "drive it like it's stolen"!

·
Nuclear engineer
16,480 Posts

·
Registered
10,417 Posts
Wear bars is THE criterion of excessively worn.
That's the one that state inspection stations, state troopers, and personal injury attorneys use. But, there are other subjective definitions of "worn out."

Almost everybody you encounter at a car dealership works on commission. So, their definition of "worn out" is different than the state trooper's. Many people have no clue what the acceptable tread depth is. It's not a stretch to think that some service writer would push some new tires when the old ones really didn't need replacing.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
They waxed my X5 today. I was walking around and admiring it because it's like new again lol. Then I saw a screw in the front right tire. It's not leaking as I check the pressure often via the idrive/menu. It's been there for some time as the screw head is nicely wearing out. 2 places said they can't patch it. I should ask a 3rd (my regular) store lol. Anyways these are the 275 and 315-wide factory Continental tires and they're now at 18.6k miles. I can probably get a few more months out of them but maybe will just replace them soon. One store said I can replace just this one tire ha ha. The other store insisted to replace all 4 lol.

·
Registered
10,417 Posts
I also got screwed, ironically on the way home from ordering our new X3 Frauwagen. It was in the right rear tire, in the outer most section of the tread. Because I back into our garage on the right (as seen facing the garage from the driveway), I could get to the tire to change it if it started leaking by pulling the other car out of our cramped 1.75 car garage.

A nail or screw in the tire is like a zit, booger, or fire alarm. I have this overwhelming urge to pop, pick, or pull it. When I did, nothing happened. The screw's length (not including the head) was about 7/32nds inch. I squirted some water in the hole, no bubbles.

I check and adjust my tire pressures every two or three weeks. I do so in the morning, when the car is completely cooled down and without the tires being exposed to sunlight (and heating). I adjust the pressure with a good dial pressure gauge and get them right at one PSI increments, exactly the same on the left and right tires on the same axle. If I see a difference in pressures between the left and right tires on an axle, I go looking for an embedded nail or screw and find one. The next morning I checked the pressures on the both rear tires, and they were exactly the same. So, I'm confident that I don't have a leak.

My tires are relatively new. I'm running them slightly over the recommended pressure, which tend to pick the edges off the pavement. The rear tires on BMW's have a lot of negative camber, and that acts to pick the outer edge of the tire off the pavement. All these factors, and the short length of the screw combined to save me.

Frau Putzer had demanded that we go Frauwagen shopping that day. On the way home from the dealership, I got an e-mail from BMW NA saying there's a $1500 loyalty credit on X3's. I really should have bought a few Power Ball tickets for tonight.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Conti RFT

They waxed my X5 today. I was walking around and admiring it because it's like new again lol. Then I saw a screw in the front right tire. It's not leaking as I check the pressure often via the idrive/menu. It's been there for some time as the screw head is nicely wearing out. 2 places said they can't patch it. I should ask a 3rd (my regular) store lol. Anyways these are the 275 and 315-wide factory Continental tires and they're now at 18.6k miles. I can probably get a few more months out of them but maybe will just replace them soon. One store said I can replace just this one tire ha ha. The other store insisted to replace all 4 lol.
Hi,I recently replaced my OEM 20" Conti tyres on my 2015 F15 with Conti RFT's. They have a special lining which automatically seals penetrations/screws up to 6mm diameter. Even if you remove the screw/nail they will self seal meaning that you should not have to remove/repair the tyre, which I thought was a good bonus as many car punctures here in the UK are caused by screws or nails.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Hi Bowler Ed, thanks for the info. I had to look it up and they indeed do have this feature. Just I wasn't sure if my particular tire model/part number has this nice feature.

I went to the 3rd store last Tuesday (my regular place near home, bought several sets from them in the past). They looked at it and said they can't fix this one. They fixed all my previous tire problems easily. They also tested with the water/spray bottle and said it doesn't seem to be leaking.

Today I went to the 4th store as I was getting ready to order new tires. This store is a Continental tire dealer (near work, bought from them before too). I looked at the tire and that screw is missing! :dunno: All that's there is a circular print/mark and the pin hole. I pointed it to the tire repair person. He did the spray test, said it wasn't leaking and said I don't need to buy new tires today since it's not deep enough to have caused a leak. I asked him if it's going to explode on the freeway... he said no... lets see...

(i'll just have to occasionally look in the idrive screen to see if it's leaking. So far it's the same.. didn't lose any air yet.)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Today, I had my original 20" staggered Zeros replaced 27k miles. I felt fortunate to get that many miles out of them. I had the dealer put the same tires back on there.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts