BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that I'm obsessive when it comes to my cars and was just wondering what the rest of you are like.
The first time I see dirt on my floor mats I take them out and brush them off. I vacuum the entire car 1x2 a week and wash it 1x2 a week and detail the car every couple of months. I have a storage room set up completely like a detail shop with all of my supplies, towel buffers etc.
Bear in mind this is something I really like to do, I find pleasure in detailing my car and driving it when squeaky clean. I wear a suit every day and keep myself polished so why not my cars.
Just me though...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Like you, I enjoy detailing too.

My car is garage kept and I live in Florida so it doesn't get too dirty. Here's my regimen:

ASAP: remove any bird droppings.

Bi-weekly: vacuum, dust, waterless car wash.

Quarterly: traditional car wash, wax rims.

Annually: clean and condition leather, washer/dryer floor mats, car wash, clay bar, sealant.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Thorough, but not excessive here. Vacuum whenever I start to see dirt on the floor mats. Exterior gets dusted or washed whenever I can see dirt. Use detailer spray on paint after every wash / wipe down. I do a thorough cleaning / paint sealant every 6 months.... usually spring and fall since that preps for winter nastiness, and gets all the crap off afterwards. Leather seats get a cleaning and application of leather conditioner about the same frequency, though not necessarily at the same time as the exterior. Wheels get a minor cleaning every few weeks and a major cleaning (including paint sealant) when I do the rest of the exterior sealing.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
I love the look of a clean car so I go a bit overboard.

I wash the car at least bi-weekly with two bucket and I use a detailer (FK425) to dry it. I clay the car twice a car. As for waxing probably every 4 to 6 months. Interior I vacuum when necessary. Interior get wiped down about once every couple of weeks. The leather gets conditioned about bi-monthly. That is about it :).

Oh and I got a cabinent full of detailing stuff.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I take mine to dealer once per week to get my free car wash.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I take mine too my local "White Glove" car wash every 2 weeks and wipe it down in between.

I don't know too much about using sealers, but I do wax it several times a year.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I take mine to the hand car wash whenever it gets dirty and a full detail every 1-2 months.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
I take mine too my local "White Glove" car wash every 2 weeks and wipe it down in between.

I don't know too much about using sealers, but I do wax it several times a year.
Sealants are just artificial waxes. I am betting most stuff on the shelves these days are not 100% carnuba.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Fahrer, how much paint you got left there:yikes:
It is a cloth type car wash and there seems to be little impact on the paint quality. Actually at this point, I really do not care so much. When I took delivery of the car, when new, it had a pretty crappy paint job from the factory. Now after 57,000 miles of driving on bad highways, the paint is really chipped on the hood. I am just waiting until the lease is up so I can get another new dd.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I know that I'm obsessive when it comes to my cars and was just wondering what the rest of you are like.
The first time I see dirt on my floor mats I take them out and brush them off. I vacuum the entire car 1x2 a week and wash it 1x2 a week and detail the car every couple of months. I have a storage room set up completely like a detail shop with all of my supplies, towel buffers etc.
Bear in mind this is something I really like to do, I find pleasure in detailing my car and driving it when squeaky clean. I wear a suit every day and keep myself polished so why not my cars.
Just me though...
I detail my car probably once a year, this includes:
steam vac the carpet
Clay-bar the entire car (I like Riccardo-yellow or Uber-blue for clay)
paint correction (mostly just Menzerna PO85RD/soft black foam pads on Flex 3401 DA)
Zymol Concours for protection afterward
Clean the leather and condition
clean the vents and spray einzett Klima
****-span the glass inside out
Tire dressing

Other than that just wash the car by hand every other month or when I feel like it.
I can't afford getting new car every 3-years or so so this is what my wife told me I have to do:bigpimp:

BTW, sealant/polymer last way longer than carnuba wax but it's too glossy with that "silversih" tone under the sun, I like more neutral carnuba look (some people says warmth color tone)

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Although some sealants have a nice carnuba like shine - or some sealants even have carnuba in them. I love Blackfire Wet Diamond.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Is Armor All protectant good to use on the dash, steering wheel, etc?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Sealants are just artificial waxes. I am betting most stuff on the shelves these days are not 100% carnuba.
Just to clarify:

No wax product is 100% carnuba. If it was it would be rock hard, not paste or liquid. Waxes only last 3 or 4 months. Indeed, 50% of the wax is lost in the first month. Waxes provide the best depth and clarity and shine, and also fill in light scratches, but must be re-applied 3 or 4 times a year (which means you have to claybar too . . . a lot of work).

On the other hand, sealants are artificial and last an entire year. Sealants don't fill scratches as well and don't have the same depth and clarity, but for a daily driver (which mine is) I feel sealants are most practical because I only have to claybar and apply sealant once a year. An added bonus is that some sealants include a very fine polish so you can actually do light polishing while sealing at the same time. With waxing, you have to polish in a separate step in between the claybar and wax.

This comes from someone who used wax religiously for 6 years before making the switch to sealant.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
what do you recommend instead then?
Plenty of good choices. For quick cleaning I use Meguire's Interior Detailer. I love Aerospace 303. Einsatz Interior pflege (if that is the spelling) is good too. Optimum's stuff is good too.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Just to clarify:

No wax product is 100% carnuba. If it was it would be rock hard, not paste or liquid. Waxes only last 3 or 4 months. Indeed, 50% of the wax is lost in the first month. Waxes provide the best depth and clarity and shine, and also fill in light scratches, but must be re-applied 3 or 4 times a year (which means you have to claybar too . . . a lot of work).

On the other hand, sealants are artificial and last an entire year. Sealants don't fill scratches as well and don't have the same depth and clarity, but for a daily driver (which mine is) I feel sealants are most practical because I only have to claybar and apply sealant once a year. An added bonus is that some sealants include a very fine polish so you can actually do light polishing while sealing at the same time. With waxing, you have to polish in a separate step in between the claybar and wax.

This comes from someone who used wax religiously for 6 years before making the switch to sealant.
Good points.... waxes give a natural shine - although some hybrids come pretty close (such as Autoglym HD). For sealants I have settled on Blackfire Wet Diamond which gives a great shine. If you want a mix of sealant and carnuba with easy on and off, get Optimum Car wax - it is an awesome spray wax.

·
Registered
154 Posts
what do you recommend instead then?
When it comes to "protecting" the dash and steering wheel the best protection is to block UV rays. I legally tinted my winshield along with the rest of the windows and this works great. If you cannot tint legally, then your next best option is to use one of those fold up windshield sunblock devices.

Other than this, the only protecting I see is the leather on the steering wheel rim that gets contaminants from your hands' natural oils, dirt, etc. Once a year, I would use a good cleaner and then conditioner (2 steps) to clean all leather surfaces that make routine contact with people in the interior including the wheel.

There are many great products out there. I personally use Griot's interior cleaner to clean the surface, then treat with Griot's leather care. I found this process works great.

Other than routine dusting and vacuuming of the interior, I don't see a need to apply any chemical treatments to the actual dashboard itself.

One other note: I've noticed that compared to Japanese cars I've owned, that our leather is much higher quality and is actually color dyed through and through versus just painted on. The end result is that the cleaning and conditioning process I described above works even better on our leather.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts