Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
:-)
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for those of you with the variable maintenance intervals, obviously..

i wanna know how often real world people have to go in for service. also, if you could let us know how aggressively you drive, that'd help.

actually, it really doesn't matter, since the 03's ahve 4 years free maintenance, but it is a hassle to have to take it in for service..

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
In my 2.5 years of ownership, I've been to see the dealership a total of 5 times with my car, 2 times for services and 3 times for various minor problems that I wished to have addressed.

·
Registered
561 Posts
4 times in 17 months. No issues in the last 5 months... hoping to make it until two year mark without another visit. 3 warranty/recall trips (aux fan, thermostat, final stage resistor, driver door midrange speaker) and 1 for annual oil change.

·
lurking
18,069 Posts
6 times in the last half year. my car is in right now for a rubber strip under the sunroof that fell off. the adhesive came undone. this is getting really annoying. the car was in several times this year for the weatherstripping problem. other times it is in for door rattles, bad tweeter... the list goes on.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
3 times in 15 mos. Alarm activation (not a 'service') fan recall and oilservice.

Any other problems/issues/maintenance I took care of myself.

·
My TARDIS is a BMW
5,352 Posts
Have had the car for 7 months. 1 visit to the dealer to change car memory programming (turn on auto-locking) and get some supplies/parts. 1 visit to an independent BMW mechanic for a 5K oil change.

·
5,820 Posts
Bought car June 01 w/4000k miles.

Initial visit to reprogram computer options to my liking (free)

Very brief visit to correct ticking sound, lubed a dirty (salty) bushing in the rear, 10 minutes. (free)

Next visit to install hardtop and change oil, 7500k

Visit last week at 15k for first service, oil, filter, microfilter. (free)

·
Registered
10,695 Posts
8 times in 14 months.

I had 6 problems-- w/ the car that were present the day I picked it up. They were all minor but its taken multiple trips over the last 14 months to get them worked out (the final problem will be the sticky pedal). My biggest debacle was the steering retrofit--which ended up taking me about 6 trips to various dealers and I don't think i'll ever completely like my steering. this wouldn't be an issue in a 2002 or later model year. Even though BMW service has been bad, and I've had to go back multiple times, I'm somewhat heartened that:
-all of the problems were minor (rattles, and "Feel" issues)
-They were all present when I picked up the car--I haven't had new problems develop-- so I think that I'll be seeing the dealer much less --atleast for the next 4 years now that I have the initial bugs worked out.

Since I've been to the dealer so many times, I sometimes start thinking of my car as a "problem car". Its really not, and most people wouldn't have even taken their cars in once for the problems i had. Case in point: my father bought a 740i 2 years ago-- he's only been to the dealer once for an oil change and is completely happy w/ the car. I rode it in a few weeks ago and immedilately noticed:
-a door look switch was broken
-sqeuaky sound when openeing drivers door
-several interior rattles
-rain sensor wipers don't really work
I didn't point these things out to him because he likes his car, and he doesn't notice these small problems. I would've brought the car in probably 6 or more times to have these issues corrected.

IF bmw dealers could just be more competent and courteous, the minor problems we all have would seem truly minor.

·
BMW + twisty road = fun
5,886 Posts
Fixed under warranty:

1) Sticky Pedal fixed - 21,000
2) Drivers side front window regulator replaced - 19,000
3) Drivers side rear door wood trim replaced (didn't fit properly and wouldn't stay attached) and broken white trim clips both sides replaced - 21,000
4) Rear door black outside trim replaced (clips broken) - 19,000
5) Door dent fixed drivers side rear (dealer dented when window regulator was replaced) - 21,000
6) Passenger side front window regulator just went out... service appt. Oct 10th.:mad:

Not fixed:

1) Excessive front tire wear (tech said it was within specs). - 19,000
2) Rough idle before car warms up (tech says within in specifications).
3) Front spoiler lip split (dealer stated that it had scrapes and was caused by hitting curb, yeah ok but I have had many cars with low front spoilers and scraped them and never had one split on me... I think the should have replaced spoiler).

·
:-)
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
actually, i wasn't asking for 'service' as in stuff that goes wrong, but oh well, it gives me a good idea anyway..

doesn't the new 3 series cars have 'variable maintenance intervals' depending on your driving style and climate conditions? if so, i was wondering how often your car says you need routine maintenance (oil changes, etc..)

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
mgs333 said:
actually, i wasn't asking for 'service' as in stuff that goes wrong, but oh well, it gives me a good idea anyway..

doesn't the new 3 series cars have 'variable maintenance intervals' depending on your driving style and climate conditions? if so, i was wondering how often your car says you need routine maintenance (oil changes, etc..)
Any E46 made after 6/2000 uses fuel consumption as the sole measure for the service countdown. Depending on the model, its between 600 and 670 or so gallons of gas used. If you get crappy fuel economy, it will count down faster and vice versa. No more counting of cold starts, short trips, etc. like the old SI system. With 'average' use, it will theoretically be every 15k mi, though most people here see somewhere closer to 13-14k. But many here do oil changes and other service more often than that.

·
TMS
9,288 Posts
First trip tonight in the 3 months/4300 miles I've had the car. An unscheduled visit brought about when my check engine light came on while I was driving home from work tonight. Fortunately, I was less than a mile from my house and just drove it home. The engine sounded like it was running on something less than 6 cylinders and it smelled as though something was burning. I may ask them to check out the sticky pedal too as long as they've got the car. I drive aggressively for a 46 year old man with no points on his driving record (which can be attributed to a combination of luck and good judgement).

Roadside assistance got my phone number wrong, which delayed the pickup of my car by an hour. On the bright side, the delay motivated the dealer to give me a loaner since the local car rental place had closed 30 minutes earlier. I get to see what a non-SP 2001 325i manual drives like.

·
Registered
10,695 Posts
Hey Art-
We've got the same car (2001 325i 5sp sport). What month was yours built? I haven't had window regulator problems yet but I ionly have 11k on the car. What happened? Were they maiking noises- or did they just stop working althogether?

Artslinger said:
Fixed under warranty:

1) Sticky Pedal fixed - 21,000
2) Drivers side front window regulator replaced - 19,000
3) Drivers side rear door wood trim replaced (didn't fit properly and wouldn't stay attached) and broken white trim clips both sides replaced - 21,000
4) Rear door black outside trim replaced (clips broken) - 19,000
5) Door dent fixed drivers side rear (dealer dented when window regulator was replaced) - 21,000
6) Passenger side front window regulator just went out... service appt. Oct 10th.:mad:

Not fixed:

1) Excessive front tire wear (tech said it was within specs). - 19,000
2) Rough idle before car warms up (tech says within in specifications).
3) Front spoiler lip split (dealer stated that it had scrapes and was caused by hitting curb, yeah ok but I have had many cars with low front spoilers and scraped them and never had one split on me... I think the should have replaced spoiler).

·
BMW + twisty road = fun
5,886 Posts
I will check my build date... its on the drivers side door right?

On my car the windows would squeak, like its rubbing against the door seals, first bad sign... then eventually you will hear a scraping or grinding noise coming from the regulators... then it eventually gets louder and make a clunking noise.

... stop never roll the window down again it may get stuck down!

To get my windows back up I had to press and force the windows up while someone operated the window switch.

This real amazes me that a car company like BMW with their outstanding engineering can not design a working window! :tsk:

·
Registered
210 Posts
No service yet (9000km)

But has this ever occured to you?

I left the car with the A/C and radio running for about 15 minutes (there were passengers in the car). When I returned and turned the engine on, there was loud rattling sound and vibration from the engine. No lights came out on the dashboard. It felt like a cylinder was not working. I switched off and on and everything worked fine. Haven't seen the mechanic yet. Any ideas?

Let me also remark on:

> Rough idle before car warms up
> (tech says within in specifications)
It must be the noise from the exhaust recirculation pump.

> Front spoiler lip split (dealer stated
> that it had scrapes and was caused
> by hitting curb... I think the should have
> replaced spoiler)
And my roof was dented and scratched badly by a stray dog or cat. Are you serious that I must ask for a repaint because the paint didn't withold the treatment ftom the animal's nails?

> On my car the windows would squeak
> like its rubbing against the door seals
Mine did that on the driver's side. It has stopped now, and I think it should have been dirt stuck in the interior of the seal. But your message alarmes me...

> check engine light came on
Mine too, twice. In both cases BMW attributed it to low fuel quality.

·
BMW + twisty road = fun
5,886 Posts
> Rough idle before car warms up
> (tech says within in specifications)
>>It must be the noise from the exhaust recirculation pump.<<

There is no noise the car runs rough... the tech said it was within spec., so my guess is the air conditiner is causing a rough idle in the 325 on startup.

> Front spoiler lip split (dealer stated
> that it had scrapes and was caused
> by hitting curb... I think the should have
> replaced spoiler)
>> And my roof was dented and scratched badly by a stray dog or cat. Are you serious that I must ask for a repaint because the paint didn't withold the treatment ftom the animal's nails? <<

My car has a split spoiler... I dont' expect BMW to repaint my spoiler because of the scrapes if you drive in the city thats going to happen... the split is because of bad design or it has a defect that caused it to split. The spolier may be to hard and needs to give a little more. I've had many cars with low spoliers and never had one split.

·
fahrer
1,387 Posts
I'm at just over 6k miles and looking to get it into service soon,
but only for an oil change.

So far:
- oil & filter at just over 3k miles
- sticky pedal replaced around 4800 miles
(estimates - all records are at home)

I'm ending up one of "those guys" who changes their oil a
bit more frequently than the interval.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
A whole bunch of times

Mostly related to the torn subframe, squeaking rear end, on my 3rd windshield, etc, etc....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts