BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my other cars, I usually get my tires rotated at every other oil change. Just wondering how often for my e60 530i.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I don't own a bimmer yet, but when I got new tires for my Audi and had them balanced and an alignment, the guy at the shop said I don't need to rotate them ever. He used the hunter alignment machine and said not to rotate them.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I don't own a bimmer yet, but when I got new tires for my Audi and had them balanced and an alignment, the guy at the shop said I don't need to rotate them ever. He used the hunter alignment machine and said not to rotate them.
Thats a first for me...and we have an Audi. I generally stay with 5,000 miles between rotations. Only vehicle that doesn't get rotated is the M3 and thats because it's staggered (generally replace the rears twice for every set of fronts).

·
Premium Member
14,837 Posts
Probably with whatever works for you.

If I were able to rotate (have staggered tires) I guess I'd probably do them every oil change.

Not to start a controversy, but there are conflicting sources on whether or not BMW recommends rotation or not. I've not found definitive direction across the line, but my E46 Bentley manual definitely indicates that due to BMW suspension setup and wear patterns they do not recommend rotation at all.

But it's your car, I say if you see benefit go ahead.

·
friend of the marque
4,943 Posts
I rotate mine every 5K, but I do it myself.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Never.

·
Registered
102 Posts

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Not gonna do it. Well, more like, can't do it. :)
Oh, and shamulater, there's more than just the M3 that run a staggered set up.

dj

·
Pick your line...
375 Posts
Front and rears are different sizes (height & width), your 530 may be different depending on the setup. Unless your car is severly out of alignment I don't really think it will do much good. Use em' up and replace em'.:thumbup:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Actually I'm somewhat amazed. I grew up old school and rotating your tires was a fact of life if you wanted to get the most mileage out of them. Never even occured to me that it may have become somewhat unneccessary with some of the newer vehicles. Normally I associate cupping front tires with a lack of rotation (fact of life with my truck and all the previous trucks I've owned). My M3 has shown no real problems with no rotation other than the wear factor with the rears. I'd be interested to see some tests on this non-rotation deal. Anyone have any links on this?

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
I forgot to mention that I didn't rotate my tires either. I asked my SA and he even told me it was not necessary. And my tires are not staggerd. Although the rear tires do have little more wear than the fronts. My front tires are like new still amazingly.

·
Drink the koolaid or else
2,693 Posts
BMW recommends AGAINST rotating your tires.

·
Premium Member
14,837 Posts
BMW recommends AGAINST rotating your tires.
Not to be argumentative or anything, but could you source your quote please?

I had a real good look online in various user manuals, as well as my own (a car, an SAV, and my E46 Bentley manual) and there is no solid "BMW recommends this..." or "BMW recommends that..." I can find. :dunno:

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Not to be argumentative or anything, but could you source your quote please?

I had a real good look online in various user manuals, as well as my own (a car, an SAV, and my E46 Bentley manual) and there is no solid "BMW recommends this..." or "BMW recommends that..." I can find. :dunno:
Pg 229 of my 5 series manual does say rotating between axles is not recommended. :)

dj

·
Registered
466 Posts
Actually I'm somewhat amazed. I grew up old school and rotating your tires was a fact of life if you wanted to get the most mileage out of them. Never even occured to me that it may have become somewhat unneccessary with some of the newer vehicles. Normally I associate cupping front tires with a lack of rotation (fact of life with my truck and all the previous trucks I've owned). My M3 has shown no real problems with no rotation other than the wear factor with the rears. I'd be interested to see some tests on this non-rotation deal. Anyone have any links on this?
Different perspective: I grew up in Europe and had never heard of rotating tires prior to coming to the US. First time a US dealer did this to my previous car, I asked them to change them back and leave them alone.

I am pretty sure my parents never did that (the only thing we changed was to put the snow tires once in a while - they are not into cars though). I have owned a few cars on the other side of the pond (not luxury) and was never advised to rotate tires by the service shops.

Looks like it may be cultural. Here, the dealers have managed to convince consumers to pay for tire rotation and frequent oil change and extract more $ by scaring people. Not sure of all of this is warranted. Especially on European cars.

FM

·
Registered
198 Posts
Ok...did a little research to satisfy my own curiosity. All tire manufacturers recommend tire rotation. From my experience over the years, the life expectancy is definitely increased especially on more heavily ladden vehicles. BMW recommends against tire rotation for the simple reason that they are more concern with optimum performance rather than tire life. Rotating the tires does change, if even slightly, the handling characteristics of a car and with BMW being a more percise vehicle, that tire rotation handling change would probably be much more significant than in a regular family sedan. Bottom line it appears, your tires will last longer if rotated every 5,000 or so...expected increase in mileage is between 12 and 20 thousand (or roughly a year extra given the average mileage most people put on their cars).

·
Registered
223 Posts
In my other cars, I usually get my tires rotated at every other oil change. Just wondering how often for my e60 530i.
Someone has to say it:

I rotate my tires every time I drive. I tried driving with the brakes on, but it wasn't as much fun.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts