Bimmerfest BMW banner

21 - 40 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
My buddy Pete loves to sit behind me, top down and looking for all the world like the King of England being chauffeured around his kingdom.
That is great!:thumbup:

·
BMW CCA Member
3,419 Posts
I'm 33 (emotional maturity of about 24...), and purchased my E36 in January of 2010 after my rusty '93 Maxima went down an injector (not an easy job on that car...) and needed plenty of other work. Despite being a truly phenomenal car, it didn't make sense to repair it. I had a bank account which could've afforded more, but I wanted a simple, RWD car which was easy to work on and emphasized the driving experience. So, the E36 checked all the right boxes for me and I'd do it all over again.
Holy cow, I thought you were 40 for some reason. LOL!!

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,448 Posts
Ha! Nope, I haven't hit that milestone yet. Maybe you thought I was 40 because I do amazing things such as use full sentences and somewhat decent punctuation? Kids these days...:rofl:

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I'm 25 (and a month) old now. My 36 Feldt was more of an "I'm independent" statement.

Last year (march) I turned 24 I started driving my dad's Odyssey and switched to a job that made buying a car affordable. I am the first of my family to finish High School and go to College. I had to work to pay off tuition and with my crappy job I barely made it.
When I got the new job I knew I could afford a car (and wanted one for quite a while), also I had to transfer to the big U to continue school after getting my Associates from the Community College. The new school would be a 30 min train ride then a 30 min walk to campus, it wasn't practical time and money wise. I decided to look for my own car because sharing the single car at home was not easy between parents (tho they don't drive much) lil bro and myself.
I looked at every make and model around my area, I was shooting for a 4cyl Jap car to save on gas. I had no luck as all cars had no serious sellers, in bad shape and overpriced with big mileage. Top of my list were Sentra, 240sx, 90's Civics, Corolla, Lexus IS300 and Impreza.

I then decided to set some clear requirements, I was looking for a car that had good MPG, not beat up, under 150k miles and fit my budget range of $3-4k. And either manual or auto but preferable manual.

I was trying to stay away from Euro because of parts but the E36 was a car that had enchanted me so I looked for some around my area, found a couple and when I got to Feldt there was something about her, I feel like I sensed her personality (best way I can describe it), we're car guys so you know what I'm talking about, and had that gut feeling "this is the one". I got her for $2k and 143k miles, joined the 'fest and started to catch on maintenance, I'm only left with suspension as of now (and the auto to manual swap :rofl:) have put close to another $1k on her but she's solid now.

When I got her, I knew nothing about working on cars, I had only changed a tire and made a single oil change before owning mine. But since I'm a tinkerer by nature, love taking apart stuff, analyze the inner workings and put it back together and fix things, learning about cars and working on her is very easy, mostly thanks to you guys you all been the most helpful, taught me lots and still learning. Now I work on my BMW, the Odyssey and helping my bro with his GTI. My dad knows how to do basic maintenance but he's left all work to me now, he's not a car guy so didn't teach me how to work on them, likes to pick on me about the car (because of BMW lol) he wanted me to get a Honda, Toyota or Nissan (sure parts are "cheap" but they break down more often) and I did too but couldn't find one that was worth it.

So there it is, I worked hard to get her, get her in shape and prove my self first that I'm independent.

bliger7gz
Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
BMW CCA Member
3,419 Posts
Ha! Nope, I haven't hit that milestone yet. Maybe you thought I was 40 because I do amazing things such as use full sentences and somewhat decent punctuation? Kids these days...:rofl:
Well no, it wasn't the grammar. It was just the way you carried yourself when you made posts. :) I grew up in a time when the internet was just a baby. Grammar back then versus now... holy cow. You could watch the degradation of society as the internet became more mature.

·
Strength in Knowledge
346 Posts
Looks like I am in good company at 57 years old! I bought mine because my wife wanted a convertible and she really like the size (small) of the E36.

I haven't had a BMW since I left Germany almost 30 years ago. I use to own a BMW 2000 (first car), a BMW 2500, BMW 2800, 1602, and a 2002ti while living in Germany.

·
D'oh, You Kids!
29,157 Posts
You could watch the degradation of society as the internet became more mature.
I've never heard that term before. I'd say it was de-evolving rather than maturing.

Besides, the Internet is for pr0n. :rofl:

·
Slip slidin around town
1,359 Posts
I'm 28. Have owned 26 cars, 7 of them were bmws, 3 of those 7 were E36s. I have had an obsession with the E36 for a long time and always dreamed of a M3 sedan. All of my bmw's have been sedans now that I think about it. I have never had my car in a shop and have been wrenching on all my vehicles since 16. I can't drive a completely stock car for some reason, and I don't care for automatics unless it's a truck or luxury cruiser. My current car is a long time dream come true and I plan on never parting with her under my own terms. I will however buy another vehicle so I can retire the M3 to a weekend only car. Future plans include, FI, and a nice new paint job. I love the E36 because of its good looks, and the driving experience it offers the owner.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Please, call me Brian.
10,782 Posts
The day I turned 18 I bought a 1998 328is.

It was between that and a lifted Dodge Ram 1500, and I suspect I'd have a LOT more money now if I'd never been bitten by the "car bug."

·
Young + Dumb
663 Posts
Im 19 next month, and got my car when I was 15 from a family friend. I picked it up for 800, taught myself all I know about them with the help of the forums, and got it road ready by the time I got my learners permit. We started autocrossing before I even had my license and the rest just progressed. Granted, I dont autox near as much as I want to.... Broke college kid.

·
Ambitious But Rubbish
1,231 Posts
I'm 24 and the M3 is my third E36.

I bought the blurple 328i because I had too many half-priced margaritas the night before, and thought that spending $1k on a "slightly" rusty (until you looked underneath, which I didn't because hangover + snow on ground) E36 would be an upgrade from my E34, and be "a fun project." Sold it eight days later because it needed new rocker panels welded in. Noooope.

I bought the green 325i because the E34 was a very pretty POS and the 328 didn't work out. The green car was really flawless. I put M-Contour wheels on it, changed a few suspension bits, and the thermostat, and promptly put 15k on it in a year. Sold it because I blew the motor in my Miata, and decided having two cars from '95 was a bad idea since I no longer had a reliable backup. Bought the Focus ST which I didn't love for the money. Should have kept on dailying the green car. A friend of mine owns it now.

I bought the M3 because I blew the Miata's motor, put another motor in and blew that up in 1,200 miles (it was bad before it went in...). The love affair with the Miata was over after six good years, so I sold it and started looking for a new track car. Was going to get a 325i (potential Spec3 car!) and ended up deciding to just go full-force and get an M3 because, well, why not. It's a riot to drive and I'm glad I went for the M-car instead of an M50, mainly because I like the extra power.

Then I sold the Focus and bought a 128i because I didn't like the ST as much as I'd initially thought I did. The 128 drives like an E36 that isn't leaking anything, and it's wonderful.

·
Jesse Moon Bayne
8,245 Posts
I'm 25. Bought my e36 when I was (20?), can't remember haha. I just had to have a bmw!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Im 19. Reason why I got a e36 was because I had a hobby/hustle in selling shoes. Lol. One week I made good money and wanted to buy a second car to mess around with
searched Craigslist and ALLWAYS wanted a BMW. Saw a dealership was selling a 94 325is for around 2k. Hassled with them and came walking out with a pair of new keys
:p I dont drive it as much. Since I'm fixing it up o it could look pretty. But does this thing make me happy. Lol

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'm 27, started with e36 when I was 20ish I've had 50+ e36s now (I buy junkers, fix them, keep the ones I like and sell the others and I've had many parts cars) I can't say why I bought the first one or why I got so deeply into them but I've always got a driveway full so something works.

·
318iSteve
122 Posts
I'm 20, and my E36 was bought two days before I was born in Schweinfurt, Germany. Dad figured that since the car brought me home from the hospital it should be my official first car. Couldn't have asked for anything better

·
D'oh, You Kids!
29,157 Posts
Cool story, bro! :thumbup:

JDM=Japanese Domestic Market

21 - 40 of 148 Posts