BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an ED trip for August (2nd one, although first one at the Welt). I was hoping to get there by 11am from the airport and had hoped that I could pickup the car and go. I am not interested in staying at the Welt or doing the tour, just want to drive off as quick as possible. How realistic is this? Or should I expect to have to spend many hours there? Thanks for your advise.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I would guess that you should plan at least two hours. At the old pick-up location, it took at least an hour and the Welt handles delivery for not just Americans, but many other nationalities. The Welt is much more exciting than the old location and the time will go by quickly. I was given the ability to opt-out of certain activities like the simulator.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I have a 10:30am delivery time and was told to be at the Welt no later than 9:00am. After they check your passport/driver's license, what else do you do during that hour and a half prior to delivery other than have breakfast and sit around until 10:30?

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
You can also ask on the day if you can go a little earlier. Also have them skip the presentation/simulator and minimize the car introduction. That will get you out the door the quickest.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I'm sure if you told them to skip any non-essential stuff (like the car overview and virtual-safety presentation) you could be in and out in an hour or so assuming they weren't backed up with other deliveries or anything out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
The email I got and talking with the ED folks on the phone all mention get there an hour and half early. However, I visited the Welt the day before my pickup and just confirmed all is well with my pick up and the people at the front desk mentioned you only need to be there an hour a head of schedule. I was down the ramp by 9:45am so all in all it only took 1 hour, 45 minutes to complete the delivery. I'm sure you could do it much quicker.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I have a tight schedule too.. plan arriving around 7:30a, suppose to check in to Welt @ 9a. Rolf is picking me up and I advised him of this and he kind of blew it off basically saying if I arrived a little after 9a it would be no big deal. If anyone would know he would so I take comfort in that.

As far as quick in and out, when you do your paperwork just tell the adviser assigned to you that you only want to pick up the car and do not need a run down of it's features, etc. They'll take you to your car, hand you the keys, and you go. However, you can't avoid the preliminary paperwork, etc. and no way to expedite it, so expect to be at the Welt for a couple hours.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, very helpful.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I have a 10:30am delivery time and was told to be at the Welt no later than 9:00am. After they check your passport/driver's license, what else do you do during that hour and a half prior to delivery other than have breakfast and sit around until 10:30?
You fill out paperwork, get information about the insurance, and get instructions like always keeping your keys with you and the like. Additionally, I have had the person who helped with the paperwork answer questions about local driving conditions, directions etc. I felt that the time allowed was just enough when we were at the Welt in 2009. If we had less time, it would've felt rushed and more time would've been hard to handle with a two-year-old. All-in-all the staff is accommodating within reason and will expedite if at all possible. Remember that there are multiple deliveries happening at the exact same time and the staff makes an effort to make each one special. For instance they don't want multiple people on the staircase at the same time, so you will have to wait for the group in front of you to clear before they even walk you from the premium lounge.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I suppose you can be in and out in about 2 hours or so, but I do suggest you take some time and see the place a bit. It's a large part of the ED experience I think. When i was there, I planned on being out of there by noon but ended up staying for almost the whole day.

·
201 Posts
Paperwork takes 15-20 minutes. Get the keys and go. If you aren't playing games, you could blow it out in 30 minutes. Place is neat and worth a look not to mention food and drink. Best kind of food is free food. I ate like I was going to the electric chair.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App

·
Freude am Fahren
19,696 Posts
Paperwork takes 15-20 minutes. Get the keys and go. If you aren't playing games, you could blow it out in 30 minutes.
Not possible. The paperwork is separate from the delivery and they won't run down the stairs with you to get the car. There's also a waiting period between paperwork and delivery.

Also, if the Welt is busy, which it almost always is now, there will be a wait simply to get to the paperwork.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
If you skip the self-promoting driving arcade non-sense and the car overview, you can probably be out of there in an hour, I'd guess.

For example, if you have a pick-up time of 10:30am, you should arrive around 9:00-9:30am. Sign the forms (that takes 15 minutes), and then wait for 30-45 minutes in the lounge until your pick-up time.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Why would you not want to spend some time in The Welt? It's a fabulous facility with lots of stuff any guy would love, including free food and beverages. If you're going all the way to Germany then take in the full experience. The only part I would skip is the simulator.

·
Registered
10,695 Posts
Why would you not want to spend some time in The Welt? It's a fabulous facility with lots of stuff any guy would love, including free food and beverages. If you're going all the way to Germany then take in the full experience. The only part I would skip is the simulator.
Totally agree. I'd spend the whole day there if possible.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I know I will get this kind of comments about spending the day at the Welt, but I am travelling with family and kids and we have a different agenda. This is not my first ED and won't be my last.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I guess I look at "BMW Day" a whole lot different than you and spent a good 5-6 hours there to soak up the experience and explore the Welt but nonetheless, congrats on your ED and enjoy your new car and the beautiful European roads.

·
///Multiple
4,525 Posts
I guess I look at "BMW Day" a whole lot different than you and spent a good 5-6 hours there to soak up the experience and explore the Welt...
That's what we're planning to do! That is, if BMW Welt ever decides to confirm our reservations for the factory tour. I've sent them three previous requests, dating back to late January. They responded to the first two basically saying "get back to us later". I just sent another follow-up today because they haven't answered the last follow-up I sent last week.

Has anyone else that is taking May delivery gotten a confirmation from BMW Welt for the factory tour? Supposedly reservations for May weren't available until last week.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
That's what we're planning to do! That is, if BMW Welt ever decides to confirm our reservations for the factory tour. I've sent them three previous requests, dating back to late January. They responded to the first two basically saying "get back to us later". I just sent another follow-up today because they haven't answered the last follow-up I sent last week.

Has anyone else that is taking May delivery gotten a confirmation from BMW Welt for the factory tour? Supposedly reservations for May weren't available until last week.
I've sent two requests and received similar responses. Thanks for the reminder to send out another request for tour tickets.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts