Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy a used 3 series. Maybe a 328 or 335i. Something with good output but not too expensive. How reliable are they in the sense that, how often do you have to replace expensive parts.

My definition of reliable is just the usual oil change and tires and brakes. Unreliable I think of sensors, pumps, etc...

Our family has had the 2005 X5 and it was amazingly reliable. Only had to change the rear air bag suspension once. So I count that as pretty reliable. Everything else was smooth.

We've also had a 2015 X3 and its been to the shop a fair amount. Not too much but a fair amount. Mainly had issues with programming of ECU problem and stuff like that. One other part which had to be ordered from Germany but I forget which.

So going back to the 3 series. Have all the kinks been worked out and are repairs expensive?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My dream car is the Z4M but I have a weird feeling the reliability isn't high. Please tell me I'm wrong. Do they have those rod bearing issues? And correct me if I'm wrong, rod bearing issues are an easy issue to avoid, just by warming up the car first?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hello kirr and welcome! From what I have seen, and others will chime in, the 2016 ans 2017 3 series is very reliable, according to your definition. Not as maintenance free as a Japanese car, but not prone to issues. Of course, lower mileage cars are a better bet, as well as those that have been serviced by a competent and knowledgeable shop for routine maintenance.

·
Registered
316 Posts
My 2014 X1 (which has the N20 engine and ZF 8-speed trans like the 3-series) has been very reliable. Only warranty issue was replacing the air bags. There has been some issues with the N20 (like the plastic chain guides) that you might do some research on.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a 2017 330ix I factory ordered and took delivery early Dec. 2016. I wanted a six but the store I've had multiple 5 series from them said check out the four. If they did not tell me it was a four I would have thought it was a six. Not quite like my old 540. So far just oil change. Nothing needed adjustment or repair.

·
Registered
243 Posts
as long as u avoid the 4 cylinder n20 they are decently reliable. the N20's are garbage and i wouldnt keep one past 70k miles
Ziggy, can you explain your comment? I'm very curious.

·
Registered
243 Posts
My understanding is that the timing chain problem on the N20 engine was corrected on all cars produced after January 2015. Is this not correct?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hello good morning fam, please can someone recommend a good BMW/mini part's dealer in UAE,SOUTH AFRICA,USA,UK or German for.

Sent from my Infinix HOT 4 Pro using Bimmerfest mobile app
Nhyiraba, you will get a better response to your request if you post it as a New Thread under "General BMW Questions," rather than here. Best to you!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Looking to buy a used 3 series. Maybe a 328 or 335i. Something with good output but not too expensive. How reliable are they in the sense that, how often do you have to replace expensive parts.

My definition of reliable is just the usual oil change and tires and brakes. Unreliable I think of sensors, pumps, etc...

Our family has had the 2005 X5 and it was amazingly reliable. Only had to change the rear air bag suspension once. So I count that as pretty reliable. Everything else was smooth.

We've also had a 2015 X3 and its been to the shop a fair amount. Not too much but a fair amount. Mainly had issues with programming of ECU problem and stuff like that. One other part which had to be ordered from Germany but I forget which.

So going back to the 3 series. Have all the kinks been worked out and are repairs expensive?
Repairs are always more expensive on europeans
but the LCI 3 series has been rock solid so far
but not knowing how the previous owner treated his car, I would lean always to CPO with some sort of multi-year warranty coverage

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
as long as u avoid the 4 cylinder n20 they are decently reliable. the N20's are garbage and i wouldnt keep one past 70k miles
I don't think it's fair to call N20's garbage. True the early ones had timing chain guide problems but we are not seeing complaints on later versions.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I don't think it's fair to call N20's garbage. True the early ones had timing chain guide problems but we are not seeing complaints on later versions.
Thanks, I thought that was true.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts