BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How good are black book wholesale values for BMW cars? Do dealers really pay near the prices listed in the book?

I'm shopping for a used 06 325xi and have gone to two dealers in the NYC area. I started with the black book trade in value and went up from there, but the two dealers both claim that they paid approx 2k more than the black book value... that seems a lot

The car in question

06 325xi
15-20k miles
leather
automatic

black book clean trade in ~ 24000-25000 (fluctuates on market conditions)
my asking price ~ 25000 - 26000 --->>is this reasonable?

One of the dealer showed me a sheet with an ACV column with numbers like 202670006 and said that the 5 numbers in the middle is what they paid for the car - 26700. Another dealer told me that the black book trade in values are different from wholesale values and they paid about 2000 more than that trade in value.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Well, in NJ all dealers use Galves. I believe this carries over in NY, too.

Now, as to the rest of your question, if the wholesale/trade-in value truly was $24-$25k, then no, your offer of $1k over that is not reasonable.

IF buying a car that is non-CPO, I typically pay ~$1500 over wholesale, and even this is a battle all the way (most times). I will go as high as ~$2200 over if its really nice and I really want it. If it is CPO, you need to add at least $2k to that number for a bmw. My understanding is they pay a good amount to CPO their cars. So you are talking roughly $3500 over wholesale/trade-in.

If you don't want to pay the fee for Galves, you can always cruise on over to Edmunds and find the Real-World Trade-in Values message board. A generous salesperson there by the name of volvomax will provide you with actual dealer auction numbers on the type of car you are interested in.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I asked Volvomax for actual dealer auction numbers and he said about $23000 average condition.

Is this average condition? -
The car has a few small scratches on the body (not very noticeable), some deep scratches on the driver side bottom of the front bumper. Tires 50% worn, brakes look new. Both main keys have the BMW logo ripped off, seems kinda odd to me. Drives fine at least on local streets.
I haven't took it for a full inspection yet.

Also are CPO BMWs available only at authorized BMW dealer? How do I know for sure that the car is CPO or not?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts