BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Lieutenant Colonel
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend keeps telling me that because its turbo charged it won't be as reliable as the E9x M3.

So if one is regularly servicing it at BMW, how many miles do you think it will run until problems start to arise and one would rather sell it than keep repairing one problem after the other?

·
East Coast Commuter
4,628 Posts
My friend keeps telling me that because its turbo charged it won't be as reliable as the E9x M3.

So if one is regularly servicing it at BMW, how many miles do you think it will run until problems start to arise and one would rather sell it than keep repairing one problem after the other?
These cars are too new to answer your question. I have a 2015 with 39k miles and it has been very reliable. But most cars are very reliable until they get close to 100k miles. Wait another two years and see how the M4 is doing when some of the 2015's have 70-90k on them.

·
Lieutenant Colonel
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These cars are too new to answer your question. I have a 2015 with 39k miles and it has been very reliable. But most cars are very reliable until they get close to 100k miles. Wait another two years and see how the M4 is doing when some of the 2015's have 70-90k on them.
Right, that explains why I didn't find any answers when I googled this

·
Banned
10,015 Posts

How long do you think you'll have this car?

I have a turbo'd ride, nearly 500,000 miles, turbo going strong, diesel.

Does your friend have verifiable data?

·
Lieutenant Colonel
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How long do you think you'll have this car?

I have a turbo'd ride, nearly 500,000 miles, turbo going strong, diesel.

Does your friend have verifiable data?
Well he is a BMW mechanic, he says that he starts getting gifts turbo cars like some of the newer 7 series with turbos around the 100K miles period for turbo replacement and he advised me against buying an M4/M3 used if it has the new turbo engines but he said it's fine if it's new and under warranty

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
I think you are just getting antsy over the car you ordered, lol. I bet you are reading every article on line about the car and worrying yourself sick about the smallest thing (we have all done that, so I am not making fun of you, just teasing you a bit lol).

If you keep trying to find fault with the car you ordered before you even get it, you are going to drive yourself crazy. Just try to forget about it (yeah right, I know lol) until the car comes in, THEN obsess about it :thumbup:

·
Banned
1,988 Posts
Well, ask him what he thinks of the bearing problems with the last three naturally aspirated M engines (I6 e46, V10 e60, V8 e9x). Hell there's a class action lawsuit brewing over the S65 V8.

·
Lieutenant Colonel
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think you are just getting antsy over the car you ordered, lol. I bet you are reading every article on line about the car and worrying yourself sick about the smallest thing (we have all done that, so I am not making fun of you, just teasing you a bit lol).

If you keep trying to find fault with the car you ordered before you even get it, you are going to drive yourself crazy. Just try to forget about it (yeah right, I know lol) until the car comes in, THEN obsess about it :thumbup:
Youre right, my patience is over I have been waiting for the moment I receive the car since 4 months it has damaged my brain cells watching every video on YouTube and reading lots of articles

I have to stop worrying, heck I am already thinking of getting the car and not driving it and using my 2005 330Ci Convertible as a daily driver just to not put lots of miles on the M4. I know I'm crazy, I just wanna have it

·
Lieutenant Colonel
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, ask him what he thinks of the bearing problems with the last three naturally aspirated M engines (I6 e46, V10 e60, V8 e9x). Hell there's a class action lawsuit brewing over the S65 V8.
Word, in fact, when I was there I met one of the BMW UAE club forums staff and he was getting his rod bearings changed on his E92 2012 M3 changed as he approached 100,000 miles just to be on the safe side before something goes wrong he said

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I would think that no spare tire would be #1 on "Worry list" Bottle of goop coupled with stranded on I95 is not a happy thought. Turbo worries??? Nah

·
Registered
465 Posts
Turbo cars have been mainstream in UK/Europe for over 10 years now... Teething issues with turbos have been long resolved. You would be hard pressed to find a single new car in UK/Europe nowadays that is not turbo charged (regardless of petrol or diesel).

The M3/M4 may be a higher boost engine, but the fear of turbos failing is not something you should particularly worry about.

Enjoy your ride...

·
Lieutenant Colonel
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Turbo cars have been mainstream in UK/Europe for over 10 years now... Teething issues with turbos have been long resolved. You would be hard pressed to find a single new car in UK/Europe nowadays that is not turbo charged (regardless of petrol or diesel).

The M3/M4 may be a higher boost engine, but the fear of turbos failing is not something you should particularly worry about.

Enjoy your ride...
Your post is such a relief. Thanks m8

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've always thought turbo engines were less reliable than NA. It didn't stop me from getting a Turbo 13 yrs ago. Never had any significant reliability issue. With 240k km on the clock, it's still accelerating like the first day and it's super clean (I've always used the best quality petrol and lubricant). I still love my good old Leon Cupra R MK1, basically an Audi S3 mkI on the cheap (same engine, chassis, suspension etc but less luxurious.).

When I gpt my NA E92 330 coupe (2006 indirect injection) 3 yrs ago, I chose it over the turbo 335i because of the 335's HPFP reliability issue, not because of its turbo.

·
Lieutenant Colonel
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've always thought turbo engines were less reliable than NA. It didn't stop me from getting a Turbo 13 yrs ago. Never had any significant reliability issue. With 240k km on the clock, it's still accelerating like the first day and it's super clean (I've always used the best quality petrol and lubricant). I still love my good old Leon Cupra R MK1, basically an Audi S3 mkI on the cheap (same engine, chassis, suspension etc but less luxurious.).

When I gpt my NA E92 330 coupe (2006 indirect injection) 3 yrs ago, I chose it over the turbo 335i because of the 335's HPFP reliability issue, not because of its turbo.
Awesome man. This makes me much more positive and confident about my new BMW

1 - 14 of 14 Posts