BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
mostly lurker...
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was in one of those conveyor things where it pulls your car along in one side, whole thing took about 1.5 min, and car went thru it in P with enginer running. Car drives fine afterwards, no noise no light no nothing. Am I royally screwed?? Tranny? Differential? :cry:
Don't laugh but this is my first time thru an automatic car wash, I'd always hand wash it before.....

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
only time will tell... j/k..

next time make sure to engage the hand brake and put the car in neutral

·
Keeping it surreal
43,351 Posts
only time will tell... j/k..

next time make sure to engage the hand brake and put the car in neutral
Engage the handbrake ?????

·
mostly lurker...
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So the point is to let your drivewheel roll while the car is being dragded along? So back to my question, how much damage has been done to the tranny or differential?

·
Keeping it surreal
43,351 Posts
So the point is to let your drivewheel roll while the car is being dragded along?
No effen way....you just want it to roll freely in neutral

So back to my question, how much damage has been done to the tranny or differential?
There`s no way to know that, but given that you`re on a low-friction surface (i.e., a wet floor), probably not much to worry about

·
Registered
591 Posts
correct.. why?
Dude, are you kidding around? Why in the world would you engage the hand brake when the purpose is to let the car roll smoothly through the wash?

Oh, and be careful of those touchless car washes. To get your car clean without any contact they have to use some seriously heavy duty chemicals. Took me some time to figure this out, but those chemicals are pretty harsh on your paint and all the rubber on your car.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Dude, are you kidding around? Why in the world would you engage the hand brake when the purpose is to let the car roll smoothly through the wash?
nvm.. I was thinking about a regular car wash, not the "drag type" :eek:

·
VIII
8,087 Posts
Oh, and be careful of those touchless car washes. To get your car clean without any contact they have to use some seriously heavy duty chemicals. Took me some time to figure this out, but those chemicals are pretty harsh on your paint and all the rubber on your car.
They're fine for a few washes in then winter, better then nothing. Rest of the year, handwash.

·
mostly lurker...
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
As fastbob said, any chance the tires weren't spinning but rather was dragged across the floor? I'd much rather deal with a worn patch on one tire than a chewed up differential or tranny. What signs should i look for if something is broken? car still have 1.5 years of CPO warranty on it....so hopefully it shows up sooner rather than later :(
Only reason i went thru the autowash was to get the underbody sprayed after the winter. Stupid me i thought there were rails on both sides of the car until halfway thru the wash when i saw the car in front...never again with autowash...

·
Keeping it surreal
43,351 Posts
As fastbob said, any chance the tires weren't spinning but rather was dragged across the floor? I'd much rather deal with a worn patch on one tire than a chewed up differential or tranny. What signs should i look for if something is broken? car still have 1.5 years of CPO warranty on it....so hopefully it shows up sooner rather than later :(
Only reason i went thru the autowash was to get the underbody sprayed after the winter. Stupid me i thought there were rails on both sides of the car until halfway thru the wash when i saw the car in front...never again with autowash...
Look....stop obsessing over this, OK? There`s about a 99.999 % chance that if anything was gonna happen, it WOULD have happened already. It appears that you learned your lesson....case closed !

·
Freedom isn't free!!
2018 Glacier Silver 340i M Sport
20,099 Posts
It was in one of those conveyor things where it pulls your car along in one side, whole thing took about 1.5 min, and car went thru it in P with enginer running. Car drives fine afterwards, no noise no light no nothing. Am I royally screwed?? Tranny? Differential? :cry:
Don't laugh but this is my first time thru an automatic car wash, I'd always hand wash it before.....
Are you absolutely sure of this??!! :confused: I don't see how it's possible, because all four wheels have to be able to rotate. I don't believe the rollers that push the car along have nearly enough force to push a car in Park.

·
Registered
273 Posts
yea, i've had my foot on the brake right before entering a wash, and the rollers would go under and past the tires rather than push the car. I assume a car in park would do the same to the rollers - It wouldnt move.

·
resU deretsigeR
6,259 Posts

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Any chance this carwash has tracks the move all the way thru? Because I would think the park pin would of clicked like mad with it in park if it was dragging on the rear wheels. Actually I cant even picture the car wash having something that could even pull a car that was in park to start with?

·
mostly lurker...
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The belt was on the left, it had wheelchocks that keeps the wheel on the rail from rolling, so the left side of the car rests on the rail and was not moving, I saw this from the car in front of me, its right side wheels were rolling. I didnt feel any clicks on the transmission stalk, I just felt periodic jerks on the steering wheel pulling the car to the left. Anyway car still holds in P, so who knows what happened :dunno: lesson learned for sure...

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
The belt was on the left, it had wheelchocks that keeps the wheel on the rail from rolling, so the left side of the car rests on the rail and was not moving, I saw this from the car in front of me, its right side wheels were rolling. I didnt feel any clicks on the transmission stalk, I just felt periodic jerks on the steering wheel pulling the car to the left. Anyway car still holds in P, so who knows what happened :dunno: lesson learned for sure...
If it had one wheel rolling and the other stationary on the back, the open differential would allow the right wheel to roll while the left is stationary, with no stress on the driveline.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.