BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 97 328is and i wanna black out my grill. how should i do it and what should i use? i want it to be flat black and i want it to hold up, i live in new england. thanks

·
Look at this guy....smh..
65 Posts
Well some would say "the 1st way is to search, they're are plenty of threads about it". But i dont want be an ass, so take the grill out, sand it down, gets some primer, and flat black paint and paint it. Or you can order them off a website such as ddmtuning.com :thumbup: or u can do it the extra cheap way and get some spray paint and just go at it. but i wouldnt recommend that :)

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,469 Posts
Although I didn't "black out" my grilles, I did recently paint just the slats of the grilles with PlastiDip. Grilles look like new and haven't had any issues with chipping/flaking. As with any kind of paint work, the preparation/priming is critical to getting a good bond.

·
Registered
625 Posts
ecstuning's are on backorder which i'm waiting for. paint them yourself if you think you can do it but you don't want it to look too shiny or too new. i say buy them from tms, ddm, or something but whatever you choose black kidneys +1

·
some kid
10,495 Posts
Yeah, it's not worth 35 bucks to buy black grills. Just sand down and clean the chrome up a little bit before priming and painting and you'll be fine. I painted mine and I don't think they chipped at all for the few months I had them on.

·
I feed trolls
4,976 Posts
CJ, why did you only have the grilles on for a few months?

:p

What grit do you guys use? Im thinking like 400?

·
Registered
12,961 Posts
Sand with 800 grit wet or dry sandpaper, spray with a self etching primer, lightly sand again with the 800 grit, then spray with your color coat.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I painted mine about 3 times with normal flat black paint because of rock chips. Then I painted it with Plasti-dip and its been fine ever since, i would highly recommend Plasti-Dip.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts