BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I would like to say Hi to everyone that are on this forum. I am finally a BMW owner for the first time.

Anyhow, I got a 325Cic which is the off the anchor (chain). It looks amazingly beautiful. I want to get an alarm for it. Should I go buy it at the dealer and have them install it for me? Or would I be saving more by buying it online and installing it myself?

Also since it is a convertible, is it the same alarm system that the regular coupes have? I know they got on on circlebmw, Part Number: 65 73 9 416 520 for $225.

Thanks for helping this newbie out.

·
fahrer
1,387 Posts
The general rule is to get it from Circle or Cutter, install it
yourself, and then go to a dealer to have it "activated."

Depending on the dealer, you might pay anywhere from ~$0-60
to have it turned on.

Not sure about convertible prices, but my sedan cost me $215
installed at dealer prep - I was later told I didn't get charged
correctly.
:D

You can find DIY's all over, and if you're reasonably adept
at using a screwdriver, it doesn't seem overly challenging:

http://e46fanatics.com/faq/alarminstall
http://www.my330i.com/mod8.php

·
Registered
8,179 Posts
You should get one for around $150.00 because the convertible alarm does not include the motion sensor.

Some dealers, like mine in FL, program the alarm at no cost if you already have it installed. You can try that; if not, let them install it for you and probably get the programming for free...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Not sure whether you think it's worth the trouble, but the BMW alarm for E46 convertibles in Europe includes 2 interior motion sensors mounted in the center console. Since I often leave the top down on my M3, I felt it was a 'must have'.
I bought it from a German dealer for 250 euros. Without going to Germany, you might be able to get Steve Diamond at Eurobuyers.com to get one for you through his German connections. The P/N is 65 60 0 021 150. You will also need to order a "sensor cover" for the back of the console in a color that matches your interior.
I did the install myself. Wiring in the motion sensors is not a big deal, but you do need to do some splicing, etc. The rest of the system is identical to the U.S. alarms, so the DIY files are applicable. The dealer needs to activate it after installation.
It works well. The motion sensors activate after 60 seconds, and protect the interior from "inquiring hands". :thumbup:

·
Shiftin
404 Posts
I just bought an alarm for my 330i for 225 at CircleBmw. I had one in my '01 325cic and it was simple to install. Took me 20-30 min. It's only two pieces: Siren and rear tilt sensor. Do not waste your money on labor.

·
Spending Way Too Much
211 Posts
CzTom has listed the correct part number for a Cabriolet alarm. You can also get it from a Canadian BMW dealer, but someone on "Roadfly.Org" told me it is illegal in the US due to FCC regulations...not sure if that's true (?). The cabriolet motion sensor uses SDR (Short Distance Radar), not Ultrasonics, like a coupe or sedan.

Here's a link to a posting I made on Roadfly, with Part Numbers, CDN prices and contact info.

Cabriolet Alarm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts