BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
swinging a big stick
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am bringing car in for a few warranty repairs. Service indicator has one bar left (changed oil on my dime since last reset) and I made appointment for Saturday. It will be 362 days since my last BMW paid for service. Will I get a free oil change or will they really make me come back in 3 days?

I didnt ask over the phone, I thought I could be more 'persuasive' in person. Does anyone have any experience with this situation?

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
My dealer gave me problems in a similar situation. They wound up making an exception, and gave me a free an oil change, but did not reset my service indicator (partly because I wasn't anywhere near having enough miles to qualify).

My impression is that the dealers are audited by BMW, so they want to avoid having problems by breaking the rules.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
Mine was strict to the book about the one per year (or 15k miles). However I used that to my advantage when I made them pay for a brake fluid flush. At first they didn't want to but I pointed it out in the maintenance booklet and the manager finally conceded.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If a service advisor was initally telling ya that a brake fluid flush was not required after two years, I'd most definetly use another advisor/dealer in the future!! That could be dangerous!

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
Most times they are fine within a couple of weeks either way. And in your case, it is likely that they will do the full oil service and reset the indicator.

Some service intervals have changed, radiator is now 4 years. Brake flush may have gone to 3, not sure, I track enough it isn't a worry (other than stopping them from flushing out my Motul 600).

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
cimbali said:
If a service advisor was initally telling ya that a brake fluid flush was not required after two years, I'd most definetly use another advisor/dealer in the future!! That could be dangerous!
The service advisor was on my side the whole time and eventually persuaded the tech or manager to do the flush. Unfortunately, I had to take it back in the week after, but he got them to detail the car (complete detail, inside/out) at no charge.

·
Registered
852 Posts
AzNMpower32 said:
Mine was strict to the book about the one per year (or 15k miles). However I used that to my advantage when I made them pay for a brake fluid flush. At first they didn't want to but I pointed it out in the maintenance booklet and the manager finally conceded.
Mine won't even do one until teh service light comes on. I've had the car for over a year, still have "5000" to the next service (don't do a lot of miles). Of course, I have changed my own oil, but that's not the point...

·
Registered
575 Posts
my service light just came on today, telling me to go to service center to replace oil and filter. I'm confused bc the miles still list 1600 miles left till next oil change but below that it states to get my oil change right now.:dunno: I have currently have 16.6k miles on the odometer in 9 months of driving.

·
Ich liebe mein BMW
3,776 Posts
My dealer changed the oil about 3k miles before the indicator said it should be done.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
govtec said:
my service light just came on today, telling me to go to service center to replace oil and filter. I'm confused bc the miles still list 1600 miles left till next oil change but below that it states to get my oil change right now.:dunno: I have currently have 16.6k miles on the odometer in 9 months of driving.
As a general rule, dealers should change your oil under the scheduled maintenance plan when:

1) Maintenance minder remaning mileage is <500mi
2) One year from delivery date
3) SES light comes on

·
Banned
6,970 Posts
LA525iT said:
I am bringing car in for a few warranty repairs. Service indicator has one bar left (changed oil on my dime since last reset) and I made appointment for Saturday. It will be 362 days since my last BMW paid for service. Will I get a free oil change or will they really make me come back in 3 days?

I didnt ask over the phone, I thought I could be more 'persuasive' in person. Does anyone have any experience with this situation?
There is one horrible dealer near you which could give you sh!t. The owner operates the business as a hobby, and to be able to play with the new Bimmers, so nobody there has an incentive to do anything but try to make as much money as they can from an indifferent dealer and his unsuspecting customers. I won't mention any names, and there are maybe 3-4 dealers equidistant from you in the Marina, but if you pray to the Saints Maybe you can figure it out.

·
swinging a big stick
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Malibubimmer said:
There is one horrible dealer near you which could give you sh!t. The owner operates the business as a hobby, and to be able to play with the new Bimmers, so nobody there has an incentive to do anything but try to make as much money as they can from an indifferent dealer and his unsuspecting customers. I won't mention any names, and there are maybe 3-4 dealers equidistant from you in the Marina, but if you pray to the Saints Maybe you can figure it out.
I dont go to Santa Monica BMW. I wont even go to their Parts Counter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts