BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, call me crazy, but as attractive as that glaring yellow, black, and white airbag warning sticker is on top of the GPS cover/sunglass holder in the middle of the dashboard, I want to remove it. Yeah, the old adage goes something like "WD-40 will do the trick" but something tells me I shouldn't use the spray and scrape method here. Peeling it off hasn't worked, it rips before getting too far. Has anyone else done this and how did they do it? (FYI, I am a new X3 owner and this is a 2005 X3 3.0i)

Thanks in advance!

·
Ukemi - that's how I roll
4,252 Posts
Freeze it using compressed air from a computer dust can. If you spray air a bit and tilt the can straight down it will come out at sub zero temperatures,

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Evlengr, that sounds a little risky though, and not certain it will work? Does this do anything to the dash plastic?

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
ac, I just peeled mine right off with no tears or problems. Stuck it on the cover of my owner's manual just for a place to put it. I have a '06 BTW so I don't know if they have changed adhesive since then. It was in the sun so it was nice and warm when it peeled up just fine.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Freeze it using compressed air from a computer dust can. If you spray air a bit and tilt the can straight down it will come out at sub zero temperatures,
Nice avatar - see you are still looking to make friends. :tsk:

You should be able to trade even for a RAV...

·
4,252 Posts
Thanks I got it from the website that does custom roundels.

The old one was getting boring. Figured I'd add some color.

·
Registered
2018 X5M, 2014 X3
769 Posts
Ours peeled right off when new. Now that your's has been on so long, the glue has dried and it is making it more difficult to remove. I would peel what I could off then take a rag and some Goof-off and rub until it all comes off. I have used Goof-off on numerous sticky residues and it works well with just a rag and no scraping.

·
4,252 Posts
Have you tried some hi quality isopropyl alcohol 96% or better?

Or Goof Off works too.

You may want to try them on an obscure hidden away piece to see if it will discolor or impact it negatively, but that should work on most sticker adhesives.

·
Registered
485 Posts
just peel it off as much as you can and then use lighter fliuid to remove the rest......actualli using WD-40 works just as well ...just dun get it on the windshield caz is a PITA to get it off

·
Registered
307 Posts
A hair dryer will soften it up enough to peel off. Then use Goof Off for Plastics, or Goo Gone to remove the residue.

You can also totally remove the yellow airbag labels on the sun visors by using regular Goof Off. It takes a bit of time, but they do come totally off.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just peel it off. That's how it's designed.
Why didn't we think of that? Oh wait, b/c when we originally posted we said it RIPS after just trying to peel it off a little bit. This is Mrs Acurrier by the way....

Thanks for all the helpful tips... those of you who provided helpful tips. I don't think it was designed to just peel off... If it was designed that way, the original owner was VERY lazy and left it to sit there for 2 years so now it's REALLY GLUED ON THERE. We'll let you know what works.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Why didn't we think of that? Oh wait, b/c when we originally posted we said it RIPS after just trying to peel it off a little bit. This is Mrs Acurrier by the way....

Thanks for all the helpful tips... those of you who provided helpful tips. I don't think it was designed to just peel off... If it was designed that way, the original owner was VERY lazy and left it to sit there for 2 years so now it's REALLY GLUED ON THERE. We'll let you know what works.
Well, "MRS." mine peeled off in a nice sheet. Sorry yours didn't, but then that's what you get with a used vehicle.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts