BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've picked up to mags on Chevy and Ford and to my interest, they talked about adding things to make your car extremely fast and step by step instructions and pics to either modify the car to be fast, etc. Where is something like this for BMW? I saw a european magazine a while back and I didn't pick it up. It seemed like the counterpart to the American mags that tell you how to soup up your car. It was in Borders which went out of business and I hate I didn't buy it. If anyone with any knowledge and tutorials can help please do! Very interested in this area.

:D

· '12 X5 35d Black-on-Black
1,994 Posts
Why?

& a supercharger is probably the WORST way to increase performance. In the event you don't already know this, Alpina did a super charger for the '05 through '08 7-series. Cost...around $8K but it was usurped by BMW themselves when they added the twin turbos to the 7-series in '09. Alpina now "tunes" those TTs and gets more out of them than the supercharger ever could.

Or are you talking about adding a "blower" and using nitro? If that's the case, the AMG engines and transmissions are a FAR better option. You see the 7-series tranny is good, strong and tough but your going to burn it up once you put more than 600HP to them (as you could with alternate fuel and blowers). In contrast, the AMG engine itself is "hand built" and designed to be FAR more sturdy than the 7-series v8 (or even the v12).

In short, why would ANYONE put lipstick on a pig?

Sorry- wrong thread. I was trying to reply to the 7-series inquiry. I guess I could see someone trying to get performance out of a 3-series by dropping in a TT v8 into it and seeing how fast they could lite their hair on fire. Go for it and post the results!

· Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why?

& a supercharger is probably the WORST way to increase performance. In the event you don't already know this, Alpina did a super charger for the '05 through '08 7-series. Cost...around $8K but it was usurped by BMW themselves when they added the twin turbos to the 7-series in '09. Alpina now "tunes" those TTs and gets more out of them than the supercharger ever could.

Or are you talking about adding a "blower" and using nitro? If that's the case, the AMG engines and transmissions are a FAR better option. You see the 7-series tranny is good, strong and tough but your going to burn it up once you put more than 600HP to them (as you could with alternate fuel and blowers). In contrast, the AMG engine itself is "hand built" and designed to be FAR more sturdy than the 7-series v8 (or even the v12).

In short, why would ANYONE put lipstick on a pig?

Sorry- wrong thread. I was trying to reply to the 7-series inquiry. I guess I could see someone trying to get performance out of a 3-series by dropping in a TT v8 into it and seeing how fast they could lite their hair on fire. Go for it and post the results!
Thanks friend for the insightful information. Good stuff!:thumbup:

· Registered
2,433 Posts
you have to be kidding me...

Hi everyone,

I've picked up to mags on Chevy and Ford and to my interest, they talked about adding things to make your car extremely fast and step by step instructions and pics to either modify the car to be fast, etc. Where is something like this for BMW? ...

:D
BMW is a sport/luxury sedan NOT a drag car. The electronics, steel, interiors etc for domestic brands are much more suited to making a 'drag' car...vs a premium European luxury sedan. You can make your BMW faster, but making a BMW a straight line performance car is a lot like putting a diesel motor in a canoe...

Good Luck...man you wanna do this get a Camaro, Mustang or a host of other cars...don't hack up a BMW...

· Registered
1,227 Posts
BMW is a sport/luxury sedan NOT a drag car. The electronics, steel, interiors etc for domestic brands are much more suited to making a 'drag' car...vs a premium European luxury sedan. You can make your BMW faster, but making a BMW a straight line performance car is a lot like putting a diesel motor in a canoe...

Good Luck...man you wanna do this get a Camaro, Mustang or a host of other cars...don't hack up a BMW...
How is adding more power to a BMW considered "hacking" it up? You can drag, track , auto X ANY car. I'm sure the OP doesn't want to make a dedicated drag car.

· Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How is adding more power to a BMW considered "hacking" it up? You can drag, track , auto X ANY car. I'm sure the OP doesn't want to make a dedicated drag car.
True I want it much faster but also for everyday driving. I like originality and the idea of "just buy an M5 or something else faster" won't apply to me since I have a faster 750 but I wanted to make this like a project car as an enthusiast!

· Registered
1,227 Posts
How to build BMW Supercharged or Drag Car?
True I want it much faster but also for everyday driving. I like originality and the idea of "just buy an M5 or something else faster" won't apply to me since I have a faster 750 but I wanted to make this like a project car as an enthusiast!
His title and subject matter don't coincide. He just wants a faster car. There's bolt on supercharger kits that add a decent amount of power.

· Registered
2,433 Posts
kinda weird

His title and meaning don't coincide?

Ya for $3k you can get a supercharger kit...if anyone has that kinda $ to drop on a 15 year old car 'to make it faster' then perhaps they could come up with another means of going fast. Read, and look over time, and tell me what you find...how many start this project that actually finish...I think in the past 5+ years since I've been here I remember 2...

GL to the OP...and if you're one that is gonna start with a $3k kit and add 2 more getting it in a 10-15 year old car...more power to ya.:thumbup:

· Registered
1,227 Posts
Yes they don't coincide. You were thinking he was going to make an all out drag car and he chimed in and said he just wanted more power to play with. And a lot of folks have been successful with supercharger kits, no clue what the hell you're talking about. Money/HP gain ratio is great with forced induction.

BMW started off as a high performance car manufacturer unlike these garage queen models seen nowadays. The E28 M5 had a basically tuned down M1 engine. Stop making the E39 seem like a "luxury" car. The crappy "wood" trim and leather can't hide the fact that with its stiff chassis that it's not meant to be anything other than a garage queen.

· Registered
2,433 Posts
well...

Let time tell...we will see! where it goes ...and ya, sorry they have a reputation as a Luxury sports sedan (ask Mercedes and Audi)...like it or not.

lets see he has a $6k car drops 50% of its value into a supercharger, adds 2k makin it roadworthy...so now there is $11k then there will be incidental costs and time...so total value probably around $18-20k and still NOT be an ///M5 where you could drop $20k and get an ///M5 already done...seems like a no brainer to me.

My hunch is NOTHING HAPPENS, and you end up blowing off steam about NOTHING.

Like I said...let time be my judge...and look the forum has been around for some time...look how many people start the same 'type' of thread only to drop it when they realize they are in way over their heads...

· Registered
60 Posts
$50,000 BMW Dragster made easy:

1. strip car down to nothing

2. build custom frame and cage (don't forget to tub the rear!!!) $10g's

3. insert your choice of super high hp engine/trans combo $30g's

4. Contact Randy's Ring and Pinion and have them build you a rear to handle the motor/trans. $5g's

5. Once drivetrain is assembled, reassemble the rest of the car (including fitting a set of 30" slicks).

6. Post the time slips when you have it done.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy. This can actually be applied to pretty much any car.

· Registered
7,078 Posts
Well looks like you guys have beat this topic to death. So it's OK for the factory to drop a bigger engine (M5) in an E39 and charge $15K+ more for it but not OK for QMAX to do it?
There are numerous 528's with Chevy LS engine transplants around that will embarrass M5's at the track and still ride and handle like a true BMW.
I choose this mod back in '03 just before the warranty ran out, now at 138K and 475HP at the crank.
True, there are better cars to use to make into drag cars, however it's his car and he is free to do whatever he wants to it. When I take my car to BMW car shows its the one that usually has the most people looking at it, snapping pics of it, and asking questions about it.

· Registered
7,078 Posts
Always nice looking at Raza's engine pics. Both of those mods must require very deep pockets!
I wonder how streetable those cars are?

· CPR ..
627 Posts
Op:
Keeping your engine; Building power
I assume your referring to your e39 for this thread. We have alot of options for more power for our 528s. Of course if you want to make more power out of the original motor you need a supercharger or less commonly used turbocharger. You could go with a twin screw type that delivers more torque than a centrifugal which gets its power a bit later in the rpm band. ESS has a twin screw vs AA or VF that have centrifugal units. The twin screw is more expensive so you do end up paying for the extra torque earlier on. If you want even more power you can upgrade to stage 2-x kits which have larger pulleys and belts for more boost, larger injectors and intercooled applications in some instances. However take note that the higher in boost you go the more risk you will put your "stock" engine. When I say stock I mean an engine having no modifications to the head to hold pressure, head gasket, stronger bolts for the head and stronger pistons ect ect.. The "safe" level for boost is within 6-8 psi, any more and you might need stronger internals. In addition your transmission has to be strong enough to handle the increase power ( and torque especially if you go the twin screw route). Having an auto will mandate changing to a stick like a 5 speed for us i6ers. Budget the price for a trans, clutch able to handle the power your putting down, flywheel, slave and master, pedals, cluster, driveshaft and shift linkages . You will also need an alignment of the EWS and DME I believe. This is expensive but worth it if you really want it.

Engine swap:V8

You could go with an engine swap. For us I6ers, swapping to a v8 from the 540s (M62/tu) or M5 (S62) will require the entire front of the vehicle ( and nearly all major parts from the m5). For one the heavier weight of the v8s will make you loose alot of parts from the I6. For one the entire subframe (front) including the R&R (rack and pinion) will be lost and you'd gain the recirculating ball steering system that is less responsive in corners than the R&R, struts and shocks for the heavier engine weight, and various suspension components. Plus the 5 speed auto or 6 speed manual transmission from the 540/ m5 as your 97 528 has a 4 speed auto. Add the driveshaft and diff . This costs money but is doable as well.

Engine Swap: S54

IF not the v8 you could do a swap my friend is doing which is taking virtually everything off an e46 m3 to put on his car ( a 99 528i). This job is being performed by an extremely reputable shop based in NYC. ** One thing to remember is its better to buy a damaged car (not impacting any major stuff such as a side impacted car) so that you wouldnt have to waste time and money sourcing out parts . After the transfer of parts minus the engine my friend will arrange to have a hpf kit installed or supercharger kit costing a great amount of money but thats his project not mine.

Engine Swap: 2JZ T/TT

You could always do a Supra 2JZTT swap. Not sure to what extent parts will need to be changed but electrics seem like a nightmare. You could find these engines for a reasonable price with the trans and source a shop to do the swap. Ask for a quote and see if thats the direction you would like to go. Look for a couple 2JZ swapped e39s on m5board and youtube.

Engine Swap: LSx

A couple forum members have done an LSx swap. note: LSx isnt the actual name of the engine since the x could mean any engine coming from the LS series including LS1, LS3 ect. You could buy a used motor and trans combo for a very reasonable price and drop them in. I've heard some LSx engines are very light and the subframe from out I6s can still be used. Im not sure whatelse would need to be changed besides the motor and trans so you have to research that for yourself. Again find a shop capable to do the swap and ask them if they had experience with these swapping jobs, whats needed and decide if this is the route you want to go.

I tried to outline some choices as best I could, and I really tried to make my info as accurate as possible based on my own research, experiences and advice given by various shops. In the end its up to you to validate or reject info based on your desires and budget. Im not sure about a drag car though, your better off going with something easier to work with and lighter. A luxury german sedan might not be the best choice. After all you dont see them on passtime :rolleyes:. Sorry for the long read/post and good luck,

**If any info I wrote needs to be corrected please let me know**

· Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I always thought you could do something like this. What parts are they transplanting and from what typical engine. There are a lot of GM engines:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_LS_engine

Well looks like you guys have beat this topic to death. So it's OK for the factory to drop a bigger engine (M5) in an E39 and charge $15K+ more for it but not OK for QMAX to do it?
There are numerous 528's with Chevy LS engine transplants around that will embarrass M5's at the track and still ride and handle like a true BMW.
I choose this mod back in '03 just before the warranty ran out, now at 138K and 475HP at the crank.
True, there are better cars to use to make into drag cars, however it's his car and he is free to do whatever he wants to it. When I take my car to BMW car shows its the one that usually has the most people looking at it, snapping pics of it, and asking questions about it.

· Registered
7,078 Posts
The complete Chevy LS engine and either a 6 speed or auto that goes with the LS. You need a shortened drive shaft too.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.