Rotate the fixators (3)
Pull the whole thing down
Disconnect the light

Stage 2 - removing the filters

Unscrew (1)
Disconnect the hose (3)

Unlock fixators (1)
Gently remove the cover using a special holder in the back of it
Be sure not to do it with force as to not break (3)

Eject both filters (1)

Stage 3 - installing the filters

Make sure the arrows direction match the ejected filter cartridges

Inject the filters
Use duct tape to make them hold inside and not fall off, otherwise it will be hard to mount the cover

This stage might be tricky and I struggled a lot with the aligners, couldn't match the distant one.

Using the special finger holder, gently match the cover with aligners (3), do not use force and do not get angry if it didn't work, it should be very easy, you just need to insert the part using the right angle
Latch (1)

Screw (1) and connect (3)

Install the mantle by undoing stage 1

PS: screw type is poly-drive. I guess.

Attachments

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
7,636 Posts
Mods, please make this a sticky. I got charged an arm and a leg when the dealership did mine.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
G30 Cabin Filters R&R

Mods, please make this a sticky. I got charged an arm and a leg when the dealership did mine.
+1 I've added a subscription for this thread but a "sticky" would be very helpful!

My most recent cabin filter replacement was covered under the maintenance warranty - but the next will be on my dime unless I trade for something "different".

So these instructions are very clear a - especially with the helpful "tips"! :thumbup:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If someone can help fix my bad English and improve the instruction - please do, I will appreciate that.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Cabin filter instructions

If someone can help fix my bad English and improve the instruction - please do, I will appreciate that.
A picture is worth 1000 words - Your DIY is great :) :thumbup:

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,495 Posts
The procedure is at www.newtis.info. enter with your VIN-7. search / browse

·
Official Bangle Hater
513 Posts
Someone should note for the G30, the arrows for both filters face towards the engine bay, not towards the cabin.

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
My local dealer charges $184.85 for the filters and $179.52 for an hour labor, so $400 with tax. (That's an arm and a leg in my book too!)
The filters can be purchased online (factory BMW) for $45 to $60, and even less for aftermarket.

The procedure is a bit fiddly, similar to the procedure on the F10 5 series...I did one of those in 20 minutes after watching a Youtube video. Why the dealer sees fit to charge an hour? Cause that's the book time BMW gives, and allows the dealer to print money...

·
Registered
60 Posts
My local dealer charges $184.85 for the filters and $179.52 for an hour labor, so $400 with tax. (That's an arm and a leg in my book too!)
The filters can be purchased online (factory BMW) for $45 to $60, and even less for aftermarket.

The procedure is a bit fiddly, similar to the procedure on the F10 5 series...I did one of those in 20 minutes after watching a Youtube video. Why the dealer sees fit to charge an hour? Cause that's the book time BMW gives, and allows the dealer to print money...
that is ridiculous, there's nothing special in these filters other than their dimensions to fit the car.

·
Registered
2020 BMW 530e xDrive
546 Posts

Yikes. How much is a typical service at this dealer?

Making me wonder if I should opt for the Ultimate Care + to keep this insanity from happening.

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
Yikes. How much is a typical service at this dealer?

Making me wonder if I should opt for the Ultimate Care + to keep this insanity from happening.
Maybe. You should speak with your local dealer about their charges for normal maintenance.
Also check with local independent BMW service providers.

Note that any BMW dealer is likely to hit you with a mandatory "Service Standard Scope" labor charge anytime you bring your BMW in for scheduled maintenance. This is simply a readout of all the computers on the car. My dealer charges $179.52 for this (hour labor). Its an automatic service and charge with any scheduled maintenance. (don't assume independent providers won't hit you up for this charge, I'm learning they mimic dealer services now, though the rates maybe lower)

So coming in for second year "free" maintenance service, this is what it would cost if paying directly:

$179.52 Service Standard Scope labor
$184.85 microfilters parts
$179.52 labor to install microfilters
$140.87 oil, filter and windshield wash fluid parts
$28.50 labor for oil and filter change
$21.51 shop materials charge
-$17.91 discount

$695.35 total
$68.06 TAX
$763.41 TOTAL

My car is a Canadian market car with four years free maintenance, but is not typically transferable to the USA. Due to the Covid19 border closure, I am unable to take it to Vancouver, BC for service, so BMW Canada suggested I take it to my local dealer, then submit the bill for reimbursement through my Canadian dealer's warranty dept. (Kelowna BMW)

·
Registered
2020 BMW 530e xDrive
546 Posts
Maybe. You should speak with your local dealer about their charges for normal maintenance.
Also check with local independent BMW service providers.

Note that any BMW dealer is likely to hit you with a mandatory "Service Standard Scope" labor charge anytime you bring your BMW in for scheduled maintenance. This is simply a readout of all the computers on the car. My dealer charges $179.52 for this (hour labor). Its an automatic service and charge with any scheduled maintenance. (don't assume independent providers won't hit you up for this charge, I'm learning they mimic dealer services now, though the rates maybe lower)

So coming in for second year "free" maintenance service, this is what it would cost if paying directly:

$179.52 Service Standard Scope labor
$184.85 microfilters parts
$179.52 labor to install microfilters
$140.87 oil, filter and windshield wash fluid parts
$28.50 labor for oil and filter change
$21.51 shop materials charge
-$17.91 discount

$695.35 total
$68.06 TAX
$763.41 TOTAL

My car is a Canadian market car with four years free maintenance, but is not typically transferable to the USA. Due to the Covid19 border closure, I am unable to take it to Vancouver, BC for service, so BMW Canada suggested I take it to my local dealer, then submit the bill for reimbursement through my Canadian dealer's warranty dept. (Kelowna BMW)
A base charge to read the computer? Yet reading the computer is needed to perform the service?

I'll reach out to the local dealers and see what the story looks like so I'm not too annoyed going into service. Thanks for the heads up!

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,495 Posts
Hooking up the computer is 1 FRU.

The ***8216;computer***8217; has the collection of BMW Test Plans© which BMW holds quite closely as their Expert System. If I had reliable access to the BMW Test Plans© I would seriously consider charging for my consultancy; and never pick up a tool.

There is one Indie that I know of in my state, and he wants to be just like a BMW stealership when he grows up. I went to him first when I got my CPO and asked for an estimate; his Security Through Obscurity was beyond me.

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
A base charge to read the computer? Yet reading the computer is needed to perform the service?

I'll reach out to the local dealers and see what the story looks like so I'm not too annoyed going into service. Thanks for the heads up!
I'm not sure how necessary it is to have the Service Standard Scope performed each time you have scheduled maintenance outside of warranty. You could probably decline it. But, I do believe that sort of scan does pick up things that may not necessarily trip the "service engine soon" light, yet are not operating correctly. For example the radiator vent grill flaps failure, commonly seen.

·
Registered
2020 BMW 530e xDrive
546 Posts

I'm not sure how necessary it is to have the Service Standard Scope performed each time you have scheduled maintenance outside of warranty. You could probably decline it. But, I do believe that sort of scan does pick up things that may not necessarily trip the "service engine soon" light, yet are not operating correctly. For example the radiator vent grill flaps failure, commonly seen.
Thanks. Yeah it is a learning curve switching brands and getting used to the way stuff is sorted out.

I'll probably do Ultimate Care + w/ the BMW Extended Warranty depending on what the dealers in my area say when I call them tomorrow.

I'd find the "Service Standard Scope" charge bizarre though as it sounds like something they should be doing anyway. Especially since it would lead to more warranty or non-warranty work (once your warranty is up). Or is this essentially what a "Vehicle Check" is and BMW only would be willing to cover that when CBS pings?

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
Thanks. Yeah it is a learning curve switching brands and getting used to the way stuff is sorted out.

I'll probably do Ultimate Care + w/ the BMW Extended Warranty depending on what the dealers in my area say when I call them tomorrow.

I'd find the "Service Standard Scope" charge bizarre though as it sounds like something they should be doing anyway. Especially since it would lead to more warranty or non-warranty work (once your warranty is up). Or is this essentially what a "Vehicle Check" is and BMW only would be willing to cover that when CBS pings?
No idea, my service advisor only said the Service Standard Scope is part of every scheduled service, and it is charged when outside the "free maintenance" period.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts