BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just washed my car with dawn and then washed with Griots car wash (next I'm going to go over the car with SpeedShine and claybar). But I noticed the brake rotors, which have an orangy/rusty finish, have some areas where it looks like the rust is dripping off. I think maybe it's because of the Dawn? I tried scrubbing it after spraying the Griots wheel cleaner but the rest wouldn't come off. How do I get it all off? I hope this isn't too confusing..my description sucks. Basically, there are "splatter-like' stains on the rust/orange finish, kind of like something (Dawn perhaps?) was cutting through the rust and cleaning it off.

G

·
djbacklash said:
I just washed my car with dawn and then washed with Griots car wash (next I'm going to go over the car with SpeedShine and claybar). But I noticed the break rotors, which have an orangy/rusty finish, have some areas where it looks like the rust is dripping off. I think maybe it's because of the Dawn? I tried scrubbing it after spraying the Griots wheel cleaner but the rest wouldn't come off. How do I get it all off? I hope this isn't too confusing..my description sucks. Basically, there are "splatter-like' stains on the rust/orange finish, kind of like something (Dawn perhaps?) was cutting through the rust and cleaning it off.
Use them. Rust disappears instantly.

G

·
djbacklash said:
So I shouldn't even bother trying to scrub it off?

Thanks
I'm really tempted to think that you're joking. But in case you're not...

Every time you wash your car, there is some oxidation on your rotors until you use them. It's normal and happens every time.

And it immeditately gets worn off the first time you use your brakes to stop the car.

·
5,820 Posts
djbacklash said:
LOL thanks! As you can tell I'm a complete newb at this ;) Previously all I did with my jeep was wash it, dry it, and maybe scrub on some turtle wax.
Yeah, but you probably couldn't see the rotors as well. It's just the usual rusting that comes during a wash, mine comes off just backing into the garage after a wash. Best way to clean rotors is to step on the brakes. Have fun.

·
5,820 Posts
djbacklash said:
I just washed my car with dawn and then washed with Griots car wash (next I'm going to go over the car with SpeedShine and claybar).
I assume you're going to polish and wax the car next. The second wash before claying was unnecessary, just leave wet after first, spray speedshine, and clay away. *Then* rewash with Griot's wash. Polish. Wax. Submit pics to forum. :thumbup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Re: How to clean break rotors (rust/grease)?

johnlew said:

I assume you're going to polish and wax the car next. The second wash before claying was unnecessary, just leave wet after first, spray speedshine, and clay away. *Then* rewash with Griot's wash. Polish. Wax. Submit pics to forum. :thumbup:
Yea I was originally going to do it that way but with the hot Texas sun out, I figured I'd wash the car and dry it off before it got too hot outside, then move it in the garage and claybar/polish/wax it in there. I'm also trying to follow the Griots Detailers Handbook as closely as possible (yea I'm a dumb newb :)). There are a bunch of dried water marks so hopefully the SpeedShine will take care of that.

Thanks for all the help guys! This is the first time I've done all this and even though it's a ton of work, I now understand why you guys love cleaning your cars so much! Next time I'll add a porter cable and portable stool with wheels to my shopping list - my legs are killing me from stooping down so much!

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
alee said:

You're not supposed to scrub them? :dunno: :D
I like the new signature Al:thumbup: Not quite as old school as mine though;)

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
alee said:

Appeasing the sig gods is hard.
Yea Alan F. is a tough one:tsk:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.