Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 fobs. One I use daily, the other is my spare. The spare has a bunch of weird radio station settings associated with it. I can't clear them out. I want to wipe this fob's settings out. I don't have any BMW specific code readers, cables, or programs. Is there a way to do this? I've searched this forum but came up empty. I don't have CA if that matters. Thanks!

·
What was that?
814 Posts
I have 2 fobs. One I use daily, the other is my spare. The spare has a bunch of weird radio station settings associated with it. I can't clear them out. I want to wipe this fob's settings out. I don't have any BMW specific code readers, cables, or programs. Is there a way to do this? I've searched this forum but came up empty. I don't have CA if that matters. Thanks!

Subscribed. I have same issue. My 2nd Fob is brand new

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
773 Posts
Same issue here. My indy said that's something I'd have to go to the dealer for, hoping not.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
16,445 Posts
Mine appears to allow me to just overwrite old settings, seat position, IHKA, button assignments ...

·
Registered
773 Posts
Mine appears to allow me to just overwrite old settings, seat position, IHKA, button assignments ...
Thanks Doug. You mean the key is saving the last settings you had in the car prior to shutdown?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had a similar issue when I got my 2013 X back in Sept. This is what I did to program the 2 keys the same....

1. Unlock and start vehicle using key fob with settings you want to keep.
2. Leave truck running, get out and lock doors using same key fob.
3. Leave primary key fob in house and unlock (running) vehicle with key fob to be over-written.
4. Enter vehicle and insert fob to be over-written into ignition.
5. Press MEMORY button on side of driver's seat and assign to a number (I have both keys assigned to #1)
6. Go for a quick ride before turning off engine (optional)

That set both my key fobs to have the same settings. Hope it works for you.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I had a similar issue when I got my 2013 X back in Sept. This is what I did to program the 2 keys the same....

3. Leave primary key fob in house and unlock (running) vehicle with key fob to be over-written.
5. Press MEMORY button on side of driver's seat and assign to a number (I have both keys assigned to #1)

Thanks! Now have to ask how do you know which one is primary?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry - by "primary" I mean the key fob that has the settings that you want to keep/copy. The OP stated that he had one he used every day - and a spare that had weird settings that he didn't want. The everyday one would be the "primary" in my instructions.

You're basically tricking the car into using the fob with the settings you're used to - and then saving the settings onto the fob that isn't normally used using the seat memory.

I've learned that the memory settings on the driver's seat - save WAY more than just the seat position. I re-save my settings every time I changed anything on the iDrive - radio stations, audio settings, split screen layout, etc.

Hope that helps.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
16,445 Posts
Thanks Doug. You mean the key is saving the last settings you had in the car prior to shutdown?
Yeah, I think so. I’ve never paid much attention as it just seems to work.

The seat position does have a M memory button. The programmable buttons record iDrive settings with a long push but I seldom use them.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Thanks E-Novo. That gives me hope that there is a way to do it. My only problem (and maybe it is a difference between 2010's and 2013's) is that I can't keep the vehicle running and get out and lock the doors as you mention in step 2. My fob stays in the dash slot. I have to turn the car off if I want to take the fob out and do anything with it.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Thanks E-Novo. That gives me hope that there is a way to do it. My only problem (and maybe it is a difference between 2010's and 2013's) is that I can't keep the vehicle running and get out and lock the doors as you mention in step 2. My fob stays in the dash slot. I have to turn the car off if I want to take the fob out and do anything with it.
Same issue here with my 2008.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts