BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So every time after I start the car and go, all the doors automatically lock. I don't want that and actually hate that because it's a safety problem if you are ever in an accident and the doors are locked.

Any ideas how to turn this feature off? Hope I don't have to go to the dealer, but I would guess I might have to.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Dealer has to program it. My never used to but I had them change it. Don't worry, if you're in an accident the window can be broken out if it's not already to unlock the door if you're unconcious.

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
don't the doors automatically unlock if you've been in an accident?

·
Registered
323 Posts
My doors don't automatically lock.. :( I kinda wish I had it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Yes that is correct. That is actually a great safety feature so not sure why you wouldn't want it. Details are in your owners manual.
Yes, if you are in an accident that is severe enough to trigger the airbags, the following happens...

1. The positive battery terminal is physically 'blown' off the battery with an explosive charge.
2. All the doors are unlocked (unless you have physically pushed on the lock tab for that door)
3. The interior lights are switched on
4. The hazard warning lights are switched on
5. (depending on whether it is fitted) The BMW SOS system will place a call to BMW to inform them that you have had an accident and to send medical assistance to that location.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would still rather drive with my doors unlocked. Just to be safe. What if I was in an accident that didn't trigger the airbags and I needed to escape the doors were locked?

Another related point is that when I turn off the car and go to open my door I have to pull the door handle twice? Can't that be changed? That's also annoying.

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
if you are in an accident that is severe enough to trigger the airbags, the following happens...

1. The positive battery terminal is physically 'blown' off the battery with an explosive charge.
Is that a joke? Or for real? (Time to hit the search button if it's true)...

- I found this obscure reference to a "battery disconnect thing" associated with the airbags going off ...
- Here's another bare glimpse of the battery disconnect upon accidents ...
- This one calls it a BST (battery safety terminal) intimating a "cable comes out of a socket" ...
- This alludes to the battery disconnect feature of the BMWs in a crash ...
- And this one shows a picture of a battery disconnect but from the factory ...
- Another obscure reference to a battery disconnect feature ...
- This discusses obscurely the battery safety device ...
- Again, an obscure reference to an explosive battery disconnect device ...

Is there a thread (that I missed) that discusses how this thing works and what it looks like and where it lies?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I suspect this feather is actually programmed into each individual key. I have one key autolock the doors, the other key doesn't.

·
Freude am Fahren
2,400 Posts
I would still rather drive with my doors unlocked. Just to be safe. What if I was in an accident that didn't trigger the airbags and I needed to escape the doors were locked?

Another related point is that when I turn off the car and go to open my door I have to pull the door handle twice? Can't that be changed? That's also annoying.
Your car can be programed, by the dealer, to lock or not lock the doors when you start out, and also to unlock or to not unlock when you shut it down. It can also be programed for the remote to unlock all doors or just the driver's on the first push of the remote. Many don't want the doors unlocked automatically for safety reasons. And yes each key can have different settings. I guess it depends on the neighborhood you live and drive in, and your level of fear.

BTW: How to "escape" a locked BMW---Pull the inside door handle twice, open door and get out. Note: if you are in the back, with the child-guard locks on, you're screwed, but if you happen to be in the trunk, you have an escape handle.

·
WTB - your E39 M5
6,216 Posts
I have auto locks and I cant stand them because when you stop the car and put it in park they still are locked. If they automatically unlocked then I would like them

·
Registered
46 Posts
Soledoc, I called Dryer & Reinhold there on the north side close to you, and they quoted me a half hour of labor to make the changes so basically $60 for the work. I also want to get rid of the auto lock, and the day time running lamps on my new wagon. They can change quite a few things with the computer. I haven't found a decent independent shop in Indy yet that is any more affordable than Dryer. If anyone knows of a decent Indy shop please pass it along.

·
I need to replace what?
430 Posts
Stopping Auto Lock

I just have to say something here.

1. First of all, when you are in a wreck, Your BMW will automatically UNLOCK the doors for you, when you come to rest.

2. If you can't stand pulling your handle twice, (first, to unlock, second time to open the door), why don't you just get used to it? It takes less than a 1/2 second to do, I always instinctively do it. And I always think about the safety factor- why is this put in our cars?

When driving my wife's car, not a BMW, I do it again. It's automatic. It still opens my wife's car...LOL, and I always think about that when I open her car...

3. Have you ever read the manual?

Maybe you have only had your BMW for a few weeks, or maybe you're 17... :dunno:

·
Freude am Fahren
2,400 Posts
If you are going to take your car in to change this, it would pay you to research all the programmable features. I have even seen a form that allows you to check off all your preferences. The cost of doing the reprogramming is the same if it is one change or many, so get everything the way you want it.

·
Freude am Fahren
6,378 Posts
I don't live in a particularly bad neighbourhood, but I know that my locks are loud and when I'm driving through a neighbourhood that's not so nice (which is most of Hamilton) and come to a stoplight, it's irritating if I've forgotten to lock my doors***8212;it draws attention to the skinny kid in the BMW, or so I imagine.

It doesn't hurt to have the doors automatically lock, and you can program it to unlock them when you turn off the key, I believe. Get the list (I have it in an un-postable format but will transfer it and post after school) and look it over before you spend the money on programming.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts