Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't much like the antiquated center console phone. Does anyone know how to disconnect it from the integrated system? I've tried to just remove the handset, which worked for a while, then I started getting onboard PHONE error messages, which would only go away if I reconnected the handset! How do you at least keep it turned OFF all the time, so that it will not come on every time I start the car? The incredibly LOUD phone tone that beeps whenever I start it up is very annoying and sometimes startling. Since the system is integrated to the car audio etc. controls, it doesn't appear to be an easy thing to delete it.... Should I just start yanking fuses or what? Help!!

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Will removing the pin connector prevent the recurrent PHONE error message from popping up?? I guess I can just try it and see.....

·
oOO (|||) (|||) OOo
219 Posts
Yes, once the phone is unplugged, it's no longer detected by the MID so the PHONE message should disappear. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Joy: If I end up taking it out, I'll contact you; I don't know what I'll do with it. If there is some market on ebay, I may try that route, but if not I'll let you know.

DBoy: Did you have any issues regarding PHONE errors coming up after you disconnected the phone? Also, how did the OEM tray fit? Did you have to install new hardware to make the console flip open? Presently, of course, it only slides back and forth and the phone electronics are inside. Add'l hardware would be required to convert the console to open up for tray access....

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Joy: If I end up taking it out, I'll contact you; I don't know what I'll do with it. If there is some market on ebay, I may try that route, but if not I'll let you know.

DBoy: Did you have any issues regarding PHONE errors coming up after you disconnected the phone? Also, how did the OEM tray fit? Did you have to install new hardware to make the console flip open? Presently, of course, it only slides back and forth and the phone electronics are inside. Add'l hardware would be required to convert the console to open up for tray access....

It comes out from the back and following the web site directions it was about a 30 minute job, the tray snaps in and its pretty easy to understand once you get the arm rest off, trust me.

I was not having any error codes at all. My phone unpluged in minutes and the plugs where all factory ones that un-snap...it was quite easy really.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not sure if another phone will connect well enough to use all the integrated functions, which is the only real benefit to the stock phone. I don't need it--I ordered the storage slot to replace the phone, so I'm waiting for that to ship before I start tearing out the guts of the phone.... Now I'm just trying to figure out where to put my Sirius Sat. radio....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts