BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys prolly going "huh??" to my question.

oh well, what the heck. I am and have been an AT driver.

Is there any where I can get educated how to drive in manual mode? Does the same logic for driving stick apply? No difference? Not like I know the logic for stick tho :p......

When I talk to people who drive stick, they just confuse me, so I thought I should just ask here, something in writing and give me enuf time to think..:D

·
10,856 Posts
Umm, there really isn't much to it. The lower your gear, the more RPMs, and therefore the more work your engine does in any given period of time.
Basically, when you need power, click it forward, when you want quiet and fuel efficiency, pull it back. (Assuming you drive a 2002, 2001 and older have this reversed.)

Oh, yes and... Shame on you for buying that pansy tranny. :bigpimp: :)

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let the guys who have auto tranny hear that statement and see how they react, but for me, I take no offense :p :p

So click it forward? Meaning shifting to lower gear I suppose(thats how my steptronic is).... so correct me if i am wrong:
1. lower gear, more power, higher gear less power
2. more power=more gas
3. so i want more speed.... then wat???

And how do you determine when to shift from 2nd to 3rd, or 3rd to 4th, 4th to 5th? Come on dont tell me you can feel it, because I dont..... Please give me something more equational.... if possible ......:confused: :confused:

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Bimmee, the car's computer won't let you do anything that will harm the engine/transmission...best thing is to go to a large parking lot, or secluded area and "play" with it. Turn the radio off, so you can better hear what the engine is doing...and have some fun:thumbup:

·
10,856 Posts
Basically, the louder the engine is, the harder it will accelerate when you push it. You downshift as far as the computer will let you when you want to merge or pass, let's say, and you upshift when you're just cruising around.

You can only go so fast in each gear. 1st goes to 35MPH or so, 2nd to 60ish, 3rd to 85 or so. If you're trying for the fastest straight line acceleration possible, just slap it into first in M mode and put the throttle to the floor, the computer will upshift for you.

if you're trying to accelerate smoothly, upshift around 3000 RPMs. There is no perfect equation that will tell you exactly when to shift. Frankly, though, IMHO step is really only good for passing and other situations where you want the car downshifted for maximum available acceleration.

You might want to take a look over here for an explanation of of engine output. http://www.vettenet.org/torquehp.html

hth

·
10,856 Posts
So click it forward? Meaning shifting to lower gear I suppose(thats how my steptronic is).... so correct me if i am wrong:
1. lower gear, more power, higher gear less power
Yep
2. more power=more gas
Yep
3. so i want more speed.... then wat???
You upshift. The lower gears sacrifice top speed to make more power available. The higher ones sacrifice power to make the car go faster.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, now i have something to work with...... :D

but what is: put the throttle to the floor?

·
10,856 Posts
bimmee said:
ok, now i have something to work with...... :D

but what is: put the throttle to the floor?
Push the gas pedal all the way down. :)

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
kewl!! Thanks!!

Now let me go find a secluded area....

·
Gone Motoring!
2,025 Posts
hi bimmee... just put in in "1", and it should shift for you when u have to shift... u dont have to do anything... the steptronic fancy electronics does it for you... :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
ayn said:
hi bimmee... just put in in "1", and it should shift for you when u have to shift... u dont have to do anything... the steptronic fancy electronics does it for you... :D :D :D :D
:confused: :confused:

Must be the heat in texas....

·
non sequitur
888 Posts
Uh... interesting sugestions...

Anyway as a wimpy 325i AT driver that now regrets not getting the MT, I'll summarize how I use the Steptronic mode. (stop laughing damnit) :cry:

From a stop, I start in 1st. As the engine revs up to 2k, I shift to second, as it revs to 2k again, then third. This keeps the engine quiet and the shifts smooth. You have to remember that the ratios in the AT are different from the MT, so smooth shift points differ.

Going uphill, I usually let the engine rev to 3k before shifting. On straight freeway on-ramps, I let the sucker rev to 5k+ ;)

Oh yes, 5th gear is almost unecessary unless you're crusing a long time on the freeway. It olny seems to drop the revs by < 1k versus 4th!

And yes, you can shift without taking your foot off the gas. It seems to like it that way anyway.

Ok, when you're slowing down, you can downshift once the revs drop below 2.5k. Any lower and the AT doesn't have enough power to shift quickly. Relatively quickly anyway. I advise not down shifting below 3rd gear unless you're going to a complete stop or else the car will lurch. Heel and toe does not apply to Steptronic.

Around town with a lot of stoplights you can downshift to second if you're going less than 25mph, otherwise at any higher speed, the car lurches.

Just before you get to a stoplight or stopsign, downshift to first. You have to get the timing JUST right or else the car will lurch. Otherwise you can just stop completely and downshift, but the transmision will certainly take it time to shift. You should never downshift into first at any time, except when you are about to stop.

Passing on the highway, you need to downshift to 4th for decent power (in a 325 anyway), and maybe even 3rd if you want to pass in a hurry.

And that's about it.

Hope I confused the hell out of eveyone. :D

·
Banned
5,341 Posts
The explanations above based on power (actually torque would be more appropriate) are not entirely accurate and too complicated. If you want the best fuel efficiency, just watch the instant consumption dial and try to make the needle go to the 50 side as much as possible. There is no good rule based on gears. Too many variables.

This is as simple a rule as you can get:
Try to stay within 2000-4000 rpm at all times (while you car is moving). If it goes above 4000rpm, shift one gear higher. If it drops below 2000rmp, shift one gear lower.

·
Senior Slacker
5,647 Posts
Hey it's da kine 'eh:D Seriously I find myself in M most of the time because; I live on a hill and want peak power going up and engine breaking going down, in M you can downshift for all the damn lights, and it's more fun. SD is not bad, I have been doing more driving on H-1 and H-2 lately so once in a while I will use D. Unlike others I don't feel the need to use M1 most of the time.

·
I miss my baby
162 Posts
Shifting

Since i have a 5 spd i can't say any of this for sure but since we both have the 325 maybe we can compare cars on a theoretical basis. In general I have found the biggest gain in power to be above 4000 rpm's usually between 4-5000 rpm's so try in Manual mode to run the gear out at least to 4500 and then shift it into the next gear and so on. If you are in auto mode the transmission will automatically shift before this, taking all the fun out of this engine. do this until you are comfortable shifting and try going a little higher to see how the car behaves. The Tachometer has a Red area called a redline which you should not exceed and the computer has a rev limiter which will not allow you to do so. so have fun...

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks y'all for the inputs. How can I not love this board. :thumbup:

Now I understand the concept of shifting up when it goes beyond 4000rpm(I think). What is the purpose of shifting down when it drops below 2000? So if I come to a completely stop while in 4th or 3rd gear and then shift to 1st before accelerating, thats BAD?

·
10,856 Posts
It's not bad. (The last step I drove was a 740i Sport, which would shift to three if you were in 4th or 5th.)
That said, your car is pretty sluggish off the line in first gear. If you try to launch in third, it will take you FOREVER to get to reasonable speeds like 30MPH.

You up shift when you either a) want to go faster than the gear can handle, or b) when you want less noise and/or fuel consumption.

You downshift when you need to accelerate.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
gotcha gotcha!!

Wish I had learned how to drive stick before getting this car, if I did, it wont be an auto tranny. I am having so much fun just driving in manual mode, cant imagine if I am driving a stick....

·
10,856 Posts
There's always time to do it later. :)

If no friend with a manual car is available, you can always find a driver's school to learn at.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts