BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I spent ages searching through forums to figure this out. It seems everyone has the same issue, but there are really no solutions... until now!

If you can hear your pump working, but no water comes out of the nozzles, this is the easiest fix. But first, let me bask in my own sense of self accomplishment for a moment........ ahhhhhh. Now, here we go:

1. Dont bother taking out the pump, because if you can hear it working, then it works. The filter is just blocked with mould and algae. (If you cant hear the pump, then you need to take the tyre off, take off the wheel lining, pull the bottle out and replace the pump).

2. If you can hear he pump, unscrew the filter near the nozzels. Then, unplug the first nozzle and push it into a garden hose. This will allow water to run through the hose and onto the ground.

3. Next, pour household bleach down the washer pipe. About a half cup to start with. Then fill it with boiling hot water. This is why you need the hose - to stop bleach going over your engine and car.

4. Start using your washers via the stalk. It may take a while for the algae to break down. After about 10-20mins, water will start coming out through the hose. If some goes onto the car pour a heap of water over it.

5. Once the water is low, refill the washer inlet with bleach and hot water and keep using the stalk to work the washer.

After about 20-30 mins, your nozzels will be clean again. Easy fix.

Let some of the bleach/water mix sit overnight to kill the rest of the algae.

· Registered
579 Posts
I was lazy and had just been using water. Ill stick with the BMW stuff now.
I would say that with the bottle sitting right next to the engine, it becomes a nice warm breeding ground for mould.
Must be nice, not having to worry about freezing. Our windshield fluid has enough anti-freeze and ethanol in it to ensure nothing survives it. Also, according to wikipedia, you can get Legionnaires disease from using plain water:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windshield_washer_fluid#Legionnaires.27_disease

· Registered
211 Posts
Thanks for the advice***8230;..this exact same thing also happened to my car. I went to use it after a seagull strike on the windscreen when visiting the Gold Coast. Just when I needed it to work most, nothing! Had no choice but take it to a dealer and they said it clogged up with gunk. Seems the original owner only used tap water in it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.