BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the glass on my 650I is clean, but i see what I call “small sparkles” in the glass that drives me crazy. Looking through the glass at the correct angle shows the imperfection . using a soft towel across the glass actually sticks to the glass, like it’s rough. Car is garage kept, no winters, stored. 2008 with 27K miles. Any ideas how to correct this?

· Registered
17,525 Posts
Sand and very small rocks will scratch the windshield. It could also be caused by some sort of paint. An old girlfriend lived near a shipyard, and got her Ford Bronco II painted "Navy gray" on a windy day.

If it's some sort of paint, a solvent might work. I had a crappy bodyshop overspray a brand new windshield after some of Frau Putzer's stunt driving. She played chicken with a Toyota... it was a tie. I got the overspray off with toluene.

If the rough spots are scratches in the glass, and they're not too deep, they can be removed by polishing the glass. I've never done that, but a friend bought a 100k mile car that had been in the Central Valley of California and had a lot of scratches on the windshield. Polishing it improved it greatly.

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sand and very small rocks will scratch the windshield. It could also be caused by some sort of paint. An old girlfriend lived near a shipyard, and got her Ford Bronco II painted "Navy gray" on a windy day.

If it's some sort of paint, a solvent might work. I had a crappy bodyshop overspray a brand new windshield after some of Frau Putzer's stunt driving. She played chicken with a Toyota... it was a tie. I got the overspray off with toluene.

If the rough spots are scratches in the glass, and they're not too deep, they can be removed by polishing the glass. I've never done that, but a friend bought a 100k mile car that had been in the Central Valley of California and had a lot of scratches on the windshield. Polishing it improved it greatly.
Great information, thanks, My car never left outdoors, garaged and never seen snow and rarely driven in rain unless caught in it. drive It about 2,000 miles per year. can’t imagine where this problem is coming from. Could a cleaner be the problem? thanks for your information.

· Registered
882 Posts
Great information, thanks, My car never left outdoors, garaged and never seen snow and rarely driven in rain unless caught in it. drive It about 2,000 miles per year. can’t imagine where this problem is coming from. Could a cleaner be the problem? thanks for your information.
  • wash well with shampoo, and a good chenille mitt during a wash or rinseless wash: this will get all the dirt off for the next step
  • Use clay & clay lube and/or rinseless wash mixed to QD / clay lube strength: this will remove microscopic particles stuck in the glass, be they paint or dirt or whatever
  • use a microfiber glass towel (waffle weave or diamond weave) to wipe dry
  • Use a 50:50 mix of 90%+ isopropyl alcohol and deionized water with a MF glass towel to thoroughly clean
  • Do the same last step on the inside of the windshield

Now your glass is truly 100% clean and decontaminated. At this point the problem will either be gone or it's pitting. If it's pitting, the next step is glass polishing to return it smooth.

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
  • wash well with shampoo, and a good chenille mitt during a wash or rinseless wash: this will get all the dirt off for the next step
  • Use clay & clay lube and/or rinseless wash mixed to QD / clay lube strength: this will remove microscopic particles stuck in the glass, be they paint or dirt or whatever
  • use a microfiber glass towel (waffle weave or diamond weave) to wipe dry
  • Use a 50:50 mix of 90%+ isopropyl alcohol and deionized water with a MF glass towel to thoroughly clean
  • Do the same last step on the inside of the windshield

Now your glass is truly 100% clean and decontaminated. At this point the problem will either be gone or it's pitting. If it's pitting, the next step is glass polishing to return it smooth.
Thank you! I appreciate your response and time it took to write it! Very much appreciated. I will let you know how it comes out

· Registered
17,525 Posts
Glass is pretty impervious to reactive chemicals.

My first guess would be sand/ and very small rocks. I noticed my manual gear shift boot kept filling up with sand. So was the crack between the seat bottom and the front adjustable bolster. "WTF?" is said. It was coming in the open sunroof. Cars constantly get showered with sand and worse.

My second guess would be some sort of "environmental fallout" (paint). If you try toluene, be REALLY careful not to get any on your paint. Put Glad Wrap or something over the hood and fenders in front of the windshield first.

My drug of choice lately is BMW and Porsche driving schools. Porsche sells their school cars annually. They refurbish the by changing the tires, brakes, clutch, and oddly, the windshield.

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glass is pretty impervious to reactive chemicals.

My first guess would be sand/ and very small rocks. I noticed my manual gear shift boot kept filling up with sand. So was the crack between the seat bottom and the front adjustable bolster. "WTF?" is said. It was coming in the open sunroof. Cars constantly get showered with sand and worse.

My second guess would be some sort of "environmental fallout" (paint). If you try toluene, be REALLY careful not to get any on your paint. Put Glad Wrap or something over the hood and fenders in front of the windshield first.

My drug of choice lately is BMW and Porsche driving schools. Porsche sells their school cars annually. They refurbish the by changing the tires, brakes, clutch, and oddly, the windshield.
Yes dust everywhere. Original car in Florida until I moved to ohio 3 years ago. Thank you

1 - 7 of 7 Posts